Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Malkin re-ups

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alex116 Posted - 06/13/2013 : 12:29:11
The Pens have signed Evgeni Malkin to a staggering 8 year / 76 million dollar deal! It increases his cap hit from 8.7 to 9.5 per season, in a time where the cap is decreasing!!!

I don't think there's any way they can afford a guy with a contract like Luongo's now!
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alex116 Posted - 06/19/2013 : 15:55:57
Wow, Vancouver would love to have him but i don't see them having what Pittsburgh would be asking in return!

I too can see this happening (trading of Letang). The Pens are deep on D with a few good prospects who're pegged to be offensive dmen, therefore the need to move Letang could be real. For Pittsburgh, there's not much of a better time to be in the position of needing to trade him as his value is at it's highest it's ever been.
umteman Posted - 06/19/2013 : 12:44:08
quote:
Originally posted by Guest5052

I like letang and there would be no shortage of teams interested in paying him big money, if they could fit it under the cap.

I cant blame Pitts if they let him go anyway. Just the economics of the cap era.

I could see a team like SJ make a big push for him, or ana or Det... but who knows. He'd be a great fit anywhere.

yeah, defensemen with Letang's offensive skills always fit in nicely anywhere. I like Letang too, and like the way he fit in in Pittsburgh. 40 - 50 assist defensemen aren't just around every corner.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
Guest5052 Posted - 06/19/2013 : 11:23:36
I like letang and there would be no shortage of teams interested in paying him big money, if they could fit it under the cap.

I cant blame Pitts if they let him go anyway. Just the economics of the cap era.

I could see a team like SJ make a big push for him, or ana or Det... but who knows. He'd be a great fit anywhere.
Beans15 Posted - 06/19/2013 : 11:02:46
If that's true there will be PILES of teams looking at Letang.

I think he would look great in Orange and Blue.

UFA!UFA!UFA!UFA!UFA!UFA!UFA!UFA!UFA!UFA!UFA!UFA!UFA!UFA!UFA!UFA!UFA!UFA!UFA!

Ottawa, the best coached team in the NHL, with MVP like players such as Chris Neil, will win the Cup in 2013!

umteman Posted - 06/19/2013 : 10:04:33
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Let's to forget that Mr. Letang also needs a new deal. Might as well pencil him in for $7 million per season.

That means Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and Fleury(who Shero said is not going anywhere) will make up $28 million of cap space. Throw in Neal and Martin and Pitt will have $38 million dedicated to 6 players.

It will be those 6 guys and an AHL roster for the next few years.

Ottawa, the best coached team in the NHL, with MVP like players such as Chris Neil, will win the Cup in 2013!

Here seems to be the answer to that Beans.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/pittsburgh-penguins-trade-kris-letang-153214865.html

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
Guest4178 Posted - 06/14/2013 : 10:37:14
It's interesting to compare Malkin's contract with Crosby's.

For the past five years, Malkin and Crosby have been equally paid at $8.7 million per season.

Crosby re-signed before the lockout for a massive 12 year $104.4 million deal (which starts in 2013-2014), which is heavily front-loaded. This works out to the "usual" $8.7 million per season for Crosby, a number combination for which he feels quite comfortable. (He was born on the 8th month of the year, and the 7th day of the year, in 1987 after all.)

For Malkin, his term is a bit shorter (8 years), but it's the maximum under the new terms of the CBA.

And while Malkin's cap-hit earnings will be $9.5 million a season, I think Crosby's contract is a bit better. Crosby effectively earns $8.7 a season for 12 years (once again front-loaded), which guarantees him to be paid well into his late 30's.

Crosby will actually earn $95.4 million over the first 9 years of his deal, and $3 million a season for the last three years of his 12-year deal.

As for Malkin, he will turn 35 years old when his deal expires in 2021. So it depends on what kind of a player he is then. If he's still producing, it's possible he could sign for the same kind of money (or more), especially if league revenues continue to rise (with the exception of the past year), which is usually the case.

By 2021, it's possible the leagues highest players could be making $15 million or more per season. In this case, Crosby would make far less (in the last three years of his deal), than what the current superstars of the time are making, players like Nathan MacKinnon, Jonathan Drouin, or perhaps even Connor McDavid.
Guest2633 Posted - 06/14/2013 : 05:56:52
Hope those peak years are a little more productive than the last series against Boston.
umteman Posted - 06/14/2013 : 05:34:57
Crosby is 25 and Malkin 26. I believe they are both about to enter their peak period and having them both locked in to spend their peak years together with the club - priceless.

Beans15 Posted - 06/14/2013 : 05:00:53
Let's to forget that Mr. Letang also needs a new deal. Might as well pencil him in for $7 million per season.

That means Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and Fleury(who Shero said is not going anywhere) will make up $28 million of cap space. Throw in Neal and Martin and Pitt will have $38 million dedicated to 6 players.

It will be those 6 guys and an AHL roster for the next few years.

umteman Posted - 06/13/2013 : 15:04:22
that's ok, I'd rather keep Malkin anyway.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page