Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 McDavid or Crosby?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
leigh Posted - 10/24/2017 : 11:48:38
Ok. Fictional NHL team. 3 year contract. Of course, winning the Cup is the objective. Who do you take, and why?
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ryan93 Posted - 04/12/2018 : 20:09:14
Just when you think McDavid is the obvious answer, Crosby comes out and has a performance like he did last night in Game 1 against the Flyers. It’s still tough to bet against the guy.

That said, at least offensively, McDavid is the best player in the world now in 2018. But he should be at this stage. He is 10 years younger than Crosby. Sid will turn 31 this summer and just finished his 13th regular season. The fact that it’s actually still a legitimate debate at this stage of Crosby’s career is astonishing.

I have to mention Evgeni Malkin as well. He’s so often in the shadow of Crosby, but man, what a player he is! When he is on, he’s one of the most dominate players I’ve ever seen play. It’s too bad he’s had so many injury problems over the course of his career, or else his numbers would be that much better, probably somewhere around the 1100 range.
Beans15 Posted - 04/12/2018 : 11:01:44
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley

Interesting to look back at this at the end of the season. Crosby is playoff bound while McDavid wins the scoring race but is golfing. Still a tough question.

I think a more interesting way to look at this is if the player were to switch teams:

a) is it likely the Oilers would have been a better team with Crosby

b) would Pittsburg be more or less of a favorite with McDavid

I would suggest the later, no because Crosby is not a bad player but Pitt has a lot of good players. McDavid is a step up on Crosby as a hockey player.
Ripley Posted - 04/09/2018 : 08:41:38
Interesting to look back at this at the end of the season. Crosby is playoff bound while McDavid wins the scoring race but is golfing. Still a tough question.
n/a Posted - 01/22/2018 : 08:53:13
Voted Crosby, only for the fact that he's at a place right now where he isn't learning anything about leadership, what it takes to win the cup, etc. McDavid, as talented as he is, still probably has a lesson or two to go through, maybe three.

With a three year window, I take Crosby. I like Beans point about it depending on the team, but even on a veteran team, unless everyone as won the cup before . . . you still need that leadership, knowledge, experience.

Don't Leaf me hanging, Buds!
Pasty7 Posted - 12/19/2017 : 07:21:24
I love how the votes are evenly split 50, 50, to me that makes this one of the most accurate poll I have seen to date. I vote McDavid, the pure speed is exceptional but I think he has all the tools and even if he were to lose that step he would still be a force. This is in no way a slight on Crosby but I do think it is fitting that Crosby is 30 and Mcdavid is 20... hopefully we get to see generational talents like this more often then every 10 years!!

Hello, 911? It's an emergency, my teddy bear's been kidnapped!
[pause] Hello? Hello?
Beans15 Posted - 11/17/2017 : 10:26:24
I find this last point interesting as I could also ask when the last time Pittsburgh had success when Crosby or Malkin wasn't leading the way. In fact, one could look back and see that Pittsburgh only has success when both were healthy and playing well. So I don't see how that's an argument towards the Oilers success, or lack of success, based on McDavid or Draisaitl. Game to game, Pittsburgh is a deeper and more experienced team. Playoffs and winning Cups does not happen without both elite players playing well.

To answer the question, it's as equally hard to dispute Crosby's success from the perspective of winning as it is to argue that McDavid is the first generational player to come along since Crosby McDavid has all the gifts of a Crosby with speed better than that of Orr or Coffey. No player has ever been as fast and as offensively gifted at the same time. Ever.

This is not a black and white question as it would be based on who that 'fictional' NHL team was. If this is a team of veteran players who are missing that one factor of pushing them over the edge, it's McDavid all day. If it's a team of younger players that need to learn how to win, Crosby all day. I would not argue that McDavid on Pittsburgh today would be better for the team than Crosby and Crosby in Edmonton would be better for team than McDavid.

Today

Thankfully, I get to watch sweet baby McJesus for years and years and year to come.
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 11/10/2017 : 09:13:45
I posted my belief above, but I understand your argument against. I think if Crosby had to start from scratch, getting his team to buy in all over again, Edmonton does not have the "it" that Pittsburgh had when he was younger. No Malkin, Letang, Fluery, Roberts, Lemieux, now Kessel, Quinzel, Rust, Murray. The list goes on for why Pittsburgh has been so successful. Edmonton has McDavid and Draisaitl. It has been shown that without those 2 players, the remainder of Edmonton looks poor statistically, when they are on IR or the bench. Its a rare day indeed that Edmonton wins a game and Draisaitl or McDavid aren't the primary point getters.
leigh Posted - 11/08/2017 : 10:19:28
[/quote]JoshuaCanada - wrote: If McDavid and Crosby were traded for one another, McDavids potential in Pittsburgh would be sky high far above what its worth in Edmonton and Crosby would finally feel what its like to have to drag a team around, instead of being elevated. Its not a knock on Crosby, but putting McDavid in Pittsburgh would be the most incredible thing we have seen since Ovechkin and Crosby first broke into the league.
[/quote]

I find this argument interesting, but you could easily play devil's advocate here. It's not necessarily the difference in the quality of the players (yes that is a factor) but rather that the Pittsburgh team as a whole knows how to win. Edmonton, on paper has a damn good team, but Pittsburgh has the 'formula'. If you exchange these two and Crosby goes to Edmonton, with the talent on the Edmonton team you don't think he could turn them into a winner? I don't think he'd be dragging them around. Besides, you could argue that the competition in the East right now is more potent than the West.

At the same time, McDavid is a completely different player and could very well upset the apple cart in Pittsburgh. Crosby is slightly mythical, even among elite players. That Pittsburgh team rallies behind Crosby and without his leadership I don't think they could do it.

JOSHUACANADA Posted - 11/06/2017 : 11:09:06
quote:
Originally posted by just1n

The potential in the next three years is greater for McDavid. I don't think the past matters as much as you say it does. The supporting cast is a much bigger factor in hockey.

If McDavid and Crosby were traded for one another, McDavids potential in Pittsburgh would be sky high far above what its worth in Edmonton and Crosby would finally feel what its like to have to drag a team around, instead of being elevated. Its not a knock on Crosby, but putting McDavid in Pittsburgh would be the most incredible thing we have seen since Ovechkin and Crosby first broke into the league.
just1n Posted - 11/02/2017 : 13:11:18
The potential in the next three years is greater for McDavid. I don't think the past matters as much as you say it does. The supporting cast is a much bigger factor in hockey.
leigh Posted - 10/24/2017 : 15:08:58
I asked a couple guys in the office and both chose McDavid. I'm not surprised, and I think that is what makes this a really valid poll (last year not so much)

My gut tells me that I have to go Crosby here. I know McDavid is exciting, and will be the face of the league in the years to come (insert weak argument for Matthews) but Crosby has proven himself in every department for over a decade. And at only 30 years of age, he'll still be in his prime at the end of this argument's timeline.

- 3x Stanley cup champ (currently sitting on back to back championships)
- 2x Art Ross
- 2x Rocket Richard
- 2x Hart
- 7x All Star
- 2x Con Smythe

...and the list goes on. Only risk is the head injuries and I wonder if that would be the only reason someone would choose McDavid at this point. I think so.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page