Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey History
 Vintage Hockey On NHL Network

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
willus3 Posted - 11/14/2007 : 12:00:51
Anyone else catch the Boston Toronto game the other day on the NHL Network?
It was a 1971 game in April. Only a couple of games left in the season and the game that saw the first person ever to reach 100 assists in a season. I can't tell you what a pleasure that game was to watch. I wish they would show more of the older stuff like that.
For any of you young guys, I strongly urge you to keep your eyes peeled for these games when they show them.
If you saw this game you would understand why people say what they do about Orr. He absolutely dominated the entire game. It literally looked like he was playing with children.
Honestly as much as you hear me rave about him, I had forgotten just how good he really was. I PVR'd it so I can enjoy it again.

"I'm a man of principle... or not. Whatever the situation calls for." - Alan Shore
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
fly4apuckguy Posted - 11/17/2007 : 08:30:11
Remember, way back in olden times, when CBC showed Habs games? I guess they still do regionally, but the only way the Habs get a national audience now is if the Leafs are not playing. That happened once in the past three years, I think.
PuckNuts Posted - 11/15/2007 : 23:48:52
Nothing like some old time hockey, I have the Bell Expressvu hockey package also...

It is sad when I see a game from 1966, and I remember seeing that game on CBC live Saturday night... Gray is as old as I can look...

I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
- - Marshall McLuhan

MSC Posted - 11/14/2007 : 20:17:08
This past summer I watched the old Jays play off series against Philly. It was like I was watching it again for the first time. I was yelling at the TV, jumping around like a little kid. I knew exactly what was going to happen but it didn't matter. To be fair I also put about 20 of Mr. Keiths finest down range by this time so that may have contributed. Point being, yeah, the classic games are great.
fly4apuckguy Posted - 11/14/2007 : 20:09:11
I get LeafsTV...not a Leaf fan. It comes with my Bell Expressvu hockey package. I watch it a fair amount, actually.

The one thing my kids say when they watch the 70's and 80's games are how little the players are, especially the goalies.

I tell them they were somewhat smaller on average, but not as much as they look by comparison to today's players. It makes you realize how much equipment has changed.

Can you imagine what Ken Dryden would look like in 2007 goalie equipment? Good god.
Leafs Rock Planet Posted - 11/14/2007 : 18:35:05
I agree that NHL Network is great for showing vintage games.

I dont know if it is like this for any other Canadian team but the Toronto Maple Leafs have there own station called LeafsTV. Besides the periodic vintage game and present Leafs game, I have this channel and it is garbage.

Does anybody know if any other team has their own channel?
Guest8815 Posted - 11/14/2007 : 18:11:41
NHL Network is the single greatest station there is. NHL on The Fly every night 7PM-12AM and Vintage games practically all day. With a few live NHL games. Nothing even compares to it.
OILINONTARIO Posted - 11/14/2007 : 16:57:03
CBC first started showing vintage hockey on Saturday nights during the '94 lockout. It almost made me happy that there was a lockout.

The Oil WILL make the playoffs.
Beans15 Posted - 11/14/2007 : 16:46:10
Occasionally I will get ESPN Classic as a free watch for a month. My wife hates it. I love watching classic games and not only hockey. NBA before 95 was great, old NFL and CFL, and of course classic NHL.

It is a total education to watch a game from before your time or one from when you were a kid. You totally appreciate where the game has come. For anyone that did not watch hockey before 1990, and specifically late 70's-early 80's, it is a total shock to see the equipment used today compared to then. It's even more of a shock to see a game from the late 60's or early 70's. The first time I watched a game wear the goalies weren't wearing a mask was amazing.

Ah, the good old days.

Wayne or Bobby?? How about both!!!
fly4apuckguy Posted - 11/14/2007 : 15:30:01
I love the classic games on TV.

I should be a millionaire. About fifteen years ago, maybe more (1990ish)I wrote a letter (yes, no email) to CBC asking them why they don't play classic games at like midnight or something. I never received an answer.

Then the classic networks came along, and a couple of years ago CBC was running classic games at night, too.

Somebody owes me some cash.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page