Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Calgary
 Flames in need of a second liner

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
hockster Posted - 07/04/2008 : 20:51:22
The flames second line is looking weak, i dont think that the line is proven.
Lombardi is the only second line quality player.
I Believe they need someone new and they should probubly pick him up in free agents.
Any ideas on who to get?
Or thoughts on their second line?
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
leigh Posted - 07/30/2008 : 15:34:54
that's exactly what I meant, they will dump/trade to make room for another person.
wyntyre Posted - 07/30/2008 : 15:27:57
I dunno about anymore "major" signings....we're already almost 2mill over the cap....Nilsson is done...but we still owe him $....Rhett...as much as I love his amazing hit on Bertuzzi 2 years ago...is done....but he's still got 2.5 left....I mean...we gotta dump people...Anders Eriksson can leave...in fact please do....and in all relaity...Adrian Aucoin has been a waste...kinda like Brad Stuart the year before last....no more old ass D!!!!...stick with Dion and Gio....young guys with upside....I can deal with Sarich (sometimes) as he's not being paid 4 mill like Adrian. ....here goes

Jerome Daymond Mike
Todd Matty Baby Bob
Curtis Dustin/Wayne David
Andre Craig Rene

of course we're dealing with Keenan here so that linup won't happen...but that's the forwards....as long as todd doesn't sulk like alex did...we should be ok....
leigh Posted - 07/20/2008 : 14:05:43
Hey Beans, I agree with you in that on paper the Flames look like they stepped back. This is ABSOLUTELY a riskier team! The upside potential however is bigger I think. I emphasize the word "potential". Therein lies the risk....

Incoming:
Bertuzzi, well we all know the risk with him; injuries, mental state, sometimes abrasive attitude, hot and cold, well publicized baggage. But if this can be his rebound season he's money (for next to nothing!) I think he's found his new home to be honest, and with a shot to play with Iginla, a player he likes and respects (and is publicly reciprocated) this could be what he needs.

Cammelleri's risk is that he is small. But he has shown that he can consistently put up over 50 points a season (on a crappy team) and has even posted an 80 point season only a season ago. So his potential upside is big.

Bourque? Well we'll see. Obviously good lineage here.

Glencross is a risk because he's stil unproven. But I do recall watching a few Oilers games last year and thinking he was a decent young guy. But like with Bourque, Glencross is an investment in the future.

Outgoing:
I was disappointed that Tanguay left but I think it had more to do with peronality conflicts than his efforts and numbers. I thought he performed reasonably well, not completely up to expectations though (just shy) I think if he had shot a few more times rather than pass, he'd still be a Flame. Fans will likely agree that there were a lot of times throughout the season that you jumped out of your chair and said "What the hell! Why didn't he shoot?" (look at the guy's shooting %, it's awesome!)

As for Huselius, I think this guy can be amazing and probably will be but his issue is confidence and he just wasn't going to find it under Keenan, so that sealed his fate.

Nolan, love the guy (ever since he called his shot against Hasek in the All-star game to complete his hat trick - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU0l4X1Uqfk ) but he is replacable and I think the Flames did just fine with Bertuzzi here.

One last thing, I think the Calgary Flames still have one more major signing before the season starts. I just don't think this team is done yet.
Pasty7 Posted - 07/20/2008 : 13:43:09
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I think Iginla played mostly with Sakic and Gagne at the Olympics.

And with all due respect to my opponents to the South, I think Calgary took a step back this season compared to last season in the scoring department.

Let's take a look at the comings and goings for Calgary.

Leaving:
Tanguay
Huselius
Nolan

Coming:
Cammellari
Bertuzzi
Glencross
Bourque

So, the way I see it is that Calgary lost three definate 2nd line players with any one of them at any time able to step into 1st line roles. What did they back fill with??? Two 2nd line players which may be able to take 1st line roles (very questionable) and 2 3rd line pluggers???

They dropped 3 players who put up 60 goals and 152 points last year and added 4 players that did not produce as much!

I see the offense for the Flames going the other way. I think they are going to be depending on Inginla and Lankow even more this season than ever before.

And as a side note, I want to go on record in saying that Sutter and Keenan will regret the trade of Tangauy and the pick up of Cammellari by the end of this season. Tanguay put up 139 points in 159 games for the Flames over two seasons and he was labelled as the problem and became the scapegoat. Cammalleri just last off season went to arbitration and expected something like $5 million a season from the Kings. The arbitrator ruled on the $3.5 ish that he got.

Mark my words, Tangauy puts up 80+ points this season, Cammalleri puts up 60 or less, AND Calgary will not resign Cammellari as he will expect $5+ million again.

It would be even nicer to see the Flames miss the playoffs(not likely, but a boy can dream) and that will even further solidify their mistake.

i agree but not only will tanguay be missed offensivly we're talking about a career plus player he has never once been a minus player,.. he strong in a three zones i sincerly doubt keenan as much of a coach if he doesn;t like this kind of player,, whats not to like,,, if he could hit he'd be a complete package,, but very few french canadians hit,,, btw i liked this deal why cuz im a habs fan

Pasty
Beans15 Posted - 07/20/2008 : 13:10:35
I think Iginla played mostly with Sakic and Gagne at the Olympics.

And with all due respect to my opponents to the South, I think Calgary took a step back this season compared to last season in the scoring department.

Let's take a look at the comings and goings for Calgary.

Leaving:
Tanguay
Huselius
Nolan

Coming:
Cammellari
Bertuzzi
Glencross
Bourque

So, the way I see it is that Calgary lost three definate 2nd line players with any one of them at any time able to step into 1st line roles. What did they back fill with??? Two 2nd line players which may be able to take 1st line roles (very questionable) and 2 3rd line pluggers???

They dropped 3 players who put up 60 goals and 152 points last year and added 4 players that did not produce as much!

I see the offense for the Flames going the other way. I think they are going to be depending on Inginla and Lankow even more this season than ever before.

And as a side note, I want to go on record in saying that Sutter and Keenan will regret the trade of Tangauy and the pick up of Cammellari by the end of this season. Tanguay put up 139 points in 159 games for the Flames over two seasons and he was labelled as the problem and became the scapegoat. Cammalleri just last off season went to arbitration and expected something like $5 million a season from the Kings. The arbitrator ruled on the $3.5 ish that he got.

Mark my words, Tangauy puts up 80+ points this season, Cammalleri puts up 60 or less, AND Calgary will not resign Cammellari as he will expect $5+ million again.

It would be even nicer to see the Flames miss the playoffs(not likely, but a boy can dream) and that will even further solidify their mistake.
hockster Posted - 07/19/2008 : 14:31:52
shanny would be a goodm fit, but you gotta think that eventually flames will have a rookie have a breakout year
leigh Posted - 07/16/2008 : 10:46:42
That I would love to see!!! Shanahan played with Iginla at the olympics too no?
Pasty7 Posted - 07/16/2008 : 10:37:28
quote:
Originally posted by leigh

Totally agree Pickles! That, and Kipper needs to be the stallion that he should be, because the back-up situation this year isn't too hot.

Brendan Shanahan is still available, i could see him fitting extremly well with the flames

Pasty
leigh Posted - 07/15/2008 : 14:42:56
Totally agree Pickles! That, and Kipper needs to be the stallion that he should be, because the back-up situation this year isn't too hot.
99pickles Posted - 07/15/2008 : 13:23:40
It would be nice if one of the young guys had a true breakout season for once. I see Iginla shouldering a heavy load once again when times get tough. This team just needs a little more depth up front and they could be a real contender.
leigh Posted - 07/15/2008 : 12:26:13
Thanks for the heads up, didn't know Godard was gone.

Here is what the link that Hockster posted says:

Cammalleri - Langkow - Iginla
Bourque - Lombardi - Bertuzzi
Glencross - Conroy - Moss
Nystrom - Primeau - Boyd

Reasonable but doesn't make me jump up and down in excitement. I still think they need more. An injury or some lack of confidence and there is not too much to fall back on.
hockster Posted - 07/15/2008 : 12:18:55
godard is gone
this is the link to how their line up is projected on their website

http://flames.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=DepthChartPage&dcid=78
leigh Posted - 07/15/2008 : 12:08:38
1st line: ??? - Langkow - Iginla
2nd line: Bertuzzi - Cammalleri - ???
3rd line: Nystrom/Nystrom - Lombardi - ???
4th line: Nilson/Moss - Boyd - Godard

Don;t forget that Bertuzzi could end up on the second line. If you put it that way then the Flames have two pretty good lines assuming they can find a right winger or two. This team is in desperate need for a few right wingers! They only have Godard and Iginla that are naturally right wingers. I suppose some of the centre men could move to the wing but that is a little clumsy

Centre: Lankow, Cammalleri, Lombardi, Boyd, Yelle, Conroy, Primeau

Left wingers: Greentree, Bertuzzi, Glencross, Nystrom, Nillson, Moss, Bourque,

They have some cap room so I think they'll be looking to pick up a strong right winger and ditch some centres/left wingers.

Who's out there?
wyntyre Posted - 07/13/2008 : 14:39:05
Lombardi, Bertuzzi and Baby Bob Nystrom!....fast hard hitting with some potential to score
hockster Posted - 07/05/2008 : 11:13:00
I would say that move helped
but they are saying the second line is Bourque, Lombardi, and Moss
That is not an NHL caliber second line,
Its more of a third line.
Insight..?
99pickles Posted - 07/05/2008 : 01:02:36
I think they did the best "addition through subtraction" this summer by relieving themselves of Huselius...you?

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page