Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey History
 Most violent era in nhl?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
willus3 Posted - 11/06/2007 : 17:44:49
Thoughts on when the NHL was the most violent?
I've heard people say the 70's, based largely on the behavior of the Broad Street Bullies. While it was very dirty hockey those clowns were playing, I believe it pales in comparison to the vicious ways of the pre 60's NHL.
If you read some of the things that went on back then you'll understand what I'm saying. Scuffles seemed to escalate to extreme violence quite quickly. Probably more an indication of how evolved we were as a species at the time than anything else i guess.
But then came the Golden Age of Hockey. A period of about 15 years.
Then more violence for a few years. Then a League crackdown on that type of behavior. And none too soon either, for The Great One was about to come on the scene...

"I'm a man of principle... or not. Whatever the situation calls for." - Alan Shore
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
redwings85 Posted - 11/13/2007 : 06:37:42
quote:
Originally posted by LeafsFan4Life

I would have to the 40-60s just basing this on watching the rocket richard movie recently it seemed as though the guys in that era wanted to fight and they violently fought each other and no face masks for goalies and people swinging their sticks at people more then at the pucks. That seemed as though it was a pretty violent era in hockey.

Long Live Hockey!

I most certainly agree to this.

when you base this thread though... is it most fights in the Era?
Most Injuries to players? what?
90s Hockey was the prime when they hooked. . . THEY HOOKED! when they Held, THEY HELD!
The only time they got the gate was when the player ''fell'' on his ass.
not this cheesey stick perpendicular to the ice, lets call it!
LeafsFan4Life Posted - 11/12/2007 : 13:37:13
I would have to the 40-60s just basing this on watching the rocket richard movie recently it seemed as though the guys in that era wanted to fight and they violently fought each other and no face masks for goalies and people swinging their sticks at people more then at the pucks. That seemed as though it was a pretty violent era in hockey.

Long Live Hockey!
Greg Smith Posted - 11/08/2007 : 19:08:54
Also Fly, the equipment is a lot better now. Guys can now actually get off the ice after blocking a shot. In the 60's, there wasn't much hitting and the game wasn't as violent. I think guys like Moore would've been dead if they played in the 60's with guys like Simon and Bertuzzi running around out there. You've gotta take that into some consideration.

After playing in the NHL, it's hard to watch hockey games.
fly4apuckguy Posted - 11/07/2007 : 16:30:02
The NHL has had ebbs and flows in hockey violence. I'd argue that it is far more violent right now than in 2000-2004. More fights, a lot of super-violent acts lately...

I've probably argued 1970's because I somewhat remember that era (you know, the whole "Slapshot" thing), but in truth...

It has to be pre-1960's. Someone almost dying was an annual event. If you read some of the older players' books (guys like Howe, Meeker, etc.), a guy truly feared for his life at times. That hasn't happened for a long time, thankfully.

It's fashionable to say guys have no respect for each other anymore, but I haven't seen anyone in a coma due to a stick-swinging incident lately. Yes, that has something to do with the equipment, but like willus said, there was a tendency for things to escalate to extreme violence quickly back then.
Greg Smith Posted - 11/07/2007 : 14:10:56
before the lockout, from 2000-2004

After playing in the NHL, it's hard to watch hockey games.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page