Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Other Leagues: AHL, ECHL, Junior
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... International Hockey
 Forsberg suggests Sweden threw a game...

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
spade632 Posted - 12/19/2011 : 16:50:24
http://watch.tsn.ca/featured/clip588435#clip588435

Peter Forsberg suggests in this video that there was "no reason" for Sweden to win their 2006 Olympic round-robin game against Slovakia (which would have meant facing Canada or Russia in the quater-finals, a loss meant the Swiss)

The Swedes lost 3-0.

Thoughts?
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 12/23/2011 : 09:43:13
quote:
Originally posted by The Duke

Whats up here ? 5 - 6 years later and still being talked about. Forsberg looking for some media attention or what.

Duke, I think you just threw your comment.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
The Duke Posted - 12/22/2011 : 19:20:59
Whats up here ? 5 - 6 years later and still being talked about. Forsberg looking for some media attention or what.
Guest4659 Posted - 12/22/2011 : 16:57:57
Any other team in the exact same situation would have done the same thing , even Canada. I watched that game and it didn't look like they were trying to lose, agree with Z, maybe they just didn't try their best that game since they had nothing to lose.
Guest8492 Posted - 12/22/2011 : 08:31:01
Anyone who doesn't think Canada would let up a little in a similar situation either has down syndrome or is just that dumb naturally.
Guest4729 Posted - 12/20/2011 : 10:58:25
Wow Swedes taking a dive, imagine!
Oilearl Posted - 12/20/2011 : 09:41:36
In tournaments there are situations where you take the foot off the pedal to save some gas for later. Having already qualified to move on they did not need to go all out. Forsberg said that these were his own thoughts and not the teams! There is nothing wrong with being strategic in tournaments IMO.
just1n Posted - 12/20/2011 : 08:36:21
How is this even news?
Statman Posted - 12/20/2011 : 02:49:20
Now this is news? This was well publicized back in 2006. Like it or not, it helped them win.
Alex116 Posted - 12/19/2011 : 22:42:18
Not surprising. What would be surprising would be if they had the balls to forfeit!

Having said that, i'm sure there's gotta be some sort of rule that doesn't allow that???
nuxfan Posted - 12/19/2011 : 17:05:56
nah. I think Zetterberg's assessment is probably more accurate - they didn't throw the game, so much as didn't try very hard. The game meant nothing to them, while it meant a great deal to Slovakia.

That being said, it would not surprise me to see that it was the case, I'm sure those sorts of strategic decisions do get made in fast and infrequent tournaments like the Olympics. If you were the Swedes and had a chance to decide your fate to face either powerhouse Canada or surprise team Switzerland, what would you do?

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page