Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey History
 Worst Trades Ever!

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
hkalirah Posted - 01/15/2008 : 10:01:39
With the trade deadline fast approaching, I got to thinking about trades made in years past.

I realized that while most trades make sense for all parties involved, however there have been some pretty lopsided ones over the years.

The first one that comes to mind is Ottawa trading Alexei Yashin to the Islanders for Zdeno Chara, Bill Muckalt, & their 2001 1st round pick (Jason Spezza).

Imagine where the Islanders would be with both Chara and Spezza in their lineup?

Go Wings Go!
40   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Guest4626 Posted - 10/19/2010 : 19:07:25
Yes Draper did get traded from winnipeg to detroit for a buck, Im from winnipeg and my dad talks about it all the time
Guest6941 Posted - 10/18/2010 : 19:39:52
no question, the top three worst trades are, in order:

1. chicago trades PHIL ESPOSITO, FRED STANFIELD and KEN HODGE to boston for PIT MARTIN, JACK NORRIS AND GILL MAROTTE. . .

2. vancouver trades CAM NEELY to boston for BARRY PEDERSON and a 1st round pick (GLEN WESLEY). . .

3. philadelphia trade CHRIS SIMON, MIKE RICCI, KERRY HUFFMAN, RON HEXTALL, STEVE DUSCHESNE, PETER FORSBERG and 1st round pick 1993 (ADAM DEADMARSH), 1st round pick 1994 (WADE BELAK), future considerations and cash to the Quebec Nordiques for ERIC LINDROS
Guest5419 Posted - 10/18/2010 : 16:46:26
quote:
A good trade for Toronto would be getting Mats Sundin and Garth Butcher for Wendel Clark, Todd Warriner and Slyvain Lefebre.

Only one in a never ending series of awfull trade made by colorado:(
I love the AV's but I really hate the direction, they took an awesome team and traded it to the ground, then kept trading until they were miles under ground, hopefully the youngsters they got now can lift it back to ground level.....if they dont go and trade Duchesne,Statsny, Stewart, Anderson and Yip for some limp noodle which is what they will probably do.
Beans15 Posted - 11/17/2008 : 15:10:19
You know what is really interesting about this, the difference between the best trade and the worst trade is perspective and nothing else. To some, the trade for Gretzky for cash and a couple of pylons was the worst ever. To me, it was absolute genius!

The best trades ever to me are the ones where no one really loses or wins, but both teams improve. They are very rare, but they do happen. I think of one that some might disagree with is Thornton for Sturm, Stuart and Primeau. Primeau and Stuart were then traded to Calgary for Kobasew and Ferrance. So, the Sharks received a superstar and Boston received 3 quality players that ultimately are as productive as Thorton (combined) and fill 3 roster spots for virtually the same money as Thornton is getting. This gave Boston the opportunity to use money for other players.In the end, I don't think either team won or lost that trade. Both effectively achieved what they intented to and both teams are better for it.

The other thing that is interesting is that most often, a trade can not be evaluted based on the specific players involved as much as they can be view by what the team does with them. For example, most people would think that the Oilers got hosed when Pronger demanded a trade. However, looking back effective the Oilers traded Eric Brewer, Jeff Woyitka, and Doug Lynch for Pronger. The Oilers then trade Pronger for Joffery Lupul, Ladislav Smid, 2-1st round picks, and a 2nd round pick. Then, the Oilers trade Lupul and Jason Smith for for PItkanen and Sanderson. Then Pitkanen for Erik Cole. So, in the end, the Oilers parlayed Eric Brewer, Jason Smith, and 2 guys who will never see any kind of NHL ice surface unless they are driving the zamboni, for Erik Cole, Ladislav Smid, 2-1st round and a 2nd round draft pick.

How bad is that trade now??? Looks pretty good to me.
MSC Posted - 11/17/2008 : 14:25:40
For starters the Indianapolis Racers trading Gretzkey and two other players for cash in 1978 has to be up there.

Montreal traded Robert Picard for Winnipeg's third round pick in 1984...the pick turned into Pat Roy.

Toronto traded their 1989 first round pick to the Devils for Tom Kurvers....the pick turned into Scott Neidermeyer.

the Ilanders sent Luongo and Jokinen to Florida for Mark Parrish and Oleg Kvasha

Not a trade BUT the Flames placed St. Louis on waivers and was then picked up by the Bolts.

Any trade involving Jagr.

Guest6503 Posted - 11/17/2008 : 14:07:48
I think the Toronto trade to get Sundin and Butcher was one of the worst trades made by the leafs. But there is alot of those i guess
Guest5447 Posted - 11/16/2008 : 18:40:36
Rob Ramage and Rick Wamsley to Calgary for Brett Hull and Steve Bozek. The following 6 years after the trade Hull puts up 360+ goals, Hart and a Pearson. Don't recall Bozek ever achieving much.

Wamsley backed up Vernon fo Flames Stanley cup. Ramage would be at best a journeyman defender.
Guest9250 Posted - 11/16/2008 : 11:16:56
[b]This was one of the worst trades I have ever seen....On March 5, 2003 the San Jose Sharks traded Owen Nolan to the Toronto Maple Leafs for Alyn McCauley Brad Boyes and a 1st round draft choice in 2003...The first round draft choice, 16th overall in 2003 was used by the San Jose Sharks to select 6'2" 233 lb power forward Steve Bernier. It's very hard to watch Boyes play so well now [/b]
Guest4644 Posted - 11/16/2008 : 10:11:59
K now we are just repeating trades that were already mentioned.

This one was mentioned but not in detail:

In the 1997-98 season, the Islanders Todd Bertuzzi was packaged with Bryan McCabe to the Vancouver Canucks in exchange for Trevor Linden and a third round draft choice in 1998 (Jarkko Ruutu).

On November 10, 2001, the Capitals traded Linden (who was traded from the Islanders to the Habs, then to the Capitals) with a second round draft pick in either 2002 or 2003 (Denis Grot) to the Canucks for their first round pick in 2002 (Boyd Gordon) and a third round pick in 2003.

The Islanders are the Pawn Shop of the NHL lol...
Guest5271 Posted - 11/16/2008 : 09:59:11
Naslund to vancouver, Stojanov to Pittsburgh.

Pretty bad trade.

At the time it looked OK but how about the Hartford/Pittsburgh deal in 90? Cullen was the man then but look at Pittsburghs return in Francis.
Guest1759 Posted - 11/16/2008 : 06:09:16
August 9, 1988 – Wayne Gretzky traded by the Edmonton Oilers, along with Mike Krushelnyski and Marty McSorley, to the Los Angeles Kings in exchange for Jimmy Carson, Martin Gelinas, Los Angeles's 1989, 1991, and 1993 first round draft choices, and cash.

The Rest of Gretzky's career:

311 Goals
877 Assists
1188 points

To put 1188 points into perspective would put him ahead of Teemu Selanne’s career total of 1176.

Lemieux during the same period had

398 goals
580 assists
978 points

If asked you who the two best players were during that time you'd say Gretzky and Lemieux.....don't lie! Yes I know Lemieux had cancer, retired, had a bad back but I can't help any of that.

FYI Gelinas went on to score 660 career points total, Carson had 561 points career total. The draft pick ended up being Jason miller, Martin Rucinsky (612 points) and nick Stajduhar.

Don't forget that LA also got McSorely (3381 PIM) a good 20 points per year d-man and Krushelnyski had 699 points!

I went nuts and gave you the career totals but if I focussed only on the first 4 years after the trade:

168, 142,163, 121 points each year respectively! Come on! 594 points is about as good as any of the other guys involved had their entire careers let alone 4 years!

The impact was huge. If they had a goalie in LA they would have won cups but the truth is Hrudy sucked, hard.

Give me the best forward all time for the best trade all time!
habsfanforlife Posted - 04/12/2008 : 12:07:54
quote:
Originally posted by Alex

I couldn't find the story ... maybe want to copy and paste it? It could be that I am a sped. reader

Habs get number 25 this year

Only 15 more to go....

Go Habs Go!
habsfanforlife Posted - 04/12/2008 : 12:06:13
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Chris Chelios for a washed up Denis Savard trade in 1990. It was one of the biggest bonehead trades in a line line by Serge Savard and Ronald Corey. Rumour was Chelios was banging Corey's wife so they wanted him out of Montreal and fast.
99pickles Posted - 03/06/2008 : 23:30:55
What about that 10 player deal between Calgary and Toronto back in the early nineties. Toronto got Gilmour, Macoun, Godynuk, Walmsley, and Manderville (I think) for Leeman, Reese, Petit and that's all I can remember. I couldn't believe it. It was as bad a trade as you would see in fantasy hockey where one guy is giving up.

Many of those other terrible trades involved draft picks that developed into major stars, or prospects that weren't figuring into their current teams' plans. But this one was outright egregious the minute it was revealed. I will never forget it!
andyhack Posted - 03/04/2008 : 05:52:00
Here's one to think about:

The 1975-1976 season has ended. The Bruins trade once high scoring winger, Ken Hodge, to the Rangers for the then underperforming Rick Middleton.

From 1976 on Middleton put up a couple of 100 point seasons, three ninety point seasons and some other good seasons, and Cherry even got him to play well defensively.

Hodge? Well here's what they say at Legends of Hockey,

"That trade proved to be one of the most lopsided in NHL history. Hodge played just 96 more games in the NHL, while the Bruins received a young Rick Middleton, who would star with the team for over a decade to come."

Here are the 96 games:

1976-77 New York Rangers NHL 78 21 41 62
1977-78 New York Rangers NHL 18 2 4 6

Say what you will about Harry Sinden later on (and there is room for criticism), he has three or four absolutely brilliant moves on his resume.
hkalirah Posted - 01/28/2008 : 09:28:01
Drafted 62nd overall in the 1989 Draft by the Winnipeg Jets, Draper did not see much action in his early years. He is a rarity in that he played in the AHL and NHL before playing junior in the Ontario Hockey League. After playing just 20 games in the 4 seasons since he was drafted, he was traded to Detroit in 1993 for a dollar. Draper would quickly become a valuable fixture in Detroit's rotation.

Go Wings Go!
Alex Posted - 01/27/2008 : 11:17:01
I couldn't find the story ... maybe want to copy and paste it? It could be that I am a sped. reader

hkalirah Posted - 01/27/2008 : 11:10:18
Well I remember reading about Draper a few years ago, can't remember where. But the story is also on his Wikipedia page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kris_Draper

Go Wings Go!
nashvillepreds Posted - 01/27/2008 : 10:09:12
I find that really insulting, who in their right mind would be happy to be traded for a dollar or a suit?

Ellis or Mason?

Go Preds Go!
Guest8815 Posted - 01/26/2008 : 16:05:08
Also Cy Young, To all you baseball fans. Was traded for a SUIT! Arguably the best pitcher ever to pitch was trade for a measly suit.
Alex Posted - 01/26/2008 : 15:46:45
quote:
Originally posted by hkalirah

I just thought of another one. In 1993, the Winnipeg Jets traded Kris Draper to Detroit for $1. Yes, One dollar.

A couple more years and Draper will have played 1000 games, won an olympic gold medal, and became one of the best penalty killers in the league.

Go Wings Go!

You have to give me the link to that story! Guys I don't know why that is so surprising considering Manhattan was handed over from the Natives for a couple of bracelets...

spade632 Posted - 01/26/2008 : 14:07:39
Patrick Roy's trade to Colorado has to be one of the most lopsided trades ever.

And just to put it out there, what does everyone think of the Great One's original trade back in 1989?

TO LA:
Gretzky
McSorley
Krushelnyski

To the Oil:

Jimmy Carson
Martin Gélinas
three first round draft picks
1989 - Jason Soules
1991 - Tyler Wright / Martin Rucinsky
1993 - Jason Arnott / Nick Stajduhar
and cash (15$ million)

* two names for 91 and 93 since I'm not sure which pick was originally LA's.
nashvillepreds Posted - 01/26/2008 : 12:20:15
Are you kidding, 1 dollar?

Ellis or Mason?

Go Preds Go!
hkalirah Posted - 01/26/2008 : 10:38:56
I just thought of another one. In 1993, the Winnipeg Jets traded Kris Draper to Detroit for $1. Yes, One dollar.

A couple more years and Draper will have played 1000 games, won an olympic gold medal, and became one of the best penalty killers in the league.

Go Wings Go!
CaliforniaSeal Posted - 01/19/2008 : 12:40:22
What about Ottawa getting Christpher Olsson when they traded away Pavel Demitra.

No cup for Dino, what a shame
Devils Fanatic Posted - 01/18/2008 : 16:13:09
Jagr to the Ranger for Anson Carter.

Though Jagr really didn't want to stay in Washinton.

Devils fan since the 85-86 season
Guest9925 Posted - 01/18/2008 : 13:31:06
1. Desjardins, LeClair and Dionne (Montreal) for Recchi and a 3rd
Round pick (Philly)
2. Hasek (Chicago) for minor league goalie and late pick (Buffalo)
3. Thornton (Boston) to San Jose for Sturm, Primeau and Stuart (San
Jose)

But the shrewdest of them all....Sam Pollock trading Ralph Backstrom to LA to ensure LA would not finish last overall, and assuring the Habs they would get Guy Lafleur with Oakland's first pick.
Guest4912 Posted - 01/18/2008 : 11:50:55
i know it was a great day when he left i celebrated more than anyone but im just saying maybe the media shouldnt of made such a big deal about it then he wasent that old he was pretty new yet he just had to find his legs i think
cannella10 Posted - 01/18/2008 : 09:06:27
New York Islanders traded Olli Jokien and Roberto Luongo to the Florida Panthers for Mark Parrish and Oleg Kvasha. i think thats one of the more lop sided trades......even though luongo is in vancouver at that time he was a highly rated goalie and right now oli is the captain and has had numerous strong seasons.....i say thats one of the worst trades ....for new york lol
Antroman Posted - 01/17/2008 : 21:13:44
Ah yes, forgot about the draft pick that turned into Wesley. I had Barry Pederson on my pool team at one time. Yes, he was avery good player at one time but the wheels definitely fell off and I think Harry Sinden must have had a cyrstal ball or something? His real interest was probably the draft pick and low and behold Cam Neely turned into a Hall Of Famer!!!!!
Guest8541 Posted - 01/17/2008 : 19:15:25
correction. barry pederson for cam neely and a draft pick- glen wesley
andyhack Posted - 01/17/2008 : 18:20:37
quote:
Originally posted by Antroman

Barry Pederson from Boston to Vancouver for Cam Heely...OUCH!!!

The thing about this trade that makes it so smart is that Barry Pederson actually was a VERY GOOD player.

Guys, read this, particularly the part about Pederson being on par with those HHOFers in the early part of his career. He's a pretty interesting story actually.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Pederson

Back to my point. You have to give Sinden A LOT of credit on this one. Bs fans actually weren't too happy about this trade. I remember, as a big Bs fans myself (did you know that about me?), a lot of us were hoping Barry could refind his pre-illness form, and we were actually not so keen on Neely after his so-so start in Vancouver. I don't know if it is the most lopsided trade ever, but it ranks very high in terms of both smarts and guts.
Alex Posted - 01/17/2008 : 16:43:43
Well as much as I hate to say it, Dallas did the right thing. They might have had some better teams, no question, but from a hockey sense, they haven't been bad since 2000.

And I dont think we realize how much it does to win a cup in Texas where there is not such a big market. You should hear Ron Francis speak on the aftermath of their (Carolina) cup run in 03 versus that of the cup in 06.

Going far and not winning it all does not come close to winning it all. It is a whole new level.

Sure, the Stars may have won two times by now. But they wanted to cash in then, they wanted to keep the market fresh, and they did. I think it was smart in every way other than from a hindsight perspective which GMs do not have.

OILINONTARIO Posted - 01/17/2008 : 16:22:08
quote:
Originally posted by Alex

Guys do me a favour and stop with the codes. I'm ignorant, sue me!

Who is number 12?

Ja Rome is the boy we're talking about.

The Oil WILL make the playoffs.
Guest9722 Posted - 01/17/2008 : 15:11:39
Vancouver has made some noteworthy lopsided trades as mentioned above (Luongo-Bertuzzi, and Pederson-Neely) but also the following doozy:

From Pittsburgh, Markus Naslund for Alek Stojanov
Alex Posted - 01/17/2008 : 15:03:46
Guys do me a favour and stop with the codes. I'm ignorant, sue me!

Who is number 12?

hkalirah Posted - 01/17/2008 : 14:50:29
Short term I'd say yes, long term you're right, no....How many more cups would they have won with #12?

Go Wings Go!
OILINONTARIO Posted - 01/17/2008 : 14:39:03
One of the most interesting trades that have occurred in the recent past was the one that sent Joe Nieuwendyk to the Dallas Stars. They made the decision that short-term gain was at least equal to long-term potential. And it worked! They won the cup that year! Was it worth it, though,for what they gave up?

The Oil WILL make the playoffs.
Antroman Posted - 01/17/2008 : 14:25:11
Barry Pederson from Boston to Vancouver for Cam Heely...OUCH!!!
Beans15 Posted - 01/17/2008 : 13:30:48
Conklin?? Seriously?? The same Conklin who had 30 wins in the previous 5 seasons combined?? The same guy who has play more games in the AHL than the NHL in those 5 years?? The same guy who given up on by 3 other teams before he gets hot with the Pens??

Conklin was a complete waste in Edmonton. It was a good day when he left the Oilers.

Wayne or Bobby?? How about both!!!

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page