Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Central Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Nashville
 Playoff pool help

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest4937 Posted - 04/03/2012 : 17:04:17
Im in a playoff pool with 9 guys and I have the 8th pick. The point system is 1 point per goal and 1 point per assist. Goalies get 1 point per win and 2 extra for a shutout. There is 6 forwards 2 defense 1 goalie and one bench player. It is a snake draft so I get a pick right after my 1st one. Who should I take with my first pick out of the players you think will be left by my pick? Thanks!
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alex116 Posted - 04/04/2012 : 19:33:56
I don't see a prob with picking a goalie earlier than the 4th round. If NYR go all the way, it's likely that Lundqvist will get 16 points in wins and a couple shutouts. That would give him 20 points overall which is right up there with what the top scorers got last year! If your snake draft continues without redrawing each round, your 3rd pick wouldn't be till 26th overall. I can't see you getting a top goalie by then, so i'd focus on a goalie in round 2! Even then, the guy picking at 9 will likely get one if he's thinking the same way?

If you think the Pens or Rangers are going all the way, gamble with one of them (especially Lundqvist if you're high on the Rangers). I'd avoid a goaltender in Vancouver though as their Luongo / Schneider tandem is very hard to predict right now!!! If you leave your goalie till later, leave it really late and something very important to consider is if everyone else has selected one, leave yours till your final pick (assuming everyone needs 1 and can only take 1). I've been in pools where all the goalies went early and by round 4 (out of 12) everyone but me had one. So, i knew who i was taking, but didn't have to jump on him till my 12th pick!!!

So, if it's the Rangers you like, Gaborik and Lundqvist would be a nice tandem to walk away with considering your late pick! You actually only listed 5 guys getting picked ahead of you (missed Crosby, i'm assuming someone's grabbing him) but that still leaves the last guy who didn't tell you.

Also, Letang would be a nice pick seeing as you have to get 2 dmen! You may as well get the guy who will likely be the highest scoring dman if the Pens go the distance. Fleury / Letang (if you like the Pens chances) would be a nice combo as well!
Guest4937 Posted - 04/04/2012 : 13:53:06
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4937

Sloz I kind of argree with you about the teams you picked to go all the way but they people in front of me already told me who they are picking
Most likely malkin giroux both sedins Neal and the other person didn't tell me who
I was thinking kovalchuck but I think he will be taken in the 7th pick. If he is I was thinking gaborik but it's kinda risky as a first rounder because he can be inconsistent. I don't really trust Detroit or chicago this year because Detroit has had goaltending injuries and sucks away from home and Chicago has had major goaltending problems. I personally thinkit will be either Pittsburgh phily or rangers it the east and in the west nashville or vancouver. I dont know if i should trust booth as a 1st rounder as well as gaborik hartnell Callahan radulov and kesler (because of the bad season hes having)

Guest4937 Posted - 04/04/2012 : 13:52:28
Sucks away from home*
Guest4937 Posted - 04/04/2012 : 13:51:22
Sloz I kind of argree with you about the teams you picked to go all the way but they people in front of me already told me who they are picking
Most likely malkin giroux both sedins Neal and the other person didn't tell me who
I was thinking kovalchuck but I think he will be taken in the 7th pick. If he is I was thinking gaborik but it's kinda risky as a first rounder because he can be inconsistent. I don't really trust Detroit or chicago this year because Detroit has had goaltending injuries and sucks at home and Chicago has had major goaltending problems. I personally thinkit will be either Pittsburgh phily or rangers it the east and in the west nashville or vancouver. I dont know if i should trust booth as a 1st rounder as well as gaborik hartnell Callahan radulov and kesler (because of the bad season hes having)
n/a Posted - 04/04/2012 : 05:03:09
There are some neat variables with potentially very good players left to the late first/second round this year. Danial Sedin with his concussion; Crosby just recently back, and despite his amazing production always a risk to be out at any point; and some of the perrenial playoff team superstars (Ovechkin, Backstrom, Datsyuk, Lidstrom, Thornton, Marleau) are coming in as lower underdog seeds.

But we know that Malkin probably goes first; And Henrik Sedin, Crosby, Kesler, Gaborik go next. If any of these guys aren't picked by #8, I'd be surprised - and I would pick any of them at #8 myself.

After that, it gets tougher. I totally agree with Leigh about the goalies; leave it for the third/fourth round, I'd say.

And you have to pick your top 4. The favourites at this point in terms of oddsmaking are . . . probably Pittsburgh and the Rangers from the east, and Vancouver and one of Detroit, Chicago or Nashville. And since you'd never have to pick anyone from Nashville until round 5 anyways . . . I'd say Chicago or Detroit, leaning hard towards Chicago.

So going by that, the guys you might be able to pick at #9 include
Toews (CHI)
Datsyuk (DET)
Neal (PIT)
Callahan (NYR)
Kane (CHI)
Lidstrom (DET)
Sharp (CHI)
Zetterberg (DET)

Myself, I'd take eastern guys Neal or Callahan - higher scoring games likely out east, I think the games will be tighter and lower scoring out west with those match-ups.

And if you are picking upsets, Philly is your #1 primo bet, so maybe take Giroux and cheer against the mighty Pens.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Alex116 Posted - 04/04/2012 : 00:36:10
Well, you're in trouble! Seeing as your draft is likely to go....
Sedin
Sedin
Kesler
Burrows
Luongo
Schneider
Booth

You're kinda stuck going with a bum like Malkin or Crosby i guess???

All kidding aside....are you sold on the Pens? Cuz you're not getting Malkin, Crosby or prob even Neal. If you're 100% psyched on the Pens and can still get Fleury/Letang/Neal/?...go for it but most of those could be gone. If you're not sold on them and prefer the Flyers, then the choice is obvious!!!

Otherwise, see what everyone else does at 1-7, then look at the west and pick a team/player. (and good luck with that crap shoot!!!)
Guest4377 Posted - 04/03/2012 : 23:21:11
Eighth pick in a snake draft with all the variables you described...that's easy. You should pick Marion Gaborik. He's clearly not going to be picked 7th (or earlier), so he's a steal at 8th! :)

Next question please!
leigh Posted - 04/03/2012 : 22:33:38
Based on your point structure it is not very likely that a goalie will get more than 4 points per round (maybe 6 if they get 1 shutout) so that means that you probably won't want to pick them for either your first or second pick. Likewise by the 8th and 11th overall pick in your hockey pool (I'm still refering to your first two picks here) there will not really be any worthy defensemen, so it seems to me that you'll be picking two forwards who will fall in the 7 to 9 point range for that round.

Clatts is somewhat right, pick the team that you feel will go furthest. However you will likely want to pick 4 teams that you feel will go furthest. 2 teams from the west and 2 from the east. Pick one from each conference for your first and second pick. You may pick both from the same conference if you have two super studs still available from it, but otherwise you'll want to get one from each to maximize your point potential.

Obviously don't pick from teams that are playing each other in the first round for sure (d'uh! ) and try to predict the second and third rounds of the playoffs too (Yes, that's the hard part!) You never want those two teams to play each other before round 3 of course so you can maximize your pick's potential.

I'd consider picking a goalie on the way back up for your 4th pick. But if you can still pick players that are going to get you 5+ points per round, I'd hold off.

Sorry I didn't exactly give you my actual picks but that really depends upon the 4 teams you think are going deep. Good luck!
Clatts Posted - 04/03/2012 : 18:57:27
Pick the team you think will go the furthest and pick the top two players off that team.

"Most of the guys that wear them are Europeans and French Guys."
Don Cherry on Visors

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page