Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey History
 What have been the biggest trades ever in history?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest4590 Posted - 01/27/2008 : 20:05:46
I'll start it off like the Hossa and Heatley trade.
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Leafsfan_94 Posted - 02/10/2008 : 16:45:04
i think so too....
but it was worth it

quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Lindros for Peter Forsberg, Chris Simon, Ron Hextall, Mike Ricci, Kerry Huffman, Steve Duchesne, a 1st round pick, and $15 million in cash.

That's it. That was the biggest.

Seriously, before the guy even laced up a pair of skates, Philly sold the farm to land Lindros. Forsberg?? Ricci?? Hextall?? and $15 million in cash???

A guy who never even played a game had a higher trade value than Wayne Gretzky???

Stupid, but also the biggest trade in history (to this point.)

Wayne or Bobby?? How about both!!!

>>>Go Leafs Go<<<
Leafsfan_94

Kovy_Sniper Posted - 02/10/2008 : 15:29:08
lol this wont be the biggest trade of all time... but it is probably the most even in my mind..

DANY HEATLEY to the OTTAWA SENATORS for forward MARIAN HOSSA to the ATLANTA THRASHERS. this was huge for me because my favorite team was the ottawa senators while i was a HUGE ilya kovalchuk fan, and still am, i had watched a lot of Heatley and i did like him aswell... so when i saw this going down. it was just unreal, my 2 favorite teams swaping players... while before i already had thought of what if the Atlanta Thrashers had picked Jason Spezza 1st instead of Kovy, it could have been Spezza and Heatley in ATL and Hossa and Kovalchuk in Ottawa.... just crazy things that could have happend and things that did happen between these 2 clubs

willus3 Posted - 02/02/2008 : 16:16:34
http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=351849

"Curiosity killed the cat but for awhile, I was the suspect."
-- Steven Wright
willus3 Posted - 01/29/2008 : 14:22:06
The Mahovlich trade was notable in my opinion because it was a good thing personally for Frank Mahovlich. He needed to be away from Imlach. Punch was known to ride guys pretty hard and Mahovlich became his whipping boy it seemed. Mahovlich suffered from depression and that combined with Imlach's personality wasn't a good thing for Mahovlich.

I think Toronto reneging on the 1 million dollar deal is what Alex must have been referring to.

-- Steven Wright
Beans15 Posted - 01/29/2008 : 14:05:10
I would say that considering that most of us are not including the Gretzky sale, the next three in my opinion would be.

Lindros to Philly

Espo to Boston (Espo, Ken Hodge, Fred Stanfield for Pit Martin, Jack Norris, and Gilles Marotte)

Espo to New York (Espo and Carol Vadanais to the New York Rangers for Brad Park, Jean Ratelle and Joe Zanussi)

Willus/Andyhack, what's your take on this Mahovlich thing. Am I sniffing glue or something???
willus3 Posted - 01/29/2008 : 10:42:33
Hard to argue with the Lindros deal

A couple huge trades involved Esposito. The first one that sent him to Boston and the second one that sent him to New York. Those trades at the time, especially the second one, were jaw droppers.

-- Steven Wright
Beans15 Posted - 01/29/2008 : 10:00:12
quote:
Originally posted by Alex

What about big in terms of memorable? I think Mahovlich might have an edge there... Sure, big in terms of value makes big in terms of memorable But looking at the trades we know of purely because of the memorability...

Habs get number 25 this year

Please explain this Mahavlich trade? The information I have on it was that Mahavlich was supposed to go to Chicago for $1,000,000, so Chicago put in a $1,000 deposit with the remainder of the money to come the next day. Then, TO decided to give Mahavlich the money he was looking for and gave the $1,000 deposit back to Chicago.

So are you talking about the biggest trade that never happened??

The actual trade that sent Mahavlich to Detroit was Mahovlich, Pete Stemkowski, Garry Unger, and the right to Carl Brewer for Norm Ullman, Paul Henderson, Floyd Smith, and Doug Barrie.

The other trade Mahovlich was involved in was from Detroit to Montreal for Mickey Redmond, Guy Charron, and Bill Collins.

Again, was that the biggest trade ever?? I don't think so.

I don't personally believe either trade was bigger than Lindros alone for 6 players, a draft pick, and $15 million when Lindros had never played a game before.

I still think the Lindros deal (not counting Gretzky as that was a "sale" and not a trade") is the biggest trade to this point.
Guest6559 Posted - 01/28/2008 : 22:03:49
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Lindros for Peter Forsberg, Chris Simon, Ron Hextall, Mike Ricci, Kerry Huffman, Steve Duchesne, a 1st round pick, and $15 million in cash.

Seriously, before the guy even laced up a pair of skates, Philly sold the farm to land Lindros. Forsberg?? Ricci?? Hextall?? and $15 million in cash???

A guy who never even played a game had a higher trade value than Wayne Gretzky???

This is the trade that came to my mind too. Pretty easy to say Quebec/Colorado got the better end of the deal now though.

If Colorado does not win two Cups with Forsberg, there would be significantly less people talking about how bad this deal was for Philly. Philadelphia did make the Cup Finals with Lindros and its not like Hextall and Duchesne ended up doing much with Quebec/Colorado.

Colorado won two Cups primarily because of Roy, not because of Forsberg or Ricci, without Roy, they do not win the Cups.

In terms of career stats, its not like Forsberg is dominating Lindros either:

Lindros GP: 760 Points: 865
Frosberg GP: 697 Points: 871

But anyways, this is not a really thread to debate the trade, I just got set off :)
Alex Posted - 01/28/2008 : 19:59:46
What about big in terms of memorable? I think Mahovlich might have an edge there... Sure, big in terms of value makes big in terms of memorable But looking at the trades we know of purely because of the memorability...

andyhack Posted - 01/28/2008 : 14:53:11
Beans is probably right if we define "big" just in terms of size.

Also, I prefer to take any dealings with Gretzky out of this question. Though of course technically "trades" I suppose, I don't really consider what happened with him, either at the beginning of his career from Indianappolis to Edmonton, or the Kings thing, a "hockey trade" so much as pure "business moves".

Anyway, if we change the word in this question from "big" to "significant", as I mentioned in another thread a while back, I would seriously consider the Bill Torrey move in 1980 when he got Butch Goring from the Kings for Billy Harris and Dave Lewis. It was RIGHT at the trading deadline the year the Isles won their first Cup. They were actually having a relatively so-so year that year. It changed everything for them. It may very well have triggered the Isles Dynasty, and it's interesting to wonder what would have happened if Torrey hadn't made that move.

The other HUGE trade that of course has to be mentioned here is the Espo and Vadnais for Ratelle and Park one in the mid-70s. Those were all MARQUEE names (maybe Vadnais a little less so, but even he was very highly regarded). That was, in my book, the most interesting trade ever anyway.

Edit - When I was a kid back in the 70s I heard older Toronto guys talk a lot about the Andy Bathgate trade. He and Don McKenney came from the Rangers to the Leafs for d***ie Duff and Bob Nevin. Apparently it was a major major deal in Toronto in the early 60s. Bathgate turned out to be a key part of two Cups for the Leafs.
Beans15 Posted - 01/28/2008 : 11:53:31

hkalirah Posted - 01/28/2008 : 09:31:42
The most memorable trade in my mind was the one that sent Wayne Gretzky to the L.A. Kings.

Also the three blockbuster trades pulled by Cliff Fletcher which brought Doug Gilmour, Glen Anderson, Grant Fuhr, and Mats Sundin to Toronto.

Go Wings Go!
Alex Posted - 01/27/2008 : 20:25:46
The Mahovlich trade was HUGE. It was probably the biggest one ever, at least in my mind. Just the rivalry, the history, the whole deal makes it huge.

'We dont want 1 000 000, we want Mahovlich!'

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page