Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Welcome To PickUpHockey.com
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Introductions
 I've been rude.

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Lee Marshall Posted - 03/06/2012 : 08:48:53
I should have stopped in here to say hello and introduce myself sooner. But you know how it goes...lots of forums, lots of topics....and all new to me. I just got caught up in the euphoria of talkin' [typin'] hockey.

This is my second year participating in a group with the Pick-Up Hockey Pool. I won the playoff pool last June and sit 3rd in our group so far this regular season. Looks like 2nd is the best I can hope for...being 30 points back as we speak.

The other day I noticed a topic discussion highlighted below the pool results, clicked on it, posted as some random 4 digit number, and then subsequently signed up.

So...here I am...former resident of Toronto, [and Winnipeg for 7 great years] living way up north now on the James Bay Frontier in Northern Ontario...within' an hour of the Hockey Heritage North site which is pretty well done I have to admit.

Life is great and I want to say that I am impressed with this site and particularly the various forums.

I use my real name as I always wonder about the depth of sincerity offered by those who don't. Usually that's cool. Sometimes...not so much.

At any rate the puck has finally dropped for me here. I hope to put one in the net every now and then...but realize I may shoot wide or high as often as not. I only know what I know...so I'm good with learning more.

Rock on.

Who the cap fits...Let them wear it.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
leigh Posted - 03/08/2012 : 12:33:19
Welcome to the site Lee Marshall. My name is Leigh as well (obviously slight difference in spelling) I understand both sides of the name argument. I've been here at the site since the beginning of time and all I care about are quality posts. Quality over quantity any time please.

I've enjoyed several of your posts so far and it's always great to read insightful commentary (whether I agree with it or not) After all that is why we discuss these EARTH SHATTERING topics, so we can evolve our opinions.

Thanks for the compliment on the moderating. Always appreciated. Enjoy the site. If you need any assistance just email support and you'll reach me.
Beans15 Posted - 03/08/2012 : 11:17:18
I thought the saginaw crossover was a car that wasn't quite a car and not quite and SUV from Michigan. I could be wrong

I have also googled it a few times and found no definition but did find a number of other forum type sites with people asking what saginaw crossover means.

It's some meatball hacker that gets his jollies at spamming. I think it's some kind of inside joke to the hacker and he gets off on stamping the gibberish all over the place. Rest assured Alex, this is a program of some type that does this. I doubt anyone is sitting around doing these mindless drivel posts manually.
fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 03/08/2012 : 09:19:27
I believe the 'saginaw crossover', is in reference to what Derian Hatcher used to experience regularly.

A forward would rush towards him with the puck, then cross either to their left or their right, forcing Hatcher to try something he couldn;t do....skate in anything other than a straight line, causing him to once again, get beat with mobility, making him have no other response, than either to goon someone, or 'sag and say awwww!'

Eh? eh?, think Wikepedia would take that as the definition? I know, I know, keep the day job.....got it!
Alex116 Posted - 03/08/2012 : 09:07:30
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

Okay Slozo.....now i'm awaiting the pic of your hot wife.

Can one of the mod's, who i agree, do a great job, please explain to me what a saginaw crossover is?

Ha ha, classic . . . that's what I get for mentioning my significant other, fair enough. No sir, you'll have to find your own hot wife.

TOP TIP: Always check out her mom to see what your future wife will probably look like after kids. Just sayin'.

Saginaw crossover . . . well, I always thought it referred to a crossover you would do in sports like basketball - so maybe the hockey equivalent of that. And, perhaps, it refers to a special kind of such crossover which happened/originated from Saginaw, Michigan?

Sorry, that's all I got!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug

S'all good, my wife is hot too. Well, considering my lack of good looks, i think i did pretty well !

I've googled "saginaw crossover" many times looking for answers and can't find anything. Curiosity more than anything.

What i don't get about these spammers, is that they actually sign up for an account and then spew their crap? Why do they bother signing up?

Sorry, this isn't off topic is it?
n/a Posted - 03/08/2012 : 04:56:14
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

Can one of the mod's, who i agree, do a great job, please explain to me what a saginaw crossover is?

Ha ha, classic . . . that's what I get for mentioning my significant other, fair enough. No sir, you'll have to find your own hot wife.

TOP TIP: Always check out her mom to see what your future wife will probably look like after kids. Just sayin'.

Saginaw crossover . . . well, I always thought it referred to a crossover you would do in sports like basketball - so maybe the hockey equivalent of that. And, perhaps, it refers to a special kind of such crossover which happened/originated from Saginaw, Michigan?

Sorry, that's all I got!

Alex116 Posted - 03/07/2012 : 07:57:50

Beans15 Posted - 03/07/2012 : 07:17:42
Just to clarify, I do not use my real name because I am concerned with 'beats." I don't use my real name because I don't put my real name anywhere on the internet that is not a secure site. Also, like one of my moderating partners, I also do not use my real name for work reasons.

Finally, to also echo one of my moderating partners, the moderating comments is appreciated and something I too take pride in.

Now, if Slozo and I could just get along for a few days in a row.........
n/a Posted - 03/07/2012 : 07:02:10
Wow - very nice intro, dude. You sound like a good old-fashioned honest and sincere fellow, and I wish you a warm welcome.

And double wow, two seperate mentions of people not wanting to use real names due to myself potentially hunting someone down for beats . . . lol, guys, really! I am an honourable, peaceful fellow in real life, a gentle bear, if you will. And besides, I'd have no time for such shenanigans, not with two young kids, and a busy job and a hot wife, nosiree bob, no time at all for that. Heck, I mostly post from work, you know.

It's interesting about the use of real names, and what you say . . . and I agree with it 100%. Myself, if I was a free-wheeling single buck, I'd also do it that way, but as it stands . . . I can't do it for work reasons, and for reasons stated here by others. That being said, my name here IS indeed from one part of my real name . . . and I'll leave it at that.

And thanks from all on the nice comments about the level of moderation here, which I am proud and honoured to be a part of.

Alex116 Posted - 03/06/2012 : 19:52:04
Ah, yes, the multiple memberships is kind of annoying, though it is fun when you discover them. You know, when some idiot is doing such and screws up forgetting to sign out from one to the other? Love seeing that! It's actually been awhile.

Part of the prob here is, those who really want to troll can just enter as a guest. It'd be nice to see a limit to one guest posting, say 10 posts then they have to sign up, though i don't know how the guest thing works? Is it one number per computer? Per internet connection?

BTW guest4377, this isn't a shot at you by any means, though i thiink you should pull a "Lee Marshall", and sign up!
Lee Marshall Posted - 03/06/2012 : 19:21:15
Alex...I'm not making it clear. Sorry about that. I'm not talking about debate or even argumentative repartee. Like, for example, I think some Habs fans are just a tad blind when it comes to their team's realities over these past 19 years. So what if they've won the most cups? Then there's now. For THAT I'd expect a less than heart-warming response.

But some folks ...elsewhere ['cause I don't KNOW here] ... take gutless pot shots at their fellow posters and stir up angst within' the board's 'community' just for laughs and giggles. I'm relating a point of view on this that may have no application here.

Debate and different perspectives are fine. Good natured ribbing is part of being a fan. On the other hand having 2 or more different nick-names and using them simultaneously or attacking other members maliciously is quite the opposite.

I think I've already typed WAY too much on this. Initially it was just an aside...albeit poorly worded...and, as such, subsequently off-side.

Alex116 Posted - 03/06/2012 : 17:06:44
quote:
Originally posted by Lee Marshall

Just want to reiterate the real name thing. Most with a 'nick-name' are cool. Some turn out to be artificially brave as they fire away while doing so incognito.

Lee, i'm not sure i get this? I do find myself "firing away" from time to time, but i don't think it's bravery due to my nicname. However, if i had my real name, would it make a difference? Would those i debate on here with track me down or something? Should i be worried about starting my truck tomorrow morning after having a slightly heated disagreement with Slozo? Know what i'm saying?

I'm not trying to hide from someone, like Beans, i prefer to keep my name off the internet as much as possible!
Lee Marshall Posted - 03/06/2012 : 15:51:42
"Who the cap fits...let them wear it." ...Bob Marley

It's really the Jamaican way of saying..."If the shoes fits...wear it."

Back in the day...not all that many poor people could afford shoes down there...at least not for everyday use. But everyone had a cap or a hat.

Just want to reiterate the real name thing. Most with a 'nick-name' are cool. Some turn out to be artificially brave as they fire away while doing so incognito.

That opinion comes from having frequented music forums and the like where the subject matter shouldn't really be anywhere near as passionate as that of HOCKEY.

It is my intention to remain respectful of others here. I do not have a problem with an intelligent point of view. I only hope that I'll be able to provide that...at least from time to time.

Leafs' fan? You betcha!!! But not through rose coloured glasses. Never had a moment's time for Horrible Harold Ballard. Not happy with how the organization treated Pat Quinn. I've yet to be convinced that Brian Burke is really anything special.

But my mind remains open. [except for that horse's ASS Ballard]

Alex116 Posted - 03/06/2012 : 14:27:22
Beans / FER......I'm not buying that crap about your names! Next you're gonna tell us those aren't your real pictures as your avatars!
mandree888 Posted - 03/06/2012 : 14:24:16
ooo sure lee make me look like a smook. lol i didnt do this myslef . welcome lee.
and i will take this time to say hi to every one else on here i kinda use my name my firs name is mike. and last name andree so mandree is my first initial and last name. (if you look at my profile you would see that)
my top 3 teams are TOR TBL EDM. although i would have to say the winnipeg and calgary have to fill out the top five. i dont know too much about the other teams as i dont follow them as much as TOR (considering thats where i am from) and hockey is what i love. if i didnt have brain surgery when i was 12 i would have wanted to play hockey it is my biggest passion.
Beans15 Posted - 03/06/2012 : 13:57:33
No no, I am the king of spelling things wrong!!!

And sorry, I don't use my real name for anything online. In this day of facebook, twitter, and what ever else it is scary what kind of stuff is online about people. Google your name and take a look at images and there is a good chance you will see a picture of yourself. That is without you posting it!!

Nope, you won't know my real name. Don't need to.

I also don't get the quote, "Who the cap fits, let's wear them," but I'm just a hick from Alberta so the words are likely lost on me.

Welcome aboard.
foolpittier Posted - 03/06/2012 : 12:21:27
welcome lee, i also use my real name. and im the king of one line coments and spelling things wrong.
@valanche Posted - 03/06/2012 : 11:57:21
welcome to fight club. first rule of fight club is don't talk about fight club.

66 is > than 99
Shepsky Posted - 03/06/2012 : 11:25:59
welcome Lee, I get the impression from your posts, that your a fellow leafs fan, correct?

Every day is a great day for hockey
-Mario Lemieux
nuxfan Posted - 03/06/2012 : 09:08:18
Lee, welcome to the group. I think you'll find we're a pretty civilized bunch and while discussions can get heated we don't get too far offside - and if we do the mods do their job well and keep us in line. I too belong to more than one forum on various topics, and this is by far the least offensive and best moderated one in my index.
fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 03/06/2012 : 09:02:19
Pleasure to meet you Lee, I appreciate your candor regarding sincerity and real names, but for myself anyways, I use an alias, because not only do I like the thought of 'using an alias', and it's mysterious, 007-like connotations, but this way Slozo can't look me up and give the biotch slapping he'd like to at times!!

I jest of course, but welcome to the forum!

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page