Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 If you were a coach.

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
PainTrain Posted - 12/14/2007 : 14:07:33
If you were a coach and your team was up by 6 goals what would you do?
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Beans15 Posted - 12/15/2007 : 09:57:26
It all depends who you are playing. Let me tell a little story.

I played on one of the best High School Basketball teams in Alberta in the early/mid-90's. We were a 2A school (less than 200 kids) and would normally play and beat 3A(200-750 kids) and 4A(over 750 kids). I was a starter and when we played a weaker team, the coach would sent the starters out for maybe 5 minutes at the start of the game. Then maybe another 3-4 minutes at the start of the 2nd half. Other than that, we would play our second string. The coach would get a 15-20 point lead, just to show the other team who we where, then he would put in the 2nd string.

Sound fair right?? Well, one day we were playing that rival school. They had a guy who was a 6'9" monster. Being a school in small rural Alberta, the equipment wasn't the best of the best. I, as a captain, went to the other coach and asked him if he could not have his big guy dunk in warm-ups as we had a backboard shatter earlier in the year. He called the big fella over and told him, then winked at him. The big guy just smiled and proceeded to dunk it hard and shatter the backboard. Well, small town Alberta doesn't have a lot of spare backboards, so the game was posponed until the following week. My coach even told the other coach we would come to their gym to play the game.

Well, that next game, in their gym, with 2 bus loads of our fans in their stands, my coach unleashed hell. The starters on my team never sat a minute and we played hard. My coach wanted to send a message. The score was 152-29 for us. I think the message was sent.

My point of the story, if the game is just a game and you only need 2 points, roll the lines, give most of the minutes to the 3rd and 4th lines. However, if this is your rival, you don't let up at all. Like that 8-2 Philly over PItt the other day, perfect.

You never let up on a rival.

Wayne or Bobby?? How about both!!!
Guest0258 Posted - 12/14/2007 : 18:30:33
Don't risk any injury,rest your best players and play your 3 and 4 lines.
Ottawa Oilers Posted - 12/14/2007 : 17:57:20
There's a good chance someone would have 2 goals so I would play them to help them get a hat-trick. But I would just roll the lines otherwise.
willus3 Posted - 12/14/2007 : 16:37:15
quote:
Originally posted by PainTrain

If you were a coach and your team was up by 6 goals what would you do?

Well, I know what Glen Sather would do.

I would rest my superstars in that situation. No need to risk injury.

"I'm a man of principle... or not. Whatever the situation calls for." - Alan Shore

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page