Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference - Atlantic Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Montreal
 Carey Price- over or under rated?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Leafsfan_94 Posted - 04/19/2008 : 20:01:57
** vote and debate upon**

ok well all know everyone is saying things like ''carey price is the future'' well i'm not saying hes not good but after watching the bruins habs game tonight and the one two nights ago. he las let in 10 goals in 2 games. i know no goaltender can be perfect but later in his career he wont be as good as everybody says he will. why?. because the habs put all this pressure on him early in the year. with all this talk about him being number 1. and then they trade huet and make him the number 1 goalie for the rest of the season and the playoffs. i think the smart thing for montreal to do is get a veteran goaltender...who doesnt suck like paris hilton. and make halak backup put price in the minors for a 1+ year and see how he does and then talk about him being the future if what the habs have done hasnt already killed his bright year

and yes that is a very long poll question

Leafsfan_94

I HATE YOU HABS!

40   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Odin Posted - 11/17/2009 : 12:37:01
Don't forget, he is only going into his 3rd season. From what I have seen, he has his confidence back, and outside of the amped up media coverage there (they never blow anything out of proportion), he will fine as long as he keeps working. I hope he doesn't read the papers!

Halak scares me a little. He is good, but seems to have a short shelf-life. Whenever he goes into his 4th or 5th game, he has a meltdown.
Alex116 Posted - 11/17/2009 : 12:27:47
Odin, yeah, he's had some nice games thus far. The thing with him is this. There're some goalies who can thrive in a market like Montreal. Others struggle, especially at that young age. I'd like to think they'd stick with him and he'd mature into the goalie they expected him to be but who knows? It's possible that a change of scenery is what he needs? Maybe playing in a city where there's less pressure would help? Maybe he matures and grows into the role in the pressure cooker that Montreal represents?

Regardless, i certainly think he's got a lot of good hockey left in him!
Odin Posted - 11/17/2009 : 09:22:02
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

I refuse to write this kid off just yet. It wasn't so long ago, he was in the conversation for Canada's goalie of the future. Those throwing words like that around aren't exactly "green" when it comes to evaluating talent.

I agree with Beans, too much too soon for the kid, especially in a market like Montreal!

Overrated, underrated? Tough call, he's obviously not yet lived up to the hype, but i'm one who would not give up on him just yet?

Alex,

you are right to not write off a 22 year old goalie yet. And considering that this is a position notorious for their late bloomers, that makes your choice even better.

Price has what? 5 or 6 40+ save games this year?
Alex116 Posted - 11/17/2009 : 00:10:17
I refuse to write this kid off just yet. It wasn't so long ago, he was in the conversation for Canada's goalie of the future. Those throwing words like that around aren't exactly "green" when it comes to evaluating talent.

I agree with Beans, too much too soon for the kid, especially in a market like Montreal!

Overrated, underrated? Tough call, he's obviously not yet lived up to the hype, but i'm one who would not give up on him just yet?
Guest0212 Posted - 11/16/2009 : 16:06:34
one qualifier to the last statement I'm not comparing Halak's ability as a goalie to Halladay's as a pitcher, just the situation.
Guest0212 Posted - 11/16/2009 : 16:05:41
I agree, to post an odd comparison, it's like Halladay and the Jays... how does a pitcher throw 3+ complete game losses a year, that's ridiculous. No run support those days...
Beans15 Posted - 11/16/2009 : 14:31:32
I don't know. 53 saves the other night, matching a 100 year old clubs franchise record???

I think he has the skills, I think he has the head, but I think he might have been brought in too soon. A year or two in the AHL would have been gold.

I also think his team (much like any goalie playing for TO these days) does NOTHING to support him. I wonder if it's something in the dressing room?? The Hab seem to play well for Halak and then disappear for Price???
Tiller33 Posted - 11/16/2009 : 13:40:49
way over rated welcome to justin pogge land habs fans
Seventy7Fifty2 Posted - 06/03/2009 : 10:29:52
[/quote]

Ever heard of a guy named Steve Mason? Jw. He seems to be doing just fine, with the pressure of taking his team to the playoffs for the first time ever (granted they got swept and the pressure there is no where near Montreal's in the 100th year). Hopefully Price can bounce back from this season, he is a promising young goalie for sure. Price was over-rated last season, i dont understand how anyone can deny that. However, one day he may live up to the hype.

I Promise I didn't give her the STD, I'm not a sharing person.
[/quote]

Steve Mason did not start the season knowing he was #1 - he had nothing to loose when he was put in, and played amazingly.
Price started the season with a TON of pressure as almost a "controversial" #1, if not "the" #1.
Completely different situation than Mason's.
Wait and see if Mason will crack next year if he is slated as #1...?
So, NO - Price is not and was not over-rated.
Guest2622 Posted - 06/03/2009 : 09:22:54
there is now talk that the Habs are going after Francois Allaire as their new goaltending coach. If they land him, that is the best thing that could happen to Price.
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 06/02/2009 : 16:32:18
Did you watch the final game where Roy threw his stick and sat on the bench in the middle of the game. He was boo'd by the crowd the whole game and his team gave up on him. It was embarrasing, especially in hindsight knowing he carried on to his second franchise and continued his winning ways becoming 1 - 3rd all time goalie ever.

Price is a good goalie who will be wasted in this Montreal market. They gotta move him or put a solid team on the ice or they will embarras this kid.
Porkchop73 Posted - 06/02/2009 : 04:50:46
Lets not forget the pressure on a goaltender in a market like Montreal. There was a ton of pressure for Price to back up his stellar play last year and take the Habs to the cup in their centennial year. I think that may have been too much for him especially in Montreal, the fans there are probably harder on their players then anywhere else.
I remember a goaltender who played in Montreal and finally the pressure got to him, he was pretty good too. I am trying to remember......oh ya it was a guy by the name of Patrick Roy or ST. Patrick as he was known in Montreal.
Have some patience with the kid, Price should turn out fine.
Thrasher Posted - 06/01/2009 : 20:00:52
quote:
Originally posted by Seventy7Fifty2

quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Roberts85

Price did have good numbers at the all star break but they weren't better than guys like Henrik Lundqvist or Tim Thomas.

In the hockey world, going from first to BARLEY a playoff team in 1 season is pretty much overnight.. same thing happened to Ottawa the year before. And Buffalo as well lol.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".

Agree - Henrik and Tim's numbers were good too... but they are not 20 years old carrying these numbers, are they. They're veterans putting up numbers expected of them.
So "" YES "" Price was #1 at the all star break and NOT overrated at that time either.
Where are Tim and Henrik now? AND I'm sure their defence is much stronger the Price's was.
So "" YES "" Price is NOT over-rated at this point of time either!
Why don't we compare Price to other 20 year-olds currently in the NHL as #1 on their team?
Wait ... I don't think there are any.... so Price is under-rated???

Of course Price is the future, he's only starting. Look at Fleury - he started very young and was questionable as Pens "future"... where is HE now?
Finally - I cann't leave without a shot at leafs:
Poggie is a young goalie too...? where is HE???
I guess this helps confirm again that Price is NOT over-rated.

Ever heard of a guy named Steve Mason? Jw. He seems to be doing just fine, with the pressure of taking his team to the playoffs for the first time ever (granted they got swept and the pressure there is no where near Montreal's in the 100th year). Hopefully Price can bounce back from this season, he is a promising young goalie for sure. Price was over-rated last season, i dont understand how anyone can deny that. However, one day he may live up to the hype.

I Promise I didn't give her the STD, I'm not a sharing person.
Seventy7Fifty2 Posted - 06/01/2009 : 08:32:57
quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Roberts85

Price did have good numbers at the all star break but they weren't better than guys like Henrik Lundqvist or Tim Thomas.

In the hockey world, going from first to BARLEY a playoff team in 1 season is pretty much overnight.. same thing happened to Ottawa the year before. And Buffalo as well lol.

Agree - Henrik and Tim's numbers were good too... but they are not 20 years old carrying these numbers, are they. They're veterans putting up numbers expected of them.
So "" YES "" Price was #1 at the all star break and NOT overrated at that time either.
Where are Tim and Henrik now? AND I'm sure their defence is much stronger the Price's was.
So "" YES "" Price is NOT over-rated at this point of time either!
Why don't we compare Price to other 20 year-olds currently in the NHL as #1 on their team?
Wait ... I don't think there are any.... so Price is under-rated???

Of course Price is the future, he's only starting. Look at Fleury - he started very young and was questionable as Pens "future"... where is HE now?
Finally - I cann't leave without a shot at leafs:
Poggie is a young goalie too...? where is HE???
I guess this helps confirm again that Price is NOT over-rated.
Matt_Roberts85 Posted - 05/29/2009 : 13:25:20

Guest2622 Posted - 05/29/2009 : 10:56:18
quote:
Originally posted by Rambo2305

quote:
Originally posted by MSC

You don't become crap overnight? Ask any Red Sox fan how they feel about David Ortiz right now.

You can become crap overnight...for proof, look at the entire Habs team, 1st place to barely, barely making the playoffs. Went from good, to crap :)

As for Price, overrated, no way in hell he should have been the all-star starter.

MSC, I'll only say one thing about Papi, another prime example of becoming crap overnight, but funny that he has one of his worst starts once the "Manny steriod fiasco" comes up? wink-wink... lol

"Most people spend time and energy going around problems, rather than trying to solve them" - Henry Ford

Umm, Rambo, that wasn't overnight, that was over a season. And they still did better than your Leafs. As for Price, at that point he had some of the best numbers, so he absolutely deserved to be the starter. Goddam people have extremely short and selective memories!

Oh right! Sorry! Leafs fans, I guess you have no choice.
Rambo2305 Posted - 05/29/2009 : 06:32:56
quote:
Originally posted by MSC

You don't become crap overnight? Ask any Red Sox fan how they feel about David Ortiz right now.

You can become crap overnight...for proof, look at the entire Habs team, 1st place to barely, barely making the playoffs. Went from good, to crap :)

As for Price, overrated, no way in hell he should have been the all-star starter.

MSC, I'll only say one thing about Papi, another prime example of becoming crap overnight, but funny that he has one of his worst starts once the "Manny steriod fiasco" comes up? wink-wink... lol

"Most people spend time and energy going around problems, rather than trying to solve them" - Henry Ford
MSC Posted - 05/28/2009 : 10:36:39
Guest8143 Posted - 05/28/2009 : 10:35:41
quote:

I think he came back too soon to take part in the allstar festivities, even in the young-guns game he didn't look right. You don't become crap overnight.

How else could Luke Schenn dangle his ass in the youngstars game lol
Guest0192 Posted - 05/28/2009 : 10:16:06
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

Actually, that whole Montreal team was overhyped, not Just Price. Was it a mistake to get rid of Huet, Yes. Should have signed him to a journeyman contract and peddled Halak. If I was going to pick a player underrated on that team I would say it was Halak. Now they wont get what they could have for Halak after that horrible second half of the season.

It was no mistake getting rid of Huet, a UFA, who the Habs would have lost for nothing anyway. There is no way in the world they match what Chicago overpaid for him to be an insanely expensive backup. People seem to forget that he himself could be pretty inconsistent and was prone to the garbage goal. He has never won a playoff series.

Price was 16-4-5 with a 2.30 GAA before he injured his ankle. I think he came back too soon to take part in the allstar festivities, even in the young-guns game he didn't look right. You don't become crap overnight.
hockster Posted - 05/27/2009 : 15:41:59
One word: Inconsistent

Iginla for 2010 team captain.
Flames for cup...eventually.
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 05/27/2009 : 10:52:21
Actually, that whole Montreal team was overhyped, not Just Price. Was it a mistake to get rid of Huet, Yes. Should have signed him to a journeyman contract and peddled Halak. If I was going to pick a player underrated on that team I would say it was Halak. Now they wont get what they could have for Halak after that horrible second half of the season.
hanley6 Posted - 05/26/2009 : 20:41:30
Price has proven this year that he is very overrated.. Alot like Toskala, Price gives up to easily, doesn't try and allows way too many easy goals... Halak was the better Habs goalie by far. I think Halak is underrated and Price is OVERRATED
Axey Posted - 05/26/2009 : 20:08:47
quote:
Originally posted by bmasella

there are many pics of him on the internet smoking and partying

he would b twice the player if he was disciplined

Eat, Sleep, Play Hockey

I agree, he has to get his focus back and forget about the non-sense and stop being so hard on himself.
bmasella Posted - 05/26/2009 : 19:27:55
there are many pics of him on the internet smoking and partying

he would b twice the player if he was disciplined

Eat, Sleep, Play Hockey
Guest4381 Posted - 10/17/2008 : 04:59:08
leafs fan94, all your posts are rediculous. you have quite a mouth for a 14 year old. where's pogge this season? oh yeah, in the minors. where will pogge be next season? oh yeah, in the minors!
Leafsfan_94 Posted - 06/04/2008 : 16:43:40
i know we dont really know yet how he will turn out but i meant for what we have seen so far

Leafsfan_94

fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 06/04/2008 : 15:54:20
Way too early to judge. Let the kid play a full season as the starter and get some experience. He is playing the toughest position, in the most judgmental media market, in the most judgmental hockey city in the world, period.
I think being thrown in the way he was, he did fantastic. To ask him to be another Dryden, or Roy, and come in young and carry the team through the playoffs, was a bad call by Gainey, but, I think it may be a different story next season. He is one of the most poised, positional goaltenders in the league right now, and can only get better. He has seen the kind of pressure that playing in Montreal brings and it can only help him.

Underrated? Overrated? ask this next year at this time and it may a different story.
Pasty7 Posted - 06/03/2008 : 16:57:58
quote:
Originally posted by Axey

quote:
Originally posted by Guest2816

Carey Price is overated for the simple reason Gainey went and put all his eggs in one basket and if you really study Price you will clearly see that he picks up the puck very well when he sees it but becomes confused and reacts too quickly when the shots come blind.
If you want to hear some real hogwash just listen to RDS the french channel.They have an entire list of ready made excuses whenever Price makes a bad move.A few games ago when Price dropped the puck in front of him in his own crease,the RDS announcer said it was the Montreal player who asked for it.

Every time you bang the Canadiens you can clearly see them run.Hit them hard on the boards and you win.Its that simple

Pa-lease ... watch some more games, drop your bias. Even Don Cherry loves the guy and he HATES the Habs.

first off i'm from quebec half french Canadian aswell i watch all my games on rds and guest is 100% right themake excuses for all of prices' mistakes,,, and yess he makes quite a few and every little save you'd think he pulled a fleury last night,,, as soon as price was in the pictured they bashed huet (even though huet got us where we were this season and noone seems to want to acknowledge it) price is overated he is good,, this is forsure,, number 1 goalie good you bet you cap on it,, top 15 in the league good not even close,,,, good enough to ride into the playoffs,, not even close he proved it by only showing up to two games and if you argue that he played any better then decent in more then 2 games these playoffs it is you my friend who should start paying attention to the games,,, and not the media,,, price is good not god and not ready,,, the kid is the next brodeur maybe but he'll never be st patrick!

Pasty
Axey Posted - 04/27/2008 : 17:32:43
quote:

Carey Price is overated for the simple reason Gainey went and put all his eggs in one basket and if you really study Price you will clearly see that he picks up the puck very well when he sees it but becomes confused and reacts too quickly when the shots come blind.
If you want to hear some real hogwash just listen to RDS the french channel.They have an entire list of ready made excuses whenever Price makes a bad move.A few games ago when Price dropped the puck in front of him in his own crease,the RDS announcer said it was the Montreal player who asked for it.

Every time you bang the Canadiens you can clearly see them run.Hit them hard on the boards and you win.Its that simple

Pa-lease ... watch some more games, drop your bias. Even Don Cherry loves the guy and he HATES the Habs.
Gostarsgo12 Posted - 04/27/2008 : 15:01:35
I was hesitating replying to anything " Justin Pogge related " on the forums because I did get this informaton from crazy friends of mine who happen to know Justin and they say that the guy is a party animal and his attitude is somewhat out of sort. I was surprised to hear that out of there mouths as he didn't look like a lunatic when I've seen his interviews when he was a star for Canada at the World Jr's. So this is coming out of the mouths of my friends so this could be complete bs lol
some friend I'am but anyway not good for Leaf fans it looks like this guy could be a Ray Emery.

Go Stars!!!
Leafsfan_94 Posted - 04/26/2008 : 14:52:58
i love this guy..dude get yourself an account!

quote:

Leafsfan_94

I HATE YOU HABS!

Guest2816 Posted - 04/26/2008 : 13:11:52

Leafsfan_94 Posted - 04/26/2008 : 09:41:00
accidental i was only trying to highlight the guest's post

quote:
Originally posted by Leafs Rock Planet

Then why did you highlite my post in your rampage? You responded to my first post of how this poll doesnt make sense. I dont understand?

Leafsfan_94

I HATE YOU HABS!

Leafs Rock Planet Posted - 04/26/2008 : 09:07:38
Then why did you highlite my post in your rampage? You responded to my first post of how this poll doesnt make sense. I dont understand?

Leafsfan_94 Posted - 04/26/2008 : 09:01:32
the uhh leafs fan 94 you wish you had a good goalie like carey price on your team, and if you dont your just being a hypocryte

Leafsfan_94

I HATE YOU HABS!

Leafsfan_94 Posted - 04/26/2008 : 08:33:03
LRP all of your opinions isnt what made me mad its what he said

quote:
Originally posted by Guest6943

leafs fan 94, you wish you ha a goalie like Carey Price in your line-up, if you say no then your just being a hypocrite.
Go Habs Go

quote:
Originally posted by Leafsfan_94

doesnt make sense?

im just asking peoples opinions on if they think price is over or under rated this year

quote:

I cant seem to grasp the overall idea of this poll.

We have seen what he can do and he has shown that he can be a great goalie. But, he hasnt proven himself yet to be underated or overated. I cant explain it. This poll just doesnt make sense.

Leafsfan_94

I HATE YOU HABS!

Leafsfan_94

I HATE YOU HABS!

Guest6496 Posted - 04/26/2008 : 07:09:25
There is opinion. Then there is facts and falsehoods

Opinions are just fine. Backing those opinions up with malarkey is not. Don't get angry if folks point out where you say stuff that is just plain wrong

As for the opinion. Price is clearly the number 1 and doing fine. What Pogge has to do with anything is just weird. He is just another guy who plays goal, was drafted, and played at the WJC. That's it. If the Leafs thought he was anywhere near ready, they wouldn't be trading to get Raycroft and Toskala

Leafs Rock Planet Posted - 04/26/2008 : 04:51:57
Wow Lf94 I really think you dont understand the concept of a debate topic.

Just like you said, you are just stating your opinion. Well guess what, people like me were just stating our opinions aswell. I dont know if this is the first time anybody has ever disagreed with you(hard to believe) but you have to learn how to debate something and not just listen to your own info, but others also.

NO need to get personal with the insults. We are simply talking about hockey.

Leafsfan_94 Posted - 04/25/2008 : 21:01:50
i never f***in said i never wanted a goalie like price. i just dont want him to be a number 1. cant i have my own god damn f***in opinion or every time i say sometihn everyone gets pissed off.

so f*** u all then if your gunna be f**s.

quote:
Originally posted by Guest6943

leafs fan 94, you wish you ha a goalie like Carey Price in your line-up, if you say no then your just being a hypocrite.
Go Habs Go

quote:
Originally posted by Leafsfan_94

doesnt make sense?

im just asking peoples opinions on if they think price is over or under rated this year

quote:

I cant seem to grasp the overall idea of this poll.

We have seen what he can do and he has shown that he can be a great goalie. But, he hasnt proven himself yet to be underated or overated. I cant explain it. This poll just doesnt make sense.

Leafsfan_94

I HATE YOU HABS!

Leafsfan_94

I HATE YOU HABS!

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page