Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference - Atlantic Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Toronto
 Toronto's Surprise Pick at #5 - Morgan Rielly

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 06/23/2012 : 09:35:10
In an unexpected twist, Burke decided to take what the Leafs determined to be their personal "#1 pick" in Morgan Rielly, a defenceman with skill who missed most of last year to injury.

What are your thoughts on this pick?

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
28   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alex116 Posted - 10/20/2014 : 21:27:31
quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

quote:
Originally posted by slozo

quote:
Originally posted by mandree888

i think it is safe to say this was an amazing pick up by burke. this kid has been stellar!

Nice circle back, Mandree.

Always interesting to go through these old discussions . . . but yeah, as a Leaf fan, I am super happy about Rielly. He's a top-notch young defenceman who will only get better, and I feel he's one of the building blocks of the future.

Screw the Habs. Boston Sucks. Bah Humbug, DeadWings . . . and yes, oh yes, Go LEAFS Go!!! Yeah, it's offseason baby!

just goes to show a lot of people say things about a prospect at the draft good and bad but unless you are someone really paying attention to junior hockey it could go either way, the only way to really know is once they make the jump to the NHL, take the 2012 draft where Reilly went 5th he was the 3rd d man taken and you could argue that of the 3 he has been the best so far, then you have Trouba who was taken 9th who could be the best player in that draft, Grigorenko was suppose to be a top 3 guy in that draft and he has been nothing short of a dissapointment, Galchenyuk was never projected to go 3rd overall and if teams could go back in time the top 3 would probably be Trouba Reilly Galchenyuk ,,

Hello, 911? It's an emergency, my teddy bear's been kidnapped!
[pause] Hello? Hello?

Unless Burkie was picking at #1...then Rielly would be first!
Pasty7 Posted - 10/15/2014 : 11:36:53
quote:

quote:

i think it is safe to say this was an amazing pick up by burke. this kid has been stellar!

Always interesting to go through these old discussions . . . but yeah, as a Leaf fan, I am super happy about Rielly. He's a top-notch young defenceman who will only get better, and I feel he's one of the building blocks of the future.

Screw the Habs. Boston Sucks. Bah Humbug, DeadWings . . . and yes, oh yes, Go LEAFS Go!!! Yeah, it's offseason baby!

just goes to show a lot of people say things about a prospect at the draft good and bad but unless you are someone really paying attention to junior hockey it could go either way, the only way to really know is once they make the jump to the NHL, take the 2012 draft where Reilly went 5th he was the 3rd d man taken and you could argue that of the 3 he has been the best so far, then you have Trouba who was taken 9th who could be the best player in that draft, Grigorenko was suppose to be a top 3 guy in that draft and he has been nothing short of a dissapointment, Galchenyuk was never projected to go 3rd overall and if teams could go back in time the top 3 would probably be Trouba Reilly Galchenyuk ,,

Hello, 911? It's an emergency, my teddy bear's been kidnapped!
[pause] Hello? Hello?
n/a Posted - 10/14/2014 : 09:26:25
quote:

mandree888 Posted - 10/12/2014 : 04:21:42
Guest2754 Posted - 06/28/2012 : 07:52:48
Your intitial reaction was correct. This guy will be worse than Kadri. Why the hell didn't we take Forsberg or Griegerenko however its spelled.
n/a Posted - 06/28/2012 : 05:30:48
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

You can argue that this was a bit of an off the board pick. But this season was a mess. There were projections that has players anywhere from a lottery pick to a 2nd round pick in some cases. Other than Yakupov and Murray, the rest were literally feathers in the wind.

I still think this is a great pick for the Leafs. Say what you will about Brian Burke, the guy drafts well. Err, except for Nazem Kadri

Daniel Alfredsson is the MVP of the universe. All hail the Ottawa Senators!!!!!

I agree with everything you said, Beans. So, maybe I am coming off as a bit too negative in terms of reaction to the "off the board" pick of Rielly .. . but just trying to reflect the pure emotion that I felt from all Leaf fans at the choice.

If I can describe what was the typical Leaf response - and to a small extent, I did the same thing - it would've been:

. . . and the Leafs pick Morgan Rielly!

[mouth open] Morgan . . . Rielly? Who the heck is he? [hand slapped on forehead, sit back down on barstool, take a deep swig of beer and shake head slwoly]
I hope you know what the hell you're doing, Burke. I really do.

Since that time, I am much more satisfied, and like you pointed out Beans . . . for drafting, I have decent faith in Burke, and those guys do their homework, so I'm good.

But the initial reaction was one of shock, tinge of horror.

Beans15 Posted - 06/27/2012 : 09:02:09
You can argue that this was a bit of an off the board pick. But this season was a mess. There were projections that has players anywhere from a lottery pick to a 2nd round pick in some cases. Other than Yakupov and Murray, the rest were literally feathers in the wind.

I still think this is a great pick for the Leafs. Say what you will about Brian Burke, the guy drafts well. Err, except for Nazem Kadri

n/a Posted - 06/27/2012 : 06:30:14
quote:
Originally posted by Lee Marshall

It's only that there really wasn't much in the way of a positive poll choice...thus rendereing it useless for me. So I wrote rather than voted.

Who the cap fits...Let them wear it.

Hey, if they picked him, he must be worth it.

That was your positive choice . . . and it aptly describes what you explained.

If you want more positiveness . . . join a women's discussion group on a book of the week. If you want hard-hitting, sometimes sarcastic and slightly humorous polls? Slozo is where it's at, baby.

Lee Marshall Posted - 06/27/2012 : 06:26:48
It's only that there really wasn't much in the way of a positive poll choice...thus rendereing it useless for me. So I wrote rather than voted.

n/a Posted - 06/26/2012 : 21:13:08
quote:
Originally posted by Lee Marshall

Useless choices in the 'poll'. They picked him because he looks to be the best possible pick going forward. [not looking backward as some have]
The guy was hurt. He's over it...and a great offensive defenceman. The big stay at home defence only guys are necessary...and it's good to have as many as possible. BUT...a guy like Rielly? I'm thinkin' the Leafs are thinkin' these guys don't grow on trees.

I'm good with the pick.

As Alex pointed out,
He was not on even ONE mock draft list in the top 5 - and I do my freakin research on things like this, unlike some people.

If you think my choices are useless, and my question meaningless . . . why did you take the time to even answer? Did you think you gave me some wisdom here or something?

Because, you didn't.

Alex116 Posted - 06/26/2012 : 17:13:23
Lee, in fairness to Slozo and his poll, i'm pretty sure that 29 other teams had Rielly slated to go lower than 5th overall. I think that was the whole point of the poll.

It's fine that Burke took him this early, he could very well pan out to be the best of the draft, but fact is, he was ranked lower than where Burke selected him. He possibly could have got him a few picks later had he traded down too, but i have to assume he didn't wanna chance that he'd be selected by then. I mean, let's face it, if Burke had the #1 overall, Rielly would still be a Leaf, right?
Lee Marshall Posted - 06/26/2012 : 16:59:55
Useless choices in the 'poll'. They picked him because he looks to be the best possible pick going forward. [not looking backward as some have]
The guy was hurt. He's over it...and a great offensive defenceman. The big stay at home defence only guys are necessary...and it's good to have as many as possible. BUT...a guy like Rielly? I'm thinkin' the Leafs are thinkin' these guys don't grow on trees.

I'm good with the pick.

Leafs81 Posted - 06/24/2012 : 07:51:10
I think getting Rielly was a good pick. He had an injured season prior to his draft and that's a reason why we didn't hear much about him. I remember though seeing a story on TSN this past spring and another one last week. So the guy has skills and can skate.

I wasn't surprised to see him top 5, I was surprised to see Forsberg go 11th overall. 8 defenseman were drafted in the top 10. So I guess that Forsberg as a center wasn't that highly coveted after all.
The Duke Posted - 06/24/2012 : 06:34:10
Can`t say much on him myself. I guess Bean`s input is the most insight we have on this kid.

Burke is Burke, we all know that....but in all fairness to his comments,...

I think it was on a TSN hockey panel ( not really sure ) but i surely did hear them say ( the anaylist ) that maybe the Edmonton Oilers would be very smart to pick this M. Rielly kid to set up their skilled forwards....

they went on to say that the Edm. offence would be lethal with M. Rielly feeding them the puck...

Is he that good ??
n/a Posted - 06/24/2012 : 06:15:10
Oh, and for the record, I voted "I can't say much, don't know the kid". Because, frankly, it's true . . . and as much as it was a "surprise" to most Leaf faithful, after looking up his stats, and getting the lowdown on his player profiles, etc . . . he looks like he could be very, very good. Certainly a highly skilled defenceman with great passing and good vision.

So I get the whole thing about taking the more highly skilled player whose stock may have dropped due to injury, especially if you have no concerns about it.

We'll see!

sahis34 Posted - 06/23/2012 : 14:44:48
I dont think its much of a stretch. There were alot of sliders in the draft which I thought burke might"ve picked. I think dumba wouldve been a better choice but apart from that its fine.Burke said he was #1on there list oddly enough, maybe hell play net year with schenn going
nuxfan Posted - 06/23/2012 : 14:18:47
quote:

Well, they could have swapped picks IF they had a deal ready and terms worked out. And, it's a lot to work out.

Like I said, it's just a bit of a wild guess . . . but a lot of things fit into this theory.

And, I could TOTALLY see Vancouver wanting to sell it to their fans a lot more, when they get something to get excited about coming back, as opposed to it looking like a salary dump with Komisarek or someone like that coming back.

Still, I do realise it's a far-fetched theory.

Don't worry slozo, the fans know exactly what the deal is with Luongo and his contract. We're all well aware that VAN is dumping salary and will likely have to take something in return. As long as the return is a serviceable player with a contract less than 10 years, we're good
Beans15 Posted - 06/23/2012 : 14:11:31
Firstly, I feel for the TO fans as they have to listen to crap like Burke saying this kid was his #1 from the start. What a complete joke.

Secondly, I believe this is an excellent draft choice. I spent a great deal of the spring watching the WHL playoffs and Reilly was top shelf the entire way. During the series with the Oil Kings he was often the best player on the ice for eier team. Really smooth skating, incredibly smart, dangerous with the puck just about every time he had it.

Duncan Keith is a very good comparison and I think this kid has a better offensive upside than Keith. Frankly, this is the guy that will take Phanuef's job in the next two season.

This is the one of the smartest hockey moves that Burke had made in his tenure as the Leaf's GM. And I don't see him trading this player. Burke rarely trades the players he picks, only picks before hand.

Sensfan101 Posted - 06/23/2012 : 13:47:31
Favourite moment of the draft was when Burke said he would have taken him first overall. Oh Burkie.....

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky
Guest4315 Posted - 06/23/2012 : 13:16:39
I heard Rielly is comparable to Duncan Keith. Sounds like a good pick to me. But if your theory is right does Van want the next Keith. Or does Van want to not go up against the next Keith. Lol
n/a Posted - 06/23/2012 : 13:08:28
Well, they could have swapped picks IF they had a deal ready and terms worked out. And, it's a lot to work out.

Like I said, it's just a bit of a wild guess . . . but a lot of things fit into this theory.

And, I could TOTALLY see Vancouver wanting to sell it to their fans a lot more, when they get something to get excited about coming back, as opposed to it looking like a salary dump with Komisarek or someone like that coming back.

Still, I do realise it's a far-fetched theory.

mandree888 Posted - 06/23/2012 : 11:19:02
i agree with nux on that if that was the idea they would have just swapped drafts spots in the trade.
nuxfan Posted - 06/23/2012 : 11:08:06
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116
This may be stretching a bit, but could the Canucks pick (Gaunce) be part of a deal? Did Burke "assist" Gillis in that pick? It was rumoured that the Canucks were big on Samuelsson but went with Gaunce, though that could be because they were thinking Gaunce would be gone by then seeing as he was touted as a top 20 pick?

Def lot's to read into though!

How about....

To TO: Luongo, Raymond, Gaunce
To Van: Rielly, Komisarek, Armstrong, 2nd round pick 2013

Just throwing something out there that's obviously unlikely to happen, but would this be reasonable? I would see it as Luongo and Gaunce for Reilly, Raymond and Armstrong as a swap of 3rd liners with TO getting the edge salary-wise, and the Canucks getting a 2nd rounder (maybe 3rd?) for taking the contract that comes with Komi? Sure, i know the biggest contract is Lu, but TO would be getting Gaunce on top of Lu for Reilly?

Go ahead, bash me....

I wouldn't read too much into the pickup of Guance - MG might have been focusing on Samuelsson, but only because he didn't think that Guance would be available at 26 (he was projected just inside the top-20). When he was still available, things changed.

I do believe (as of now anyway) that the Canucks want to keep Gaunce.
Alex116 Posted - 06/23/2012 : 10:48:15
Well, i don't know a lot about him, and seeing as i'm not a Leafs fan, i won't bother voting. But, Slozo, you could very well be onto something re the Luongo deal? It may be taking so long due to the tense relationship, Schneider's contract status, etc, but it could also be that it's a bigger deal coming than maybe everyone is expecting? Wonder what they could be working on, and no Nuxfan, i don't think it's Ballard, lol.

This may be stretching a bit, but could the Canucks pick (Gaunce) be part of a deal? Did Burke "assist" Gillis in that pick? It was rumoured that the Canucks were big on Samuelsson but went with Gaunce, though that could be because they were thinking Gaunce would be gone by then seeing as he was touted as a top 20 pick?

Def lot's to read into though!

How about....

To TO: Luongo, Raymond, Gaunce
To Van: Rielly, Komisarek, Armstrong, 2nd round pick 2013

Just throwing something out there that's obviously unlikely to happen, but would this be reasonable? I would see it as Luongo and Gaunce for Reilly, Raymond and Armstrong as a swap of 3rd liners with TO getting the edge salary-wise, and the Canucks getting a 2nd rounder (maybe 3rd?) for taking the contract that comes with Komi? Sure, i know the biggest contract is Lu, but TO would be getting Gaunce on top of Lu for Reilly?

Go ahead, bash me....
nuxfan Posted - 06/23/2012 : 10:21:07
quote:

Holy crap, I just thought of something, as I was reading up on this Rielly kid:

Could he have been picked by the Leafs for a package deal with Vancouver, where we would get Luongo + something?

This kid is from Vancouver.
His favourite team is the Canucks.
And, the Canucks GM has shown a propensity for trying to get the hometown kids there.

Just sayin'!

Yeah, I'm sure MG would be happy to include Ballard as the "plus something"
mandree888 Posted - 06/23/2012 : 10:09:25
guest 4551 was me. that was the only thinkg i could justify this draft with slozo
Guest4551 Posted - 06/23/2012 : 09:56:10
i am torn between we need offence and worried.

i picked worried. this didnt seem like the best pick i was really looking froward to forsberg. :(
n/a Posted - 06/23/2012 : 09:52:54
Holy crap, I just thought of something, as I was reading up on this Rielly kid:

Could he have been picked by the Leafs for a package deal with Vancouver, where we would get Luongo + something?

This kid is from Vancouver.
His favourite team is the Canucks.
And, the Canucks GM has shown a propensity for trying to get the hometown kids there.

Just sayin'!

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page