Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 How did Bieksa come to Vancouver?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alex116 Posted - 05/06/2013 : 22:26:54
This is priceless, i'd never heard this before, but have a read of how Bieksa ended up coming to the Canucks organization and how he immediately "fit in" for then GM, Brian Burke.

NOTE - This is an old article which is obvious by the first line.....

And to think, it was a punch in a Winnipeg parking lot that helped get playoff hero Kevin Bieksa his first pro contract with the Vancouver Canucks.

What, you say?

Enter former Canucks GM Brian Burke, who on Tuesday recounted to ESPN.com the story of Bieksa and the Canucks, which began in Winnipeg near the end of the 2003-04 season.

"He played his four years at Bowling Green. They were eliminated from the playoffs, and we brought him to Manitoba [AHL] on a PTO [professional tryout]," Burke said. "One night after a game in Winnipeg, in which I don't think he played, they went to a local establishment. Fedor Fedorov was sitting at a table and Bieksa walked by the table, bumped him by accident and spilled Fedorov's beer. Bieksa apologized and offered to buy another beer."

According to Burke, Fedorov was in no mood for the apology from the unknown rookie and challenged him to a fight outside. Bieksa again tried to defuse the situation, according to Burke, but Fedorov wanted to fight.

"So, they go outside. Fedor was a big guy, he was a lot bigger than his brother Sergei," said Burke. "Then Fedor comes in and Bieksa drills him with one punch. Knocks him stone cold and cut wide-open and leaves him lying on the pavement."

Burke said Bieksa figured he was done with the Canucks organization and would be sent home the next day.

"Send him home? I said, 'We're going to sign him tomorrow,'" said Burke, whose affinity for truculence is well-established.

Bieksa played 80 games with the Moose the following season before graduating to the Canucks in 2005-06.

Link to the article.... http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/8493/the-punch-that-led-kevin-bieksa-to-canucks
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 05/07/2013 : 06:12:49
Thanks for this story . . . that is classic hockey lore. Even if embellished a bit, it's very funny stuff.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page