Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Video Reply

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest4377 Posted - 04/13/2013 : 11:31:58
Just watching the Masters, and learned that due to a phone call from a television viewer, Tiger Woods was assessed a 2-stroke penalty for an improper ball drop. (Which took place in yesterday's play.) The spokesperson for the Masters indicated that they receive "dozens of calls (or e-mails) every tournament," and they consider each and every call.

Wow - can you imagine if the NHL (or other major sports) did this? Officials miss things (or make bad calls) all the time, so why not open things up and get input from the millions and millions of home viewers? ;)

I know golf is golf, and hockey is hockey (and this is a hockey site), and while no sport is perfect, I'm glad the NHL limits their video review to officials in the game (or off-site officials), and not fans watching at home!
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Guest4377 Posted - 04/13/2013 : 16:12:11
Fair points Joshua, but the fans' input (or outrage) didn't change the call(s) made on the ice.

Brett Hull's goal still counted and whatever penalties were issued to Chara, Bertuzzi, Torres stood as called on the ice. In all cases, the result of the game was not changed.

And except for the Hull example, you're talking about violent incidents on the ice, trangressions which were destined for supplemental discipline and further discussion, proportionate to the level of violence (or injuries sustained) by what took place.

There is no violence (or contact) in golf, so my comparison is more about the rules in place, the laws of the game.

Can you imagine if a fan pointed out that a goalie's pads were too wide, or a player used an illegal stick, etc., and the NHL imposed a penalty or sanctions on that player because of a fan's call pointing this out?

But golf is golf and hockey is hockey, so my comments were not completely serious. I just got a kick out of the fact that the Masters golf officials completely missed Tiger's illegal ball drop (a player who is watched more than any other player in the game), and a fan's phone call has such an impact.

Lastly, I wish I used "video replay" on my subject heading, so it didn't read "video reply!" :)
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 04/13/2013 : 15:48:43
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4377

Just watching the Masters, and learned that due to a phone call from a television viewer, Tiger Woods was assessed a 2-stroke penalty for an improper ball drop. (Which took place in yesterday's play.) The spokesperson for the Masters indicated that they receive "dozens of calls (or e-mails) every tournament," and they consider each and every call.

Wow - can you imagine if the NHL (or other major sports) did this? Officials miss things (or make bad calls) all the time, so why not open things up and get input from the millions and millions of home viewers? ;)

I know golf is golf, and hockey is hockey (and this is a hockey site), and while no sport is perfect, I'm glad the NHL limits their video review to officials in the game (or off-site officials), and not fans watching at home!

Don't kid yourself. When Chara ran the Montreal player into the turnbuckle by the bench, Brett Hull kicked in the winning goal in the playoff's,Torres headhunted Hossa or when Bertuzzi ran Moore's head into the ice, the fans exploded with emails, newspaper article's, government officials weighing in or calls which had an effect on the suspensions, rule changes and future of the game. It would be interesting to see if fan outrage could change the outcome of a game after the game has been played or during it, not in a riot like way, friendly like.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page