Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference - Atlantic Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Toronto
 Is there a CURRENT Leaf who'll 1 day be HONOURED?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Lee Marshall Posted - 03/06/2012 : 09:04:41
Probably...but right now I can't even begin to suggest who it might be. Perhaps Brian Burke? IF he EVER gets his act together. Otherwise there's no guy currently wearing the Blue and White with much of a chance.

Last time they won anything important I was 15 years old. Drank my first EVER beer that April night in order to celebrate.

Since then Sittler, Clarke, Gilmour and Sundin have done the logo proud. When we can hang the names up in the rafters at a pace of 3 or more at a time...we'll finally have something to talk about.

Until then I don't see much goin' on up there...'cept for dust.

Who the cap fits...Let them wear it.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lee Marshall Posted - 03/07/2012 : 07:58:36
This year is out of the question...so now it's "next year" again. So then...after a 46 year...or longer CUP drought I'd imagine MANY of whomever is on THAT team will be rafters bound. 5 or 6 of 'em anyway.

Will it happen in my lifetime? The odds say NO. The current situation screams NO WAY.

Beans15 Posted - 03/07/2012 : 07:22:40
I think that teams honoring players will become few and far between for all team, not just the Leafs. The tenure of players is so short with each team today I'm not sure how many players will fit the bill to have their number retired. I can think of a few guys today such as Shane Doan, Temmu Selanne, or Martin St. Louis. The Sedins have been in Vancouver for a while as will and likely Jerome Iginla in Calgary.

As far as the Leafs go?? No one on the roster today, at least to this point. Maybe if Kessel has a 10 yr career with the Leafs and produces as he does. That's about it.
n/a Posted - 03/07/2012 : 07:16:58
I assume you mean honoured by the team (hang the number in the rafters) or anything beyond that (retired number for team, or HOF)?

No shoo-ins or even odds or better candidates, no. Not right now.

Kessel has a shot at it perhaps. Phaneuf has an outside shot at it if he gets a bit better and stays with the club for the rest of his career and wins a cup as captain. Past that, it's a few extremely low odds young prospects I think, maybe a Gustavsson or Reimer if either turns out to be a great starting goalie in the near future.

yep, that's about it. Kessel has a . . . 10-15% chance at it right now, I'd say, the rest all fall behind him for much lower percentages.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Guest6498 Posted - 03/06/2012 : 11:54:21
I don't think so. As long as Burkie and co. continue to drastically overrate their roster & prospects while underrating the value of their draft picks, the organization will never acquire a true HoF'er.

Lee Marshall Posted - 03/06/2012 : 10:40:04
quote:
Originally posted by Guest8875

Yeah, The 'Maple' Leaf gets honored every year on Canada Day!

And someday it'll take that LONG before the Stanley Cup actually sees a winner. So MAYBE there IS a chance.

Guest8875 Posted - 03/06/2012 : 10:22:53
Yeah, The 'Maple' Leaf gets honored every year on Canada Day!
Clatts Posted - 03/06/2012 : 09:15:23
It's way too early to say right now as they are a young team, however if PK plays the majority of his career there he could have a shot or if Dion (as much as I think he is horrible) plays the rest of his career there and wears the 'C' while they win a cup or at least compete for a cup he may also have a shot.

"Most of the guys that wear them are Europeans and French Guys."
Don Cherry on Visors

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page