Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey History
 Best rookie playoff performances ever

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
andyhack Posted - 08/02/2011 : 21:38:06
In the Kessel thread Porkchop mentioned the incredible standard set by Patrick Roy for rookie playoff performances. What are some other memorable ones?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Guest4858 Posted - 11/17/2011 : 17:52:51
To Umteman:

Fuhr was not a rookie in the year Edmonton beat the Islanders, which was 1984. He was drafted in 1981 and went directly to the NHL, so his rookie year was 1981-82. Unfortunately for him, he was the goalie who was in nets for the Oilers collapse against the LA Kings 3 games to 2 in a major upset by LA. Darryl Evans scored the winner in OT winning 6-5 after Edmonton blew a big lead, possibly even 5-0. Anyway, despite that bad first year, Fuhr went on to become one of the best goalies of his generation and was key to Edmonton's Cup success over the years, IMO.
Guest4243 Posted - 11/16/2011 : 16:30:38
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

I could be off here, and maybe Pasty could confirm, but wasn't Claude Lemieux a rooking during the Habs' '86 cup run as well (as Roy)? I seem to recall him playing quite a prominent roll and scoring a bunch of key goals. Is he overlooked due to Roy's outstanding performance?

The problem with rookie contributions in the playoffs is the fact that so few get the chance! Not only do you have to be fortunate enough to be on a team with a chance at a playoff run, but you need to be in the lineup and not riding the pine for the most part!

How about half of the 86 MTL club, since all the rookies were clutch on that run.
umteman Posted - 11/16/2011 : 16:27:08
Was Fuhr a rookie the year edmonton beat the Isles in the playoffs? I seem to remember that he was a brickwall in that series.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
n/a Posted - 11/16/2011 : 05:53:54
Guest 4858 - cripes, my bad. Got the playoff years mixed up, of course. Good catch.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Guest4858 Posted - 11/15/2011 : 20:48:52
To Porkchop 73, sorry I didn't realize earlier that you had already mentioned Dino Ciccarelli in the 1981 year.
Guest4858 Posted - 11/15/2011 : 20:44:34
Yes, Guest 4803, I agree with you on Niemi. I should have said him too as I'm a Hawks fan.
Guest4803 Posted - 11/15/2011 : 12:06:31
what about niemi?
Guest4858 Posted - 11/15/2011 : 11:58:10
To Slozo:
The year that you refer to is 1993 when Montreal & P.Roy beat Sakic & Sundin, etc. and eventually L.A. & Gretzky in the final. As I'm sure you know, Roy was not a rookie then, but was one in 1986, when they beat Calgary in the final.

Regarding Ken Dryden, he may have had a more talented team in front of him in 1971 than the 86 Habs, but the Boston Bruins of 1971 were much stronger than any team Montreal beat in 1986. The powerhouse that year was Edmonton who was upset by Calgary---i.e. the infamous Steve Smith goal. As such, don't under-estimate how amazing Ken Dryden played that year. He also beat a pretty good Chicago Blackhawk team in the 71 finals too. I'm not a Habs fan by any stretch, but Dryden was superb in 1971 and IMO, every bit as good if not better than Roy in 1986.
n/a Posted - 11/15/2011 : 05:28:37
Yeah, from recent play, Marchand for the Bruins last year really stands out for me. And it wasn't just about the numbers . . . it was about him playing against top lines, and being so excellent in his own end, and putting up huge goals and huge plays at key times. He was a force, for sure . . . in much the same way Claude Lemieux was for the Canadiens (in a slightly different, less "jerky" way, lol). Not to take away anything from Seguin - he had a notable impact as well.

Dryden I put behind Roy, myself. Much better team behind him.

Selanne is a guy I sort of seperate from a "true" rookie . . . he had already played some pro hockey in Europe, and he came into the NHL at the apex of his career, so hard to count him and some of the other notable rookie euros (Stastny too).

No, in my memory, for straight up shocking upsets and magical runs in my lifetime (NHL), nothing has beat that Canadiens cup, starting down 2 games to 0 to the powerful Nordiques (they had Sundin AND Sakic!) and winning all those overtime games. And it was all Roy the rest of the way, so my vote for all-time rookie performance has to be for Patrick Roy.

Guest4858 Posted - 11/14/2011 : 17:56:42
Ken Dryden in 1971.....upsetting the heavily-favored Bruins led by Orr & Esposito.

Another one not mentioned was Minnesota's Dino Ciccarelli in 1981 ( he set a playoff goal scoring record at the time....14 goals and 21 points; unsure if he still has either or both ) on their way to the Cup finals, when they lost to the Islanders led by Trottier, Bossy & D.Potvin, who won their second straight Cup.

Another guy that had a great rookie playoff was Don Maloney in the Rangers run to the 79 final, when they eventually lost to Montreal.
Porkchop73 Posted - 08/03/2011 : 13:52:30
How about Brad Marchand for the Bruins this past playoffs. How can 11 playoff points in 11 straight playoff games be overlooked. Marchand was a rookie this past playoffs and contributed a boat load more then Seguin to winning the cup.

But one that stands out to me is Dino Ciccarelli. I am not sure if its still record for rookies in the playoffs but I think it was in 81 when he scored 14 goals and had 21 points in 19 games. He was playing for the North Stars at the time and they lost the cup final to the Islander. Now that is a very very very high standard for for rookie playoff performers
Just looked it up, Dino still holds the record for goals and points by rookie in the playoffs.
Guest4086 Posted - 08/03/2011 : 13:22:41
Felix Potvin had a pretty good run with the Leafs during the '93 playoffs. didn't win the Cup or even get to the finals, but was a major reason they got as far as they did that year.
nuxfan Posted - 08/03/2011 : 11:13:47
quote:

Yeah - I remember Claude Lemieux being overshadowed by Roy's brilliance. But his was a very deserving mention among rookies in the playoffs.

Also overshadowed - 85/86 was Mike Vernon's rookie season as well. Although he didn't win the cup, he was a major force for the Flames that post-season. Most Flames fans remember that year for the massive upset over EDM in the second round due to Steve Smith's own goal in game 7, but few remember that Vernon played very well in helping the Flames get to the finals.
n/a Posted - 08/03/2011 : 10:34:21
Yeah - I remember Claude Lemieux being overshadowed by Roy's brilliance. But his was a very deserving mention among rookies in the playoffs.

Claude played one game in 84/85, then got called up late in the 85/86 season where he played 10 games (1g, 2a). He then proceeded to play 20 games in the Canadiens unexpected and magical run to the cup, where added an incredible 10 goals, 6 assists, and accrued a hefty 68 penalty minutes. He was a force, and one of the two key total surprises that made that team's success so unexpected.

Guest4312 Posted - 08/03/2011 : 08:41:58
roy was the best undoubtedly. cam ward also very good. in recent memory john carlson, p.k subban, and logan couture
Alex116 Posted - 08/03/2011 : 08:02:05
I could be off here, and maybe Pasty could confirm, but wasn't Claude Lemieux a rooking during the Habs' '86 cup run as well (as Roy)? I seem to recall him playing quite a prominent roll and scoring a bunch of key goals. Is he overlooked due to Roy's outstanding performance?

The problem with rookie contributions in the playoffs is the fact that so few get the chance! Not only do you have to be fortunate enough to be on a team with a chance at a playoff run, but you need to be in the lineup and not riding the pine for the most part!
willus3 Posted - 08/03/2011 : 08:01:16
Ken Dryden - 1971.
Played his first 6 regular season games in the NHL at the end of the season. Went on to stonewall the heavily favoured Bruins to win the Cup.
Guest9210 Posted - 08/03/2011 : 04:00:39
I can recall a certain Steve Penney that played as good or better than Patrick Roy for one playoff season. He completely stoned my Bruins and took Montreal to the Conference finals. Didn;t last though and got traded to Winnepeg a year or two latter.
Pasty7 Posted - 08/02/2011 : 22:17:25
rookie performances.... 72 goals by Selanne was a feat and a half... but playoffs is all st pat!!

"I led the league in "Go get 'em next time." - Bob Uecker
nuxfan Posted - 08/02/2011 : 22:00:25
I think Patrick Roy's rookie season might stand out as one of the best ever. I was at the game in Calgary when MTL won that cup in 86 (its the only time I've seen the cup live), and will not forget that series or his play.

How about another couple of goalies - Ron Hextall and Cam Ward.

Ron Hextall, his rookie season was 86/87, when he took PHI to game 7 before losing in the finals to EDM. 26 games played, 15-11 record with a 2.77 GAA and .907 SV% (good numbers for those high scoring days)... and 43 PIM! Won the Conn Smythe as well.

Cam Ward, entered the playoffs in relief of Gerber who had collapsed in his first 2 games to lead CAR to their Cup in 2006, won the Conn Smythe too, go figure.

I also remember Fleury as a rookie in the 89 cup winning season in Calgary, after being called up mid-season. He didn't put up a ton of points, but he was a sparkplug on the ice every time he went out there, and it was a sign of things to come.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page