Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Feaster out in Calgary

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
just1n Posted - 12/12/2013 : 12:06:33
"We've got to be big and more truculent -- I know you're all waiting for the word, there it is." - Brian Burke

Hard not to see this coming as soon as Burke was hired, but still a surprise as far as the timing goes.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=438812
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 12/14/2013 : 07:45:36
quote:
Originally posted by leigh

Yes, I was aware of it being an interim position, but two things happen here. 1) They supposedly can't find anyone and he takes the roll longer, or 2) he brings in someone he sees as his puppet.

Again, I don't have a problem with them making the change (although I do think Feaster deserved better) My issue is that they are calling it something else. Call it what it is. And I agree with you that if it was going to be done in the first 3 months it should have been done right away.

My guess is,
The plan has always been to have a somewhat rookie GM take the helm - Nieuwendyk being first choice - with burke being the steadying, very experienced steward looking over the shoulder and assisting where necessary.

It's been talked about a lot on Bob McCowan's show (am590), even when Burke was here in Toronto . . . Burke didn't do a lot of the nitty gritty of the job - Nonis did. Burke wants to be IN on absolutely everything, and is a bit of a control freak, for sure; but he is also a master delegator. I think the powers that be in Calgary really respect his savvy and hockey knowledge (I agree with them), but want to put in protections so that he does not make the same mistakes as in Toronto, including having to be in the spotlight and be the face of the team constantly.

I think with a guy like Nieuwendyk . . . it is likely that he is the next "Nonis" a quiet, unassuming guy to do the hands on operations, a good hockey man. Except in this case, he might be the actual GM, and Burke is just an "overseer" of sorts.

With the structure slightly changed . . . it could work.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Alex116 Posted - 12/13/2013 : 13:59:25
Something that hasn't been mentioned here is the timing, in regards to the Christmas season. Burkie always insisted as a GM that he had his own mini deadline around Christmas whereby he wouldn't make a trade/deal involving his players as he didn't want to disrupt a family around Christmas. This move on Feaster is two weeks from the big fat red suited guy making his rounds. I guess that deadline either doesn't apply to firing GM's or it's shorter than 2 weeks?
leigh Posted - 12/13/2013 : 10:55:52
Yes, I was aware of it being an interim position, but two things happen here. 1) They supposedly can't find anyone and he takes the roll longer, or 2) he brings in someone he sees as his puppet.

Again, I don't have a problem with them making the change (although I do think Feaster deserved better) My issue is that they are calling it something else. Call it what it is. And I agree with you that if it was going to be done in the first 3 months it should have been done right away.

Guest3792 Posted - 12/13/2013 : 10:40:25
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

quote:
Originally posted by slozo

To second what Alex said,
It really appears as if Burke is NOT taking the GM job - in fact, he asked his bosses supposedly, "am I going to be a candidate for the GM job as well? And they said no." IT's not going to be Burke.

Reportedly, someone (see: Nieuwendyk) has already been interviewed after getting permission from another club. So the process has started.

Also reported this morning, Nieuwendyk is not interested in the job.

Would be a big sigh of a relief for me if I was a Calgary fan. Joe was a disaster in Dallas..
nuxfan Posted - 12/13/2013 : 08:28:34
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

It really appears as if Burke is NOT taking the GM job - in fact, he asked his bosses supposedly, "am I going to be a candidate for the GM job as well? And they said no." IT's not going to be Burke.

Reportedly, someone (see: Nieuwendyk) has already been interviewed after getting permission from another club. So the process has started.

Also reported this morning, Nieuwendyk is not interested in the job.
n/a Posted - 12/13/2013 : 05:38:57

Alex116 Posted - 12/12/2013 : 22:16:08
Leigh.....I couldn't agree more. However, from what Burke is saying, he's actually not going to be the GM aside from an "interim" one until they hire someone? Rumour is, Joe Nieuwendyk?

IMO, if Feaster should have been fired, it should have been immediately after the Ryan O'Reilly fiasco! Man, could you imagine had they lost their pick (Monohan) due to their GM not knowing the rules???
just1n Posted - 12/12/2013 : 17:05:19
Of course, the news ends up being about Burke's hair. Hilarious.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1027226/brian-burkes-bad-hair-day-makes-great-twitter-fodder-for-kids/
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 12/12/2013 : 16:06:19
Message to the players or message to the rest of the league?

I don't think the players are going to react on the ice to the GM change and hold 3rd period leads any better. This is a clear shot to the league that Burke is the man in charge wherever he is.
leigh Posted - 12/12/2013 : 14:19:28
"I'm frustrated like all of our fans are with our inability to hold leads," Burke said. "I love how this team works, I love how the coaches are playing the kids ... I'm just frustrated that we seem to routinely turn third-period leads into losses." - Brian Burke

...so he fires the GM. The above explanation doesn't really sound like a GM problem. It sounds like a coaching/player personnel problem to me.

Be honest Burke, you wanted the GM role from the day you moved in. 3 years ago Feaster walked into a circus that was starting to pack up their big ring tent and move on to the next destination. He earned the right to see this season through completely, and in my opinion at least part of the next one (they only played half a season of hockey and got rid of Iginla less than one year ago) No one had ANY expectations for this team for this season and they show real promise - thanks in part to Feaster. Burke is correct that they are blowing leads in the 3rd a lot, but fix the problem on the ice, not in the board room. Feaster is clearly just a scapegoat so that Burke can get to where he planned to be in the first place.

I am not saying it is a bad move to have him in there; a little fire under their asses might produce good results. I'm just saying that his reasoning to the public to fire Jay Feaster and John Weisbrod is weak at best.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page