Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey History
 Some really good rare action footage of Gretzky...

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest9913 Posted - 03/02/2008 : 13:16:20
Finally, something other than all the highlights of his famous records and cup wins. This actually shows glimpses of the Gretzky that would consistently manipulate time and space on a hockey rink...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=17iciOqUhlw

12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Beans15 Posted - 03/17/2008 : 23:45:51
I can always respect people that may think someone other than WG is the greatest. Some people feel that, and that is fine. However, one thing I can never understand is when people try to argue that Gretzky was not the best OFFENSIVE producer in history.

I just can't seem to understand the logic behind that arguement.
andyhack Posted - 03/17/2008 : 21:15:52
9918 - I thought you were another person. But your post did seem to be headed in the direction of "How can anyone question Wayne's supreme greatness?". That's what I assumed anyway, mainly because the guest who I thought you were might very well think that way. Anyway, glad to hear you weren't headed in that direction, and seem to agree that it's not an indictable offense to consider that maybe Wayne wasn't the best ever.
Guest9918 Posted - 03/17/2008 : 14:58:10
quote:
Originally posted by andyhack

9982 - you are nothing if not tenacious in your support of the Great One.

But are guys who raise the whole picture about Wayne, including his faults * , saying anything other than the "truth"?

* if not "faults", simply things he didn't do compared to other greats, or at least, didn't do nearly as well (i.e. Mikita may not have prevented that Yzerman goal, but he would have at least given it a better effort than Wayne did there)

I mean, what is the "truth"? Is it that Wayne is without question the greatest player ever? Would you say to a young guy on this site (like Alex or Pain Train for example),

"the TRUTH is Wayne Gretzky was UNDENIABLY the greatest player ever, and these guys who are raising points which indicate that maybe, just maybe, it shouldn't be so undeniable, are just not telling you the truth"?

I don't know, 9928-san. I'd rather tell them to think about it. Many of them, like Alex, may come to the conclusion that Wayne is clearly the best anyway. But others, like Pain Train, may not, and I think that's "great".

Last point - Guys who predicted Wayne wouldn't succeed BIG TIME in the NHL were obviously dead wrong. Impossible to argue with you on that of course. But don't confuse those guys with the guys who say that Wayne might not be the greatest ever. That's like comparing a guy in 1947 who said Marlon Brando would never become a huge star cause he mumbles too much to a guy who now says, "yeah he was a great actor, but he did mumble sometimes".

Who ever said anything about being the greatest ever? Whoa, slow down there! I only said people tend to dismiss the truth about Wayne Gretzky when they say he sucks or too small or just not good enough for his own reputation or what have you... As for being the greatest ever, now that is entirely a different debate...or did I miss something?
andyhack Posted - 03/17/2008 : 11:39:38
9982 - you are nothing if not tenacious in your support of the Great One.

But are guys who raise the whole picture about Wayne, including his faults * , saying anything other than the "truth"?

* if not "faults", simply things he didn't do compared to other greats, or at least, didn't do nearly as well (i.e. Mikita may not have prevented that Yzerman goal, but he would have at least given it a better effort than Wayne did there)

I mean, what is the "truth"? Is it that Wayne is without question the greatest player ever? Would you say to a young guy on this site (like Alex or Pain Train for example),

"the TRUTH is Wayne Gretzky was UNDENIABLY the greatest player ever, and these guys who are raising points which indicate that maybe, just maybe, it shouldn't be so undeniable, are just not telling you the truth"?

I don't know, 9928-san. I'd rather tell them to think about it. Many of them, like Alex, may come to the conclusion that Wayne is clearly the best anyway. But others, like Pain Train, may not, and I think that's "great".

Last point - Guys who predicted Wayne wouldn't succeed BIG TIME in the NHL were obviously dead wrong. Impossible to argue with you on that of course. But don't confuse those guys with the guys who say that Wayne might not be the greatest ever. That's like comparing a guy in 1947 who said Marlon Brando would never become a huge star cause he mumbles too much to a guy who now says, "yeah he was a great actor, but he did mumble sometimes".

Guest9982 Posted - 03/17/2008 : 10:35:17
Meant to say 8 straight Hart Trophies. 9 in his first 10 years to be exact!
Guest9982 Posted - 03/17/2008 : 10:33:04
quote:
Originally posted by willus3

That early footage is good. Shows him before he figured out how to hide his arrogance.

Looking at the clip, it just shows one of the many ways Gretzky would motivate himself. It always blew me away why on earth GMs and coaches and even opposing players would open up their mouths and spout off about how Gretzky couldn't do this and couldn't do that when Gretzky would make them eat there words time and time again after each such incident. I remember in 1993 or 94, when the Anaheim Mighty Ducks' GM was quoted in the paper as saying Gretzky was no longer a threat to be concerned with (or some such nonesense, despite the fact he was the leading the NHL in scoring), and said this a day before the Ducks played the Kings....BIG mistake. As usual, Gretzky went out and used it as motivation to prove him wrong. Sure enough, he scored 5 points, and could have scored more. Total domination, as I remember, skating circles around everyone, faking shots to the top corner, going around the defences, and scoring at will.... Gretzky even said after that, "Why do they never learn? I use that stuff as motivation!".

He sort of built his career around it in a way. When he was a kid, he was too small, too young to play against the older boys. 374 goals later as a 10 year old would seem to disagree with that. Then Howie Meeker said Gretzky would get killed in the NHL. 7 straight Hart Trophies would seem to disagree with that. Then they said Gretzky would never win without the Oilers. Beating his old Oilers in the first round of the very first playoffs after the trade would seem to disagree with that. But yes, people never really wanted to admit the truth about Wayne Gretzky....and apparently still don't.

willus3 Posted - 03/14/2008 : 09:41:06
I'm not saying the defence aren't to blame. But Gretzky did give up on the backcheck on Yzerman which allowed him to get that laser shot off. I think Casey was screened by his defence too plus it was a beautiful shot by Yzerman.
tbar Posted - 03/14/2008 : 09:04:37
Im with Pickels here your goaile has to stop that shot espcialy when he can see it all the way.
99pickles Posted - 03/14/2008 : 08:54:59
quote:

Note how Gretz just kinda coasts on the back check here and lets Yzerman go. This is also classic Gretzky. This is how you end up with the most ESGA record.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAOYjVxP2wc

I respectfully disagree. The 2 D don't stand up Stevie Y at the line, or even try to block the shot whatsoever...not even getting an angled stick-blade in there to deflect the puck up. Keep in mind it was 2nd O/T though, so everyone was a little mentally fatigued. But I blame the D here. As a matter of fact, Gretzky is pretty far back on top of his D. Can't be much further back than that. And wtf...was Casey sleeping?
willus3 Posted - 03/14/2008 : 07:39:47
Note how Gretz just kinda coasts on the back check here and lets Yzerman go. This is also classic Gretzky. This is how you end up with the most ESGA record.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAOYjVxP2wc
Guest9929 Posted - 03/02/2008 : 21:02:15
quote:

That early footage is good. Shows him before he figured out how to hide his arrogance.

Isn't it great? So candid. It's that kind of drive that made him the best ever.
willus3 Posted - 03/02/2008 : 14:33:12

"I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get 7 years of bad luck but my lawyer thinks he can get me 5."
-- Steven Wright

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page