Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference -Metropolitan Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Pittsburgh
 Penguins's Crosby out for 4 weeks minimum!

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
admin Posted - 01/19/2008 : 14:31:19
With Sidney Crosby out 4 to 6 weeks with a high-ankle sprain injury, how well will the Pittsburgh Penguins perform?
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Guest4735 Posted - 02/21/2008 : 18:28:46
I got crosby 1st overall, but got malkin a few rounds in, so i'm doing just fine
n/a Posted - 01/24/2008 : 06:20:18
Yeah, I'm another sap who picked Crosby first in the pool. Damn injuries.

Not sure why people do bash Crosby so much, especially when he has comported himself so well in the face of such marketing. He, along with Ovechkin and others, are going to be the young stars to market the game, as every sports business needs advertising. What's wrong with that? This is the nature of the business, and it is actually more a product of idol worship (the fault of the fans) than anything else. Ironic that many fans blame the idol for the attention they give to him and others.

I think Penguins'll do about .500, as Malkin (who should've been chosen for the all-star team in the first place, obviously, but that's another story) looks like a great replacement to shoulder the team's fortunes. As for the injury, I really hope Sid recovers properly - as others mentioned, it's a tough one to recover from. He is an awesome player, and I would love to see him perform for many years to come, fulfilling his potential. He has a lot of great hockey left to play, I hope.
LeafsFan4Life Posted - 01/24/2008 : 05:54:25
im not gonna shead a tear because he is out, nor am I going to jump up and down, but if hes gone hes gone and I guess the pens are going to have to pick up the slack.

not much more to say on this

Long Live Hockey
admin Posted - 01/21/2008 : 13:29:36
Hey poolies! Do yourself a favor and read this:

http://www.pickuphockey.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3388
Beans15 Posted - 01/21/2008 : 11:41:45
Here's the deal as I see it. Pitt started their first 20 games of the season playing around .400 hockey. The last 27 games they have played over .700 hockey. The can be good and bad with Crosby as well.

Don't get me wrong, you can't replace a player like Crosby, and they will see in impact. However, if they have the goal of playing .500 hockey until Crosby gets back, they will be fine.

The problem I see with them is their Schedule until March 1st (about the Time Crosby should return).

Home Games
Bruins
Capitals
Flyers
Hurricanes
Islanders
Kings
Senators
Sharks

Away Games
Flyers
Devils
Thrashers
Devils
Hurricanes
Sabres
Canadiens
Islanders
Bruins

Their are not many "easy" games in there. I see 2 against Carolina, 1 LA, 1 ATL, and 1 Wash. That's 5 of their next 17 games, meaning 12 tougher matches. 8 Home games, 9 road games, 5 of them in the division. It's not going to be an easy road.

I think the can reasonably play .500 until Crosby gets back. That would put thier record at around 35-25-4 (78 points) with 18 games remaining. If they win 10 or more of their last 18, they should finish for home ice in the first round.

Anything over .500 without Crosby out should be enough to get them in.

Wayne or Bobby?? How about both!!!
Guest4631 Posted - 01/21/2008 : 09:53:07
Oh Alex how the tables have turned on this topic we agree (which i'm sure is a relief to you) First of all as a leafs fan I took great joy in watching the Habs be the first team the pens beat without Crosby. I agree that this is a huge blow in fantasy leagues as well as the allstar game Crosby was voted number one by a landslide in allstar voting so to say this is a major dissapointment to vans there is alot of other talent going thats for sure but Crosby brings people to hockey games who don't even know the rules of the game and when you have the all star game in Atlanta it needs all the help it can get. Crosby is the Gretzky of our time in the way the league markets him talent wise thats a matter of opinion (just for the record I'm a fan have been since junior) but my point here is take Gretzky out of some of those All star games he played in and you change hockey history. So we all know now Crosby will get no points this allstar game but will never know what he might have accomplished if he were there. All the hating on Crosby is crazy I can't beleive theirs even blogs for that wow! This is just hockey and he is just a hockey player who I would place money on that 99% of you have never met. In my oppinion the pens will slip alittle maybe as low as 8th they still have Malkin who alot of teams would build around on his own Malkin should have a chip on his shoulder after being snubbed for the allstar game and lets not forget this is his first time out of "the wizard of Croz's" shadow so he should be plenty motivated plus theirs Sykora, and Staal , Christensen and Malone who all have the talent to step it and Gonchar on the blueline supported by Letang and Whitney and don't forget about 2 overacheiving goalies Conklin has been great and Sabourin followed suit Sat. Pittsburgh will slid you don't lose Crosby and not notice but there not in as bad of shape as Ottawa if they lose Malkin or Gonchar ontop of Crosby they are but not yet. The Pens are getting more consistent and better goaltending And with alfie and Heatly gone Spezza has no trigger men. The pens currently have more options on offence
PENSFAN8771 Posted - 01/21/2008 : 08:26:10
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned. This is not a fun injury and one that is easy to reaggravate down the line. So, I hope that he sits out until it is completely healed, even if that competitive fire that he has gives him an urge to comeback. The Penguins won't tank completely now, it's foolish to say that if you watch them play regularly. The have plenty of offensive spark and Malkin has been really excelling of late. Enough good things cannot be said about Ty Conklin either, take a look at the highlights and stats from last Monday's game against the Rangers (I was there and made a believer). The Penguins need to push forward and win a few hockey games over the next month or 2 to stay in the playoff race. So long as they get in (Which will happen), they'll be fine if their captain is back for the playoffs. In the meantime, he needs to be focused on not trying to force an early and dangerous comeback.
Antroman Posted - 01/20/2008 : 20:29:28
It reminds me of the Tiger Woods thing in golf. It's Tiger this and Tiger that. Sid this and Sid that. Enough said.
admin Posted - 01/20/2008 : 11:59:50
This forum is not a Crosby bashing thread. We have tons of them so please do it there. Let's stay on topic please. Thanks gang!
Guest8664 Posted - 01/20/2008 : 07:02:35
The pens will drop a bit, but often times teams that loose their biggest star will come together and play a better overall team game (case in point.. their 2-0 win in the first game without crosby). They still have some talented young guys...so it isn't completely over for them.

On a side note, as much as I don't like seeing any player get injured...I've seen crosby go down like that many times when taking a shot, so you knew something like this was coming eventually. Stay on your feet show boat....everyone remembers your goal where you purposely went on your knees and dived for the puck for no good reason.
Alex Posted - 01/20/2008 : 05:05:42
First of all, I only reply to forums made. Heatley's ews is just as big to me.

Second of all, let's face it, Dany Heatley is not as valuable to his team as Crosby. If Alfie was not injured last night would have been a blowout. When it rains, it pours.

Third of all, you have to look at the circumstances. Pittsburgh was making a good push to get far when their captain gets injured. The guy who gets the most votes for the All Star game is out. You got to think that that is news. The guy drafterd first overall in most pools is out. You go to think that that is news.

And as to game of the night: the Pens shutout the Habs, 4th vs. 5h, for their first win without Crosby. You got to think that that's news. In my mind, it was the game of the night.

Habs get number 25 this year
vanillagorilla Posted - 01/20/2008 : 04:41:53
i am due for some "sid space"....enuff already ....now i get a month of "sidless" hockey stuff....yeh....same stuff over and over....sid this, sid that....blah blah...yea, he is good, maybe the best....but even eating steak every single night would make you sick of it eventually....hockey will survive for a month without the little whiner.....dont get me wrong, still one of the best....but there are 600 other players who make this a league.....

happy 40th anniversary leaf lemmings
Guest8815 Posted - 01/19/2008 : 22:07:39
Another note.....

NHL.com is the biggest joke of all. I can't remember a Pittsburgh game that wasn't "Game of the Night", Tonight they are futured for winning without Crosby yet Backstrom's 4 point night gets pushed into the shadows and I bet nobody even knew he had gotten 4 tonihgt. But what you do know is that the Pens won. To me, I could care less. I bet the Pens would get "Game of the Night" even if they lost and would say something like "a dazzling performance by Crosby isn't enough to sink the Sharks". Hockey was better before this kid came.
Guest8815 Posted - 01/19/2008 : 22:01:27
Love this, Heatley goes down no one says s***. Just that's unfortunate for the Sens.... Crosby goes down, headlines every sports magazine, website, forum etc. And people start making speeches about it. There are other people in the league. No one was crediting Lecavalier for hsi accomplishments when he was sitting 1st in the league. Now Crosby has finally made it back to the top and people start praising him like a god. Some say Crosby is the face of the NHL. I think it is a bad thing, they may as well call it TCL, The Crosby League. All players get forgotten even the stars, This is a league not a single player. Now I was hoping that with this injury Crosby would be moved out of the spotlight and other players would be brought back in, I was sadly mistaken. People open your eyes, Think of other players other than Crosby.
Timay Posted - 01/19/2008 : 20:09:21
Last week I traded Crosby in a deal that got me Brodeur.
Whew... thank god that worked out for me.

Phaneuf pher Norris
OILINONTARIO Posted - 01/19/2008 : 15:59:54
What I heard is that 4 to 6 is a minimum. If I had first pick in my pool, I would have picked Cros. Glad I got Kovalchuk.

The Oil WILL make the playoffs.
Guest7110 Posted - 01/19/2008 : 15:30:11
the penguins are going to dive just like my hockey pool is, i'm really banking on him faking and coming back after like a week or so
admin Posted - 01/19/2008 : 14:34:50
A little more info on Crosby's injury...
http://www.pickuphockey.com/hockeynews.aspx?article=7009769162

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page