Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Does Claude Giroux make Team Canada?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Pasty7 Posted - 08/18/2013 : 08:57:08
I have been having this debate with a few buddies, My buddy's are convinced Claude Giroux is a lock to make the 2014 Canadian Olympic men's hockey team. I on the other hand am not to sure so lets put it to a vote!

Does Claude Giroux play for Canada in Sochi 2014?

Hello, 911? It's an emergency, my teddy bear's been kidnapped!
[pause] Hello? Hello?
27   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Pasty7 Posted - 01/08/2014 : 10:52:26
Alex I will say this Nash is the only guy to me on Team Canada who made the team based purley on reputation. He is having the kind of year that he may have played his way off the team. I think he made this team because A. he skates like the wind, B. Hockey Canada has a soft spot in their heart for the guy C. he s a winger

Now for Giroux the reason I think he did not make this team is:
Stamkos Tavares Geztlaf Crosby and Toews are all superior centers to him and Stamkos and Tavres most likly will already be centers playing out of posistion.

Next you have Duchene who IMO has out played Giroux this year so again he makes the team before Giroux,

Now in the top winger spots Giroux doesn;t fit in IMO how does he take the place of Marleau, Perry, Benn, Sharp or Kunitz who have been every bit as good as Giroux this season and all are natural wingers? to me in a short Tourny i wouldn`t want to risk Giroux takeing more time to adapt to the wing when I have arguably as good if not better wingers available,

[pause] Hello? Hello?
Alex116 Posted - 01/07/2014 : 16:29:34
quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

and people laughed! granted i will say this with the last few months he has been lights out and could easily be on this team but as was my original argument Canada has too many great centers abov him on the depth chart!

[pause] Hello? Hello?

Pasty, i'm shocked. Not just at Giroux's omission, but because of the fact he's played so well the past two months! Sure, a month into the season it would have been easy to say he's not gonna be there, but with his play the past 2 months, i'm very surprised. I've read comments in articles all over the net and many think it's due to his and Crosby's "not so good" relationship? I know they've battled in the playoffs and what not but really? Does Sid really have a say in something like this? I'd like to think not.

Funny looking back that i called Giroux a lock and you called Nash one. You may have won that argument, but it's certainly up for debate whether or not they took the right guy! With Giroux's ability to play the wing (as well as his C spot), kill penatlies, play the PP and skate as good as almost anyone, it's a surprise to see him scratched for this lineup. You were right though in saying that he woudln't make it as a winger over a guy like Nash who's natural spot is the wing.
Pasty7 Posted - 01/07/2014 : 10:52:27
and people laughed! granted i will say this with the last few months he has been lights out and could easily be on this team but as was my original argument Canada has too many great centers abov him on the depth chart!

[pause] Hello? Hello?
n/a Posted - 11/05/2013 : 10:01:07
0 (that's a ZERO, btw) goals and 6 assists in 13 games to start the season . . . yikes.

A slower start to the season, with basically no pre-season, I could understand. But this is beyond that . . . this is pooping the bed, to be honest.

At this point, odds are much greater that Giroux DOESN'T make it on Team Canada.

And that's . . . ok with me. Canada has so much rich talent at forward and especially centre . . . let's go with who is actually playing very well!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Alex116 Posted - 11/04/2013 : 21:58:31
Reading back through this thread that includes a Nash vs Giroux debate, where are we now? Nash is concussed and the Rangers are extremely tight lipped regarding his recovery while Giroux is not playing anywhere near the level expected of him! James Neal's name is mentioned and he's not even back from injury yet! Others who are intriguing due to what most might consider "bubble status" would be Eric Staal, who's not off to a great start and Matt Duchene and Logan Couture who are off to really hot starts. The latter two, I don't think many would have had on this team prior to the season, though they both seem to be doing their best to get there? Not sure about Duchene, but I know Couture plays some wing, which is likely where either of these guys would have to find a spot?

Only a month into the season, but it's already looking like some guys need to step their games up if they wanna join Team Canada in Sochi!
n/a Posted - 08/27/2013 : 07:15:47
From all reports yesterday, it was a more involved session, involving ball hockey on the large "ice" surface (a covered ice rink the size they will be playing on). They mostly concentrated on spacing and positioning. Makes sense.

And I heard more on how Giroux had just finished his surgery, and needed the rest . . . and it didn't make sense for him to just sit and watch the guys do their drills. Again, a lot more forgiveable than when I first heard it.

No, as long as he rehabs well, I see Giroux on this team.

Alex116 Posted - 08/26/2013 : 08:10:12
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

The NO SKATES, OFF THE ICE "bonding" Training Camp has begun:
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/no-skates-needed-players-arrive-canadas-mens-olympic-171422523.html

So yes, to be clear - what Giroux is missing here is . . . sitting around and chatting about stuff.

Actually, it sort of makes me wonder why he ISN'T going there now . . . a hand injury can't stop you from bonding sessions! A bit of a headscratcher, that one.

I get the feeling this is a very informal "bonding" session where most of these guys have already met / played together, etc. I also read there was a few rounds of golf involved, obviously an event Gioux would be far from participating in. Either way, if i'm him and i'm able, i'd prob be there, even if it were to drive a cart around and caddy for one of the guys, just to be a part of it and show interest in it all.

I'm actually thinking that he was prob told not to bother AND depending on when his surgery was, may have had to be around the Doc for a checkup (ensure no infection, etc) and / or other procedures? In no way do i think this will affect his chances of being on the team, unless the injury doesn't heal properly and it affects his on ice performance.
n/a Posted - 08/26/2013 : 05:19:26
The NO SKATES, OFF THE ICE "bonding" Training Camp has begun:
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/no-skates-needed-players-arrive-canadas-mens-olympic-171422523.html

So yes, to be clear - what Giroux is missing here is . . . sitting around and chatting about stuff.

Actually, it sort of makes me wonder why he ISN'T going there now . . . a hand injury can't stop you from bonding sessions! A bit of a headscratcher, that one.

Alex116 Posted - 08/23/2013 : 14:04:45
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Giroux injures his hand when . . . the shaft of his golf club shatters?!? Yikes. That's a tough one to swallow . . . what the heck was Giroux trying to hit, a boulder?

Gotta be a pretty bad miss, no? Obviously graphite shaft (assumed) but even still, you'd have to be a pretty bad hack to hit enough earth to shatter one i'd think? Who knows though, it may have been cracked??? Most hockey players are pretty good golfers but not all i guess?
Tough break for him. I thought i heard 6 weeks, not 3?
mandree888 Posted - 08/23/2013 : 10:57:05
fair enough slozo i understood it as an absolute. i assumed that meant he was not going to be on the olympic team.
n/a Posted - 08/23/2013 : 10:43:21
quote:
Originally posted by mandree888

AS PER TWEET BY Pierre Labrun

Claude Giroux won't attend Cdn Oly camp, going to focus on his rehab. Hockey Canada at this point doesn't plan to invite another player

looks like giroux is out

Looks like he's "out"?

Don't be silly . . . just because he's not attending the PRELIMINARY training camp, doesn't mean he's off the team.

The fact that they won't be inviting another player to take his place speaks volumes, I think.

mandree888 Posted - 08/23/2013 : 08:24:23
AS PER TWEET BY Pierre Labrun

Claude Giroux won't attend Cdn Oly camp, going to focus on his rehab. Hockey Canada at this point doesn't plan to invite another player

looks like giroux is out
n/a Posted - 08/23/2013 : 05:41:14
Giroux injures his hand when . . . the shaft of his golf club shatters?!? Yikes. That's a tough one to swallow . . . what the heck was Giroux trying to hit, a boulder?

Out two to three weeks, which means . . . a more hurried training camp (if any at all) and potential for some games missed. Not a good start to the season, but it's not quite serious enough to put doubt on him making the team, I think.

nuxfan Posted - 08/20/2013 : 12:04:52
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I agree that both players are likely to make the team. BUT, if I did have to pick between Giroux and Nash it would not be close. Giroux would be my guy. Faster, more versitily, better playmaker, and only slightly less effecient as a goal scorer. Sure, there is a difference in size but I think speed and mobility is more important on the big ice which makes Nash less appealing.

I would probably do the same, but would not want to have to make that decision. Nash is an anomaly for "big" hockey players - he has a rare combination of size and speed, and he uses both well. He also has an immense wingspan that he uses to his advantage, especially in front of the net. He has proven over many international tournaments that he can succeed on big ice, and as a pure scoring winger can be effective on that surface.

Ideally, we have a team Canada that includes both.
Beans15 Posted - 08/20/2013 : 09:08:34
I agree that both players are likely to make the team. BUT, if I did have to pick between Giroux and Nash it would not be close. Giroux would be my guy. Faster, more versitily, better playmaker, and only slightly less effecient as a goal scorer. Sure, there is a difference in size but I think speed and mobility is more important on the big ice which makes Nash less appealing.

Canada has succeeded on small ice with big bodies but their success (as well as that of other countries) on big ice has not been found with power and size type players.

Ottawa, the best coached team in the NHL, with MVP like players such as Chris Neil, will win the Cup in 2013!

JOSHUACANADA Posted - 08/20/2013 : 07:48:43
I would think Giroux makes the team, but I would think Nash does also. There is enough depth that one of the highest scoring wingers of international play the last decade or so, outta fit on the roster. Giroux being versatile as both a center and winger, with his recent success will likely play winger, but could see some center duty if they need to change up the lines.

"I now realise that the Toronto Maple Leafs, Canada's finest hockey team, is better than the Ottawa Senators - and always will be. PS - LOVE that Dion Phaneuf! "
n/a Posted - 08/20/2013 : 05:12:39
quote:

Giroux over Toews for the second line center? Toews is a top faceoff man in the league nd a selke type player and Giroux doesn`t bring more offense than Toews, no way Giroux centers a second line with Toews and Crosby healthy,

and Nash just a name? he`s coming off his best season in years, 44 games played and 42 points makes him the 6th highest scoring left winger in the NHL last year, only Kunitz Moulson Hall and Ladd scored more points from the left side.

anyone who watched Nash and the Rangers play last year saw Nash was the Rangers best player by leaps and bounds last year with the exception of maybe Lundquvist. and Nash is 4 years older yes but that makes him 29, thats a players prime,

Even if you think Nash isn`t a lock Giroux doesn`t make this team as a winger ahead of Rick Nash,

[pause] Hello? Hello?

And I forgot to respond to your Nash over Giroux comment . . .

I would definitely take Giroux over Nash, 100%.

Alex116 Posted - 08/19/2013 : 12:19:39
quote:

Giroux over Toews for the second line center? Toews is a top faceoff man in the league nd a selke type player and Giroux doesn`t bring more offense than Toews, no way Giroux centers a second line with Toews and Crosby healthy,

I do believe "Giroux brings more offense than Toews", however, Toews is far and away better at the other end of the ice. As for Giroux not centering a 2nd line with Crosby and Toews healthy, you could be right. In fact, Giroux could end up on Toews wing on line 2? I have no idea what the lines will be at this point but sticking with your original question, i stick by my guns. Giroux is on the team and i agree with Beans, he's not necessarily a "lock", but he's in the next tier.

I'm sure a thread will come to discuss potential lines for the Canadians, we can talk about exact spots then.
Beans15 Posted - 08/19/2013 : 11:40:07
I think Giroux is a level below the lock players but one of the top names on that list. I think the only locks on this team are Crosby, Stamkos, Toews, Weber, Doughty, and Keith. I can't see a team Canada without all of those guys.

For the next teir, I think Giroux is the top or one of the top names. How can you take a guy with his speed, skill, and scoring ability and not put him on the team?? I can think of few players I would put ahead of him.

Ottawa, the best coached team in the NHL, with MVP like players such as Chris Neil, will win the Cup in 2013!

nuxfan Posted - 08/19/2013 : 11:27:52
Claude Giroux actually does split time between centre and wing for PHI right now.

Like many of Canada's top players, Giroux is capable of playing both centre and wing, and I think that actually makes him more valuable than a single dimensional player. Things I like about Giroux:

- he is fast, and the Olympics are played on a large ice surface
- he scores in buckets, and plays both top PP and top PK minutes on his team - all around players will be in demand for team Canada.
- while he's not as good as Toews on the faceoff, a ~55% rating over the last 2 seasons is better than others that are considered "locks" for centre positions with team Canada. He's extremely good defensively, I think that gets overlooked to some extent.

Obviously, many of the prospective team Canada players have a lot of the same characteristics, but I think Giroux is one of the top-5 players in the NHL today - you don't leave one of the top-5 players in the game off the team.

I keep Giroux over Thornton, Duchene, Jordan Staal, possibly Bergeron
n/a Posted - 08/19/2013 : 09:35:29
I wouldn't say Giroux is an absolute lock, crazy enough to say . . . but, he's 80% in, IMHO.

They will have a "speedy" line out there, no question, and he'll be on it.

I suspect, even with him just getting on the squad . . . he could even slot in on wing with a Mike Richards / Jeff Carter.

Pasty7 Posted - 08/19/2013 : 07:29:07

and Nash just a name? he`s coming off his best season in years, 44 games played and 42 points makes him the 6th highest scoring left winger in the NHL last year, only Kunitz Moulson Hall and Ladd scored more points from the left side.

anyone who watched Nash and the Rangers play last year saw Nash was the Rangers best player by leaps and bounds last year with the exception of maybe Lundquvist. and Nash is 4 years older yes but that makes him 29, thats a players prime,

Even if you think Nash isn`t a lock Giroux doesn`t make this team as a winger ahead of Rick Nash,

[pause] Hello? Hello?
Alex116 Posted - 08/18/2013 : 20:19:54
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

Pasty....I hope you haven't wagered with your buddies? IMO, Giroux is a "lock" to make the team. It may mean he or Tavares moves to wing but he's on that squad barring injury. I don't know which guys are more capable of adapting to a wing but a fewl C's may find they have to do so. Either way, I voted a strong YES, he's there.

ok but what natural wingers do you cut in order to make room for Giroux? Nash is a lock , Stamkos is a lock to play on a line with Crosby Perry is a lock, is Giroux playing wing better than James Neal or Patrick Sharp playing their natural position? and on top of that with centers they are already familiar with?

[pause] Hello? Hello?

First off, I agree with Gipper in regards to Nash. I don't think he's a lock anymore, though I do think he still makes it thanks to chemistry with Crosby.
Now, to your post, I think without a doubt, Giroux makes it over Sharp as a winger if needed, keeping in mind, I don't know a ton about Giroux's capabilities of adapting to the wing. Neal only makes it if he plays the first half of the season with Crosby (not Malkin) AND lights it up. Again, I see Giroux over him. In fact, I think you may find Giroux, assuming he has a good first half, centering the 2nd line and it may in fact be Tavares who's got to battle it out for a wing spot? Again, this is early. If Tavares comes out and plays lights out till Christmas, a C spot could very well be his?
Either way, I still think Giroux makes this squad unless he's hurt (or totally sh!t's the bed in the first half!).
The_Gipper Posted - 08/18/2013 : 19:28:42
Patsy, i wouldn't say Nash is a lock. not anymore. he's gotten 4 years older since the last Olympics, and there are some good young players who have made great progress in that time. IMO Nash is becoming more of a name then anything else. not saying that it would be a mistake to put him on the team. but if he didn't make the team, it wouldn't be a glaring omission.
Pasty7 Posted - 08/18/2013 : 17:50:05
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

Pasty....I hope you haven't wagered with your buddies? IMO, Giroux is a "lock" to make the team. It may mean he or Tavares moves to wing but he's on that squad barring injury. I don't know which guys are more capable of adapting to a wing but a fewl C's may find they have to do so. Either way, I voted a strong YES, he's there.

ok but what natural wingers do you cut in order to make room for Giroux? Nash is a lock , Stamkos is a lock to play on a line with Crosby Perry is a lock, is Giroux playing wing better than James Neal or Patrick Sharp playing their natural position? and on top of that with centers they are already familiar with?

[pause] Hello? Hello?
Alex116 Posted - 08/18/2013 : 13:46:22
Pasty7 Posted - 08/18/2013 : 09:08:20
My argument as to why I don't see Giroux as a lock is as follows,

First i would like to say Giroux is a Elite hockey player and one of the best centers in the NHL. That being said here is a list of Centers invited to Team Canada's development camp.

Bergeron
Carter
Crosby
Geztlaf
Richards
Staal x2
Stamkos
Thornton
Toews
Tavares.
Duchene
Couture.

Now i know Couture does play a lot of wing so if he would make team Canada it would be as a winger due to the depth at center. Of the centers invited to camp IMO there are more than 4 who come before Giroux, Crosby, Toews are both locks for the teams top 2 center positions I would say Geztlaf is as lose to being a lock as could be for the 3rd line duties, to me Tavares, E. Staal Stamkos are all come before Giroux on this list.

Then Guys like Thornton Duchene Richards Carter and Bergeron are still kicking around.

I think Bergeron makes this team as the 4th line center because aside from Toews is the best faceoff man on the team and brings so much to a team at both ends of the rink.

Some will say well Giroux can play wing, but would Giroux a natural center come before wingers like Nash, Perry, Eberle, Hall, Neal, Sharp, St louis, not to mention Stamkos is almost sure to be put on Crosby's wing and even E. Staal is almost a lock to play with Perry and Geztlaf on the 3rd line.

I just find this team is quickley running out of room for Giroux,

[pause] Hello? Hello?

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page