Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Can the LA Kings repeat?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
leigh Posted - 07/11/2012 : 10:35:21
Is it a realistic possibility for the Los Angeles Kings to repeat as Stanley Cup Champions in 2013?
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Pasty7 Posted - 07/28/2012 : 20:53:52
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9052

I'm not suggesting they can't repeat, just that they arean't the odds-pn favourite to do so.

The NHL playoffs are a gruelling competition that only starts after an 82-game regular season that isn't much easier. If everyone can stay healthy and play to their potential, then sure, the Kings repeat because they have one of the best tems on paper (I won over $1000 total in 3 playoff pools because I thought the Kings were unbeatable after Carter got there).

So, having said that, it is really hard to repeat as Stanley Cup champions. Short off-season, target-on-their-backs, whatever ckiche you ascribe...but clihches are cliches for a reason. They have a basis in fact. The Kings have a chance - probably a better chance than any of the last 10 winners - but they probably won't. Do I think they can repeat? Yes. Do I think they will? No.

in their favor to that though is they only played 20 games int he playoffs, it wasn;t has long hard and grueling as most stanley cup runs are

Hello, 911? It's an emergency, my teddy bear's been kidnapped!
[pause] Hello? Hello?
Guest9052 Posted - 07/28/2012 : 18:19:38
I'm not suggesting they can't repeat, just that they arean't the odds-pn favourite to do so.

The NHL playoffs are a gruelling competition that only starts after an 82-game regular season that isn't much easier. If everyone can stay healthy and play to their potential, then sure, the Kings repeat because they have one of the best tems on paper (I won over $1000 total in 3 playoff pools because I thought the Kings were unbeatable after Carter got there).

So, having said that, it is really hard to repeat as Stanley Cup champions. Short off-season, target-on-their-backs, whatever ckiche you ascribe...but clihches are cliches for a reason. They have a basis in fact. The Kings have a chance - probably a better chance than any of the last 10 winners - but they probably won't. Do I think they can repeat? Yes. Do I think they will? No.
Guest4178 Posted - 07/12/2012 : 12:57:21
It's very tough to win the Stanley Cup, let alone repeat!

In the last ten seasons, only three cup-defending teams have made it past the first round. After winning the cup in 2001, Colorado made it to the 3rd round in 2002. The Penguins were ousted in the second round in the 2010 playoffs, after winning the year before.

Only Detroit was close (very close) losing to Pittsburgh in the seventh game in 2009.

And of the seven teams which did not get past the first round (after winning the cup the year before), Carolina didn't even get past the regular season in 2007 after beating Edmonton to win the cup in 2006.

It's very very tough to repeat, and while the Kings are a very good team (one can say a great team for how they did in this year's playoffs), the odds are against them to repeat.

But do they have a "realistic possibility?" Of course they do, but probably 7 or 8 teams look to have a realistic possibility to win the cup next year. Why not?

@valanche Posted - 07/11/2012 : 20:25:13
It's definitely realistic that they can compete for the cup. But I don't think they will. Just a look at previous winners often they take it easy to start the season due to a shortened summer. It's not uncommon for a team to even miss the Playoffs after winning the cup in recent years. Jon quick carried this team through the season, if he is injured for any lengthy stretch I say they miss playoffs for sure.

66 is > than 99
umteman Posted - 07/11/2012 : 17:31:27
certainly they have a realistic chance, but the odds are still against them. making it through four rounds of playoffs does get any easier even if you have done it once. just look at the talent on a Pens team that couldn't repeat.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
Alex116 Posted - 07/11/2012 : 16:30:42
Absolutely they have a "realistic" chance to repeat, why wouldn't they? I'd love to hear from the 2 "no" votes as to why there's not a chance???

I'm not saying they'd be the favorite and with the way the game is today i wouldn't be betting on them repeating but how anyone can say they don't have a good chance is puzzling.
Guest4178 Posted - 07/11/2012 : 15:31:18
It would be hard to argue that the Kings do not have a good chance at repeating as Cup champs, especially in context with their dominance in winning the Cup this season.

I would put the same disclaimer on it as Beans, that barring key injuries and other "uncontrollables," they have a realistic possibility to repeat as Stanley Cup champs in 2013. (Whatever "realistic possibility" means.)

I would have said the same thing about the Bruins in 2011, that they had a reasonable chance of repeating as Stanley Cup champs in 2012, but look what happened to them.

The NHL has become very competitive at the top, and while there is not absolute parity (who wants a league full of .500 teams anyway), there are more than a handful of teams who have a legitimate shot at the Stanley Cup this season.

Entering the playoffs this season, most people would have put the Canucks, Blues, Wings, Predators, Hawks, Rangers, Bruins, Flyers and Penguins ahead of the Kings in likelihood of winning the Cup, but look what happened.

Can the Kings do the same next season? Maybe, but winning the Cup takes a convergence of events to take place, and a team needs to have their players performing at a peak for four grueling rounds. The Kings were able to do so this year, but in all likelihood, it will be another team which does so next year.

I would put the Kings around 8-1 to win the cup in 2013, which are not bad odds, and odds which I believe do not disrespect what they achieved this season.

So yes, they have a realistic opportunity to repeat, but with 16 strong teams making the playoffs (which is the case these days), this puts their odds (8-1 which is what I'm suggesting) two times better than the odds of an "average" team winning the Cup. A team like St. Louis or Nashville, or Chicago or the Rangers.

There are no "odds on favourites" to win the cup these days, and despite the Kings great finish this season, I would pick the Pittsburgh Penguins (with the same disclaimer, as it relates to players' health, etc.) to be more likely to win the Cup in 2013 than the Kings.

My opinion reflects what most professional bookmakers believe. Bovado currently has the Penguins at 7-1 and the Kings at 11-1, these odds which were posted just after the Kings won the Cup a few weeks ago.

I found another betting site which had the Canucks at 11-1 and the Kings at 12-1. If one is to believe the odds on the Kings should be lower, now's the time to put your money where your mouth is! For me, it's way too early to tell. There's still too much glitter on the Kings right now, a shine which is unlikely to be at the same high level as soon as the 2012-2013 season gets underway.

Don't get me wrong. The Kings proved themselves to be a great team this season, and I believe they belong in the category of the top 3-4 teams in the NHL. (As we enter the 2012-2013 season.) But they're a long way from winning their second Cup, which always looks more realistic just after a Cup win, when the memory of their great play (and good fortune) is still fresh on our minds.
Beans15 Posted - 07/11/2012 : 14:10:23
Without considering health and any other uncontrollables, I can't see why this team will not compete again. Actually, I have not been impressed with much any team in the West can done to improve so they would likely be my odds on favorites.

I see this team built for the playoffs. I don't expect them to lead the West or even their division over 82 games. But they are a group full of ultra competative players that have the chops to take it to the next level. Once they are in the playoffs, look out.

Daniel Alfredsson is the MVP of the universe. All hail the Ottawa Senators!!!!!
fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 07/11/2012 : 12:47:02
I'd have to agree, it seemed they found the one key thing that was missing in the first half of last season, and they found it in their subsequent push to make, then dominate the playoffs, and that was their confidence in how good of a team they were.

I thought they played well below expectations early last year, and now that they found their mojo, absolutely no reason they can't be a strong favorite to repeat.
Pasty7 Posted - 07/11/2012 : 12:22:32
With basicly their whole roster returning, with J quick Brown Richards Carter Penner Gagne (hopefully a healthy season from him) Kopitar Williams King Stoll Doughty this is going to be a tough team to beat

Anybody with ability can play in the big leagues. But to be able to trick people year in and year out the way I did, I think that was a much greater feat.
Bob Uecker

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page