Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hits, Fights and other Nasties!
 Brutal Knee on Knee

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Pasty7 Posted - 05/16/2013 : 16:12:56

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDjuhi-ZBv4

Staal and Edler colide in Canada's loss at the worlds and wow what a brutal knee on knee collision, watching it almost looks like Edler never even tries to line Staal up. I don't know what his intentions were but this looks bad to me.

Hello, 911? It's an emergency, my teddy bear's been kidnapped!
[pause] Hello? Hello?
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alex116 Posted - 05/18/2013 : 20:57:45
Good news all around as Staal is back in Carolina and has been diagnosed with a 3rd degree sprain of the MCL. Could have been MUCH MUCH worse.
Alex116 Posted - 05/17/2013 : 09:17:56
Were any of you guys watching the game by chance? I'm wondering why Edler was the last of the 5 Swede's on the ice to get back into the defensive zone? I'm guessing it was a simple case of a bad pinch / turnover at the other end but it seemed odd to see him so late getting back?

Still can't figure this hit out. Certainly i don't think he's the predatory type, but he just didn't do enough to avoid the hit. Maybe he though Staal was going to go to his (Edler's) left rather than right and was going for a full body check but this didn't even come close! One thing to remember, a knee on knee hit, whether you're ready for it or not, is very dangerous for both guys involved. It's not often that a guy intentionally tries to do this, though it does happen. It's usually the result of a clumsy / dopey hit and dopey really describes Edler's play of late.
nuxfan Posted - 05/17/2013 : 08:41:01
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

It didn't seem to be a "targetted" hit, but to call this incidental would be foolish, I think, and a huge oversight.

Edler, no history at all for this notwithstanding, is clearly moving forward straight into his knee. He is an NHL hockey player, Staal is right in front of him, and he is going forward - to suggest he doesn't realise that Staals knee is there . . . I'd find it so unlikely as to be near impossible. To me, he leaves his own leg out there on purpose to catch his leg/hip . . . and it turns into an uglier knee on knee.

The key for me is this, and you hockey players out there can confirm it:
If you DON'T see the collision happening . . . wouldn't Edler have gotten hurt too? And badly? Doesn't the fact that he skates away from this suggest that he may have had it slightly bent/flexed/tensed and ready for the collision?

To me, that is the sort of circumstantial (and speculative, I know) evidence that is pretty damning, on top of the way it looked overall.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug

There is no doubt that Edler was preparing for a hit, and he knew contact was coming. I don't think he was planning for a full knee-on-knee hit like the one that happened, but thats what ended up happening.

Perhaps he was thinking that Staal was going to turn into him? Or that Staal was not going to dipsy doodle with a backhand? I'm sure someone will ask Edler eventually. Hopefully Staal is not hurt too badly, but it looked bad.
sahis34 Posted - 05/17/2013 : 08:26:39
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley

I only saw the replay once but it looked incidental. I'll have to watch it a few more times

As much as I want to have a canuck player be a cheap bastard I just cant see intent here.But based on the injury and recklessness he should still be suspended for the rest of the tournament
Beans15 Posted - 05/17/2013 : 08:05:47
Edler is a dbag, just look at the team he plays for!

As I watch the replay in slo-mo, I see Edler appear to begin to move his leg out of the way then he moves in the opposite direction to plant his skate and brace for the hit. Similar to what Slozo said, incidental knee on knee contact rarely ends with only one person feeling the pain. I think Edler may not have intended to hurt Staal but he certainly intended to hit knee on knee.

I thought Brian Marchment was reincarnated as a Swede!

Ottawa, the best coached team in the NHL, with MVP like players such as Chris Neil, will win the Cup in 2013!

n/a Posted - 05/17/2013 : 05:25:24
It didn't seem to be a "targetted" hit, but to call this incidental would be foolish, I think, and a huge oversight.

Edler, no history at all for this notwithstanding, is clearly moving forward straight into his knee. He is an NHL hockey player, Staal is right in front of him, and he is going forward - to suggest he doesn't realise that Staals knee is there . . . I'd find it so unlikely as to be near impossible. To me, he leaves his own leg out there on purpose to catch his leg/hip . . . and it turns into an uglier knee on knee.

The key for me is this, and you hockey players out there can confirm it:
If you DON'T see the collision happening . . . wouldn't Edler have gotten hurt too? And badly? Doesn't the fact that he skates away from this suggest that he may have had it slightly bent/flexed/tensed and ready for the collision?

To me, that is the sort of circumstantial (and speculative, I know) evidence that is pretty damning, on top of the way it looked overall.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Ripley Posted - 05/17/2013 : 02:30:50
I only saw the replay once but it looked incidental. I'll have to watch it a few more times
Alex116 Posted - 05/17/2013 : 00:36:37
This is the first i've seen of it and it's really bad! Everything i heard on the radio today suggested that the suspension will be significant as the IIHF is pretty strict with this kind of stuff?

Having said that, Edler, as has been mentioned, is not the type of guy to find himself in this kind of situation. He's a pretty mild mannered person and that's always seemed to translate to his on ice persona as well. This particular hit when you first watch the hit looks absolutely terrible and intentional. However, no one is gonna convince me that Alex Edler, of all people, intended to do this (inflict what looks to be some serious damage to Staal). Having said that, it's his responsibility for this hit and he's gonna have to pay the price for a mistake he made. I can't figure it out really, he looks originally as though he's gonna hit him body to body, but seems to bail out as Staal dishes off the puck. Unfortunately, his lower body doesn't bail out and this results in what i can only imagine is some serious ligament damage to Eric Staal's knee!!!
Statman Posted - 05/16/2013 : 22:23:21
This needs to be a heavy suspension, in my books. And with not much time left in this tournament, he may be serving some games during the Olympics. Edler certainly isn't known to be a predatory player, so maybe he gets the benefit of the doubt, but that's as bad of a knee hit as I've seen.
nuxfan Posted - 05/16/2013 : 17:01:46
it certainly looks bad for Staal, he was in some serious pain.

Definitely uncharacteristic for Edler, he is certainly not a dirty player. No idea what he was thinking there.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page