Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Lecavalier bought out

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 06/27/2013 : 10:24:00
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426423

Surprised Lecavalier hasn't been talked about much. With 32 points in 39 games last season, this guys career is hardly over and whomever gets him is gonna get a top 6 center with tonnes of offensive prowess. So many teams could use this guy. He is a 30+ goal scorer and a big body.

This cost Tampa $32.666 million over the next 14 years.

"I now realise that the Toronto Maple Leafs, Canada's finest hockey team, is better than the Ottawa Senators - and always will be. PS - LOVE that Dion Phaneuf! "
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
nuxfan Posted - 07/03/2013 : 16:10:21
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4178

Okay – I understand (mostly) the impact of the new CBA and the declining salary cap (at least for the coming season) on player moves, signings, etc.

But let me get this straight. Tampa is paying Lecavalier $32.67 million to go away and not play hockey for their team again. The difference between this amount and the amount left on his contract is $21.33 million.

So in essence, Tampa decided that Lecavalier is not worth $21.33 million to play for their team for the next 7 seasons, through until when his contract was set to expire after the the 2019-2020 season.

$21.33 million over seven years works out to around $3 million a season for Lecavalier.

Meanwhile, Philadelphia (a team with more cap issues than Tampa Bay) has now signed Lecavalier to play for them at $4.5 million a season for the next five seasons, a deal worth $22.5 million. So Philadelphia is paying more for Lecavalier in five years than what Tampa would have paid to keep him as a player on their team for seven years?

Do I have this straight?

Sure, I know the buyout money is over 14 years, but with interest rates where they are (and where they've been for many years), the present value to future value consideration on this deal is not overly significant.

And sure, Tampa has their cap issues, and maybe Lecavalier didn't fit into their long term plans, but this deal is interesting to say the least.

I'm not sure if Lecavalier considers himself ahead in this deal or not? He was going to earn $54 million over the next seven seasons, at $7.7 million a season.

Lecavalier will earn about the same amount ($54 million) by only playing five years with the Flyers, which works out to $11 million per season. Sure, $32.67 million is going to be paid over the next 14 years, but when you add this to his Philly contract ($22.5 miliion), it still adds up to $54 million. And he can either decide to retire, or sign a new contract with whichever team he chooses.

Lecavalier has a better chance of being resigned in five years (at 38 years of age) than in seven years (at 40 years of age), and who knows, maybe he will still have something left in the tank?

But my guess is that Lecavalier's best years are behind him (like most players who are in their early to mid 30's), so maybe Tampa made the right move?

We shall see. We may not know for a few more seasons, after we see what Lecavalier brings to the Flyers.

You are looking at this from the wrong point of view. Things like present value vs future value, or player worth, don't matter. TB has to fit under a 64M cap next year and in years beyond, and it would have been extremely difficult to do so if Lecavalier was eating up nearly 8M of that cap hit for the next 7 years.

The team that buys out cannot resign a player. I'm sure if TB could have renegotiated or resigned Lecavalier at the 4.5M that PHI did and for only 5 years, they would have in a heartbeat.
Guest4178 Posted - 07/03/2013 : 11:46:49
Okay – I understand (mostly) the impact of the new CBA and the declining salary cap (at least for the coming season) on player moves, signings, etc.

But let me get this straight. Tampa is paying Lecavalier $32.67 million to go away and not play hockey for their team again. The difference between this amount and the amount left on his contract is $21.33 million.

So in essence, Tampa decided that Lecavalier is not worth $21.33 million to play for their team for the next 7 seasons, through until when his contract was set to expire after the the 2019-2020 season.

$21.33 million over seven years works out to around $3 million a season for Lecavalier.

Meanwhile, Philadelphia (a team with more cap issues than Tampa Bay) has now signed Lecavalier to play for them at $4.5 million a season for the next five seasons, a deal worth $22.5 million. So Philadelphia is paying more for Lecavalier in five years than what Tampa would have paid to keep him as a player on their team for seven years?

Do I have this straight?

Sure, I know the buyout money is over 14 years, but with interest rates where they are (and where they've been for many years), the present value to future value consideration on this deal is not overly significant.

And sure, Tampa has their cap issues, and maybe Lecavalier didn't fit into their long term plans, but this deal is interesting to say the least.

I'm not sure if Lecavalier considers himself ahead in this deal or not? He was going to earn $54 million over the next seven seasons, at $7.7 million a season.

Lecavalier will earn about the same amount ($54 million) by only playing five years with the Flyers, which works out to $11 million per season. Sure, $32.67 million is going to be paid over the next 14 years, but when you add this to his Philly contract ($22.5 miliion), it still adds up to $54 million. And he can either decide to retire, or sign a new contract with whichever team he chooses.

Lecavalier has a better chance of being resigned in five years (at 38 years of age) than in seven years (at 40 years of age), and who knows, maybe he will still have something left in the tank?

But my guess is that Lecavalier's best years are behind him (like most players who are in their early to mid 30's), so maybe Tampa made the right move?

We shall see. We may not know for a few more seasons, after we see what Lecavalier brings to the Flyers.
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 07/03/2013 : 07:53:57
I know Lecavalier is still a top 6 and good for him to cash in on a 5 year deal, but I thought Philly overpaid, again for a free agent. I also think Philly is gonna see how Leclair pans out. He seemed to impress management prior to his signing. If my memory is correct Philly wasn't easy to beat down the stretch like the other non playoff teams were.

"I now realise that the Toronto Maple Leafs, Canada's finest hockey team, is better than the Ottawa Senators - and always will be. PS - LOVE that Dion Phaneuf! "
Guest5052 Posted - 07/03/2013 : 07:40:14
I think that will be a good fit for Vinny. Playing Behind Giroux and with a good offensive minded team.

I do question whether or not Philly wouldnt have been better served trying to get upgrades on D, and they still might, or goaltending. How they didnt offer more than Jersey did for Schnieder is beyond me.
umteman Posted - 07/03/2013 : 05:02:25
Well, the Lightening needed cap space and the Flyers needed a forward so the move by either team isn't really a surprise - only the length of the deal.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
Guest4661 Posted - 07/02/2013 : 16:40:21
Veteran free agent forward Vincent Lecavalier has agreed to a deal with the Philadelphia Flyers that, according to TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger, will be a five-year, $22.5 million contract
Alex116 Posted - 06/27/2013 : 15:18:09
quote:
Originally posted by Guest2388

where does he go now .... montreal?
toronto?
florida?
columbus?

Montreal maybe, but prob only if they were able to trade Plekanec away for something?
Guest2388 Posted - 06/27/2013 : 14:59:54
where does he go now .... montreal?
toronto?
florida?
columbus?
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 06/27/2013 : 13:41:07
He gets 1.7 million for 14 years as per cap geek, plus extra $3million for the next 2 years and $2 million for the 3rd year for his signing bonus. Yes he gets that regardless of a newly signed contract.

Tampa tried to get Toronto to trade for his contract only to buy him out in an attempt to resign him to a lower cap hit. The league caught wind of it and told all teams, under no circumstances will they sign off on any deal which would circumvent the buyout rules and allow a player to resign to a team for a period of 1 year from which they are contracted to. Tampa having attemted to trade away his buyout only to resign him later was put on notice that the league feels this would have been that type of attempt.

I didn't think the league would be so serious about the new CBA, whereas the old CBA was a joke with teams finding loopholes all over it. Good on them to punish teams finally for pushing contracts to the limits.

just1n Posted - 06/27/2013 : 11:30:47
I can't confirm, but I think so. I think he gets those payments regardless.

Alex116 Posted - 06/27/2013 : 11:29:03
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426423

Surprised Lecavalier hasn't been talked about much. With 32 points in 39 games last season, this guys career is hardly over and whomever gets him is gonna get a top 6 center with tonnes of offensive prowess.

I'm assuming you mean a C for a 1st or 2nd line, depending on the team??? When i first read it, i thought you meant top6 C in the league??? Yikes....

Can anyone clarify for me, as i've been extremely ignorant of all the buyout rules but i hear Lecavalier will rec approx 2M per year for the next 14 years (from TB). Now, if he signs for lets say 5 years / 25M elsewhere, does this 2M per year still come to him no matter what???
just1n Posted - 06/27/2013 : 11:16:07
Stuff like this just makes me think of the fans who can't afford tickets and how we have to have lockouts in order to save the owner's from themselves. Ridiculous!
nuxfan Posted - 06/27/2013 : 10:46:04
TBH, I didn't think that TB would buy him out - they are not a cash-rich team, and this is an expensive move for their ownership group.

But now that he's available, I would think several teams would be interested in getting him, for all the reasons you mentioned. And for all those reasons, he likely won't come cheap. I'm guessing he will still be able to command 5M a season on a multi-year deal.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page