Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey History
 Brilliant minds that never sipped champagne

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
andyhack Posted - 12/01/2011 : 03:32:31
Who is the best NHL coach who never won a Stanley Cup?
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
willus3 Posted - 12/06/2011 : 19:17:23
quote:
Originally posted by andyhack

Roger Neilson was very innovative in the late 70s. He might have been too Xs and Os though. Any thoughts on him?

Ahh, Neilson, mister video review. A pioneer really.
Stamkos a Hab Posted - 12/05/2011 : 10:54:24
What about Ron Wilson .

P.S The only reason I'm nominating him is because of his career in San Jose.

Sucks 2 be the rest of ya
ToXXiK1 Posted - 12/05/2011 : 09:23:16
Lindy is a great candidate!
Guest4572 Posted - 12/04/2011 : 17:52:09
Billy Reay-----former Blackhawks coach in the 60's & early 70's. I agree with whoever said Don Cherry too. Two other names to think about are Lindy Ruff & Bryan Murray.
n/a Posted - 12/03/2011 : 04:27:25
quote:
Originally posted by andyhack

Roger Neilson was very innovative in the late 70s. He might have been too Xs and Os though. Any thoughts on him?

What about our good old friend Don Cherry? Too short a period to judge maybe. But a great record with arguably a team that "overachieved." They were quite good, yes, but when you think that his teams, essentially, came within two games of the Cup on two different occasions in the era of perhaps the greatest team ever in the late 70s Habs (certainly rank as one of them), it makes you wonder just how much he contributed to them getting there in terms of his motivational and other coaching abilities. Sure, he screwed up royally at the end of Game 7 in '79 but should one colossal mistake ruin, or atleast greatly tarnish, one's overall record? Hmmm, maybe yes?

Why do you think Cherry stayed in a broadcast booth shortly after that and never returned to NHL coaching?

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
andyhack Posted - 12/02/2011 : 17:30:17

What about our good old friend Don Cherry? Too short a period to judge maybe. But a great record with arguably a team that "overachieved." They were quite good, yes, but when you think that his teams, essentially, came within two games of the Cup on two different occasions in the era of perhaps the greatest team ever in the late 70s Habs (certainly rank as one of them), it makes you wonder just how much he contributed to them getting there in terms of his motivational and other coaching abilities. Sure, he screwed up royally at the end of Game 7 in '79 but should one colossal mistake ruin, or atleast greatly tarnish, one's overall record? Hmmm, maybe yes?
ryan93 Posted - 12/01/2011 : 09:45:35
I like the Pat Quinn suggestion, he gets my vote.
semin-rules Posted - 12/01/2011 : 09:36:39
Thinking to more recent years because I am younger, Dave Tippet comes to my mind.

This guy has consistently gotten 45+ wins every year and has only missed the playoffs once in his career. He seems to do the most with nothing each and every year.

I hope one day he gets to hoist the Cup before he is done.
n/a Posted - 12/01/2011 : 06:40:19
Yeah - Pat Burns would have been my #1 choice if not for his Stanley Cup win in 02/03 with the Devils.

Barry Trotz, Jaques Martin, Pat Quinn are my top three . . . and the one who I feel the worst for is Pat Quinn, who came oh so close with both Philly and then later Vancouver, and wasn't that far away with Toronto either really. Quinn was a guy I really respected, and he always seemed able to get the best out of his players, so he is probably my #1.

That being said, I think Trotz is one hell of a coach, and I think Martin is (maybe was?) an excellent coaching mind and a brilliant tactician.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
ToXXiK1 Posted - 12/01/2011 : 06:08:31
Pat Burns comes to mind.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page