Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Calgary
 Smyth to the Flames (pending approval)

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
nuxfan Posted - 06/24/2011 : 12:36:52
Apparently a trade involving Ryan Smyth to the Flames in exchange for a late round draft pick is done, pending ownership approval.

I don't get this trade for CGY - Smyth is an aging, non-centre forward with limited offensive upside, who carries a salary of 4.25M but a cap hit of 6.25M. The Flames might be the most cap-sensitive team in the NHL right now, now that PHI has largely unloaded - the last thing they need is a player with a huge cap hit like that IMO.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
nuxfan Posted - 06/25/2011 : 10:06:16
Tanguay, 5yr/17.5M. That is a very good signing for CGY, a reasonable 3.5M per year cap hit for a very productive forward that seems to play his best in Calgary. Good on em
sahis34 Posted - 06/25/2011 : 09:44:59
tanguay just got signed, smyth has no chance of going to calgary now
BucketHead Posted - 06/24/2011 : 22:32:08
now if edmonton could get rid of horcoff the team would be good to go.
nuxfan Posted - 06/24/2011 : 21:54:41
something was going to give in CGY, and Regehr has been mentioned as a possible move since middle of last season, so its no real surprise. Yeah, end of an era for him for sure - as a VAN fan I'll be glad not to have him pounding my Canucks 7 times a year.
leigh Posted - 06/24/2011 : 21:51:01
According to TSN, Regehr has agreed to waive is NMC and also agreed to be traded to Buffalo if they can do a deal. It's going to be weird to see the Flames blueline without him, he's been there so long and was such a force.

I;m eager to see what the Sabres have in return. Apparently Kotalik is going to move with Regehr.
leigh Posted - 06/24/2011 : 21:45:50
Thank goodness. I like Smyth and all but just coudn't see them burning over 6 mil for him.

I think we can pretty much kiss Regehr goodbye. If management is asking him to waive his NTC then it's pretty much a done deal.
99pickles Posted - 06/24/2011 : 18:51:46
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

EDM should take advantage of players that actually want to play there.

Agreed.

And although a little pricey for the season, they have tons of cap space plus a lot of mentoring needs for the young studs they have coming in. I smell a hometown discount for next season as well... if he hangs on.
nuxfan Posted - 06/24/2011 : 18:17:04
yep, went to the Oilers for Brule and a 4th rounder. Good dump by LA I guess, and EDM has way more cap room to fit a player like Smyth in. Plus, EDM should take advantage of players that actually want to play there.
Oilearl Posted - 06/24/2011 : 16:51:05
I heard he is going to the Oil for Brule and a pick?
99pickles Posted - 06/24/2011 : 16:50:40
I don't see this as a very intelligent move on Calgary's part. It does not impress me much at all. What do they expect to get out of him...and at that salary??
n/a Posted - 06/24/2011 : 16:31:19
And Leigh . . . weren't the Flames trying desperately to keep Regher? I thought they reported that they were trying to hammer out a new deal or something (not sure of details).

How many more players do they have to sign after that, if they get Smyth?

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
n/a Posted - 06/24/2011 : 16:29:08
From what I hear, Smyth is simply waiting until the last possible moment to see if Edmonton does want him. heck, if the Oil were on the fence before, how will they feel with him going to Calgary and playing them a bunch of times in a heated division rivalry?!? Yikes.

He is a big cap hit. Huge cap hit for the Flames. I can't get my head around what, exactly, they are planning to do afterward . . . for the Flames, it's a bit of an odd move.

He'd help, but the Calgary cap troubles would rival Philly's pre-trade.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
nuxfan Posted - 06/24/2011 : 16:05:04
ah, it is pending Smyth's approval - the original article implied that Flames ownership had to make some sort of approval, which made no sense.

leigh - I too think the Flames need this sort of player. I just figured they could get a younger and cheaper version of it come free agency, or internally. I didn't think that they'd look to fill up that desperately needed cap relief so soon with a single player - The Flames have 7M in cap space to sign 4 players, and they've nearly used it all up on 1!

If they land Smyth, that would certainly mean the end of Tanguay in CGY, and probably Morrisson as well. Unless they can get Regehr to waive his NTC to go to BUF.
leigh Posted - 06/24/2011 : 15:56:58
It's a bit weird but maybe they are setting up for something else. The cap got raised from 59.4 million to 64.3 million for 2011/12 and if they got rid of Regehr that's another 4 million leaving them with about 11 million bucks (capgeek.com). Perhaps Smyth is trade bait...ok expensive trade bait (although he did have 50 points or so last season)

They do need a guy who will park in front of the net and take the punishment and Smyth does that as good as anyone (who does that right now for the flames????)

He might waive his NMC to get closer to home.
Guest4038 Posted - 06/24/2011 : 15:21:38
actually i think it's pending Smyth's approval of the trade. isnt' it? he has a NMC, and wants to see if anything with the Oilers is on the table.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page