Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference - Atlantic Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Montreal
 Smyth Wants Out Of LA

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest8149 Posted - 06/26/2011 : 18:40:22
"Smyth Wants out of LA" could have been the headline just prior to him being traded to Edmonton, but rightly so, it was not.

But what's the difference between making a trade demand (and mostly to a single other team or province), or what Pronger did five years ago when he asked to be traded from the Oilers?

There are a lot of reasons to dislike Pronger (his dirty play for example), and conversely, there are a lot of reasons to like and respect Smyth (he's Captain Canada for his past commitments to our national team), but both players essentially did the same thing - they asked to be released from their contractual obligations, and to be traded.

Sure, Pronger had 4 years left on his deal at the time, and Smyth only has one year remaining on his deal, but both players' demands caused their respective teams to deal them, and for less than their market value.

I'm fine for Smyth to have requested a trade (and it appears most people are as well), but should the same forgiveness have been extended to Pronger five years ago? The fact is that both players never reneged on their deals. Sure the threat was there, but in fairness, a request to be traded does not necessarily translate into someone breaking their contract.

4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Beans15 Posted - 06/27/2011 : 06:38:24
I have no issue with players wanting trades and asking for them. However, there is a big difference between a player going to team management and asking for a trade a la Ryan Smyth or Dany Heatley and a player's agent going to the media and demanding a trade while their client is on vacation a la Chris Pronger.

In Chris Pronger's defense, he did go to the Oilers at the trade deadline and request a deal. For what ever reason (rumors aside) the City did not work for his family so he wanted out. At that time the Oilers wanted to make a run and told Pronger they would re-look at things in the off season. Because of the Cup run, the Oilers were looking to keep the team together and make another run in '07. I guess Pronger felt that he would not be traded in the off season unless he did something drastic. I still don't think what he did was right, but this might make people understand things.

However, I do laugh at the double standard the masses show to players based on popularity. Dany Heatley did the exact same thing that Smyth did during the off-season last year and Heatley was vilified for it. Smyth is applauded for 'coming home."

It really is a joke.
Guest9235 Posted - 06/27/2011 : 04:46:44
quote:
Originally posted by Guest8149

Yeah, there are some differences, but Smyth does have a valid contract, and he did request a trade.

Sure, his deal was with the Islanders, but he should have demanded a no-trade clause, otherwise, he should know (or his agent can tell him) that when you sign a 5-year deal without a no-trade clause, the team you're signing with can send you anywhere.

Once again, I'm a big fan of Smyth (and no fan of Prongers), but a contract is a contract, and I find it interesting when fans (and media) view things the way they do, where likes and dislikes of particular players guide their thoughts and conclusions.

His deal was actually with the Avalanche, and he did have a ntc in his contract, otherwise he could be a Flame right now.
Guest8149 Posted - 06/26/2011 : 21:44:35
Yeah, there are some differences, but Smyth does have a valid contract, and he did request a trade.

Sure, his deal was with the Islanders, but he should have demanded a no-trade clause, otherwise, he should know (or his agent can tell him) that when you sign a 5-year deal without a no-trade clause, the team you're signing with can send you anywhere.

Once again, I'm a big fan of Smyth (and no fan of Prongers), but a contract is a contract, and I find it interesting when fans (and media) view things the way they do, where likes and dislikes of particular players guide their thoughts and conclusions.
Kirby Posted - 06/26/2011 : 20:03:33
Smyth didn't sign with L.A., so its not the same thing as Pronger, and L.A. also needed the cap space, to probably go after B. Richards, or to sign their young guys long term. Pronger played one season for the Oilers after signing a 5 year deal then demanded a trade. Prongers was way different and way worse, he crippled his team much like Heatley did a short while back. He probably will never be forgiven by Oiler fans. Smyth just had his negotiations go south and a mistake was made. I was more angry at Lowe than Smyth for how that situation got handled.

A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be. -Wayne Gretzky

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page