Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Edmonton
 Heatley trade?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alex116 Posted - 09/10/2009 : 23:12:45
Just heard on the late news here that as sharksfan44 mentioned earlier, Heatley may be involved in a three way deal sending him to SJ, Marleau to LA and Frolov and Stoll to Ottawa? The local news here says all three GM's are denying it at this point, but, the interesting thing is, i heard on the radio yesterday that Heatley was playing in the Sens invitational golf tournament? Well, the news here just said that he's no longer playing in it?

Maybe by the time i get up, you east coasters will have some info?

Personally, i think it's a decent trade all around. SJ get's an incredible talent, albeit, a guy some would consider "not so good" in the dressing room (due to his second trade demand). LA gets a pretty good guy in Marleau, to help bring along some of the youth there. Also, at 30ish years of age, should still have some good years ahead of him. Ottawa, really being handcuffed like they are/were, get Frolov, a guy who's yet to live up to expectations but still has some serious upside. Playing with Alfie and/or Spezza could be all he needs to bring out the best in him? Stoll is not exactly a "throw in" either. Decent all around guy, good point man, etc.

What do you guys think (if it goes through)?
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alex116 Posted - 09/13/2009 : 23:28:42
Well, it wasn't the rumoured trade we'd heard, but no surprise that they finally got it done. SJ just got even stronger....
Axey Posted - 09/12/2009 : 11:59:16
Well Joe and Danny boy will fit perfectly. This trade changes alot, and I don't mind what Ottawa got in return adds depth up front and they get a pick as well.
sharksfan44 Posted - 09/12/2009 : 11:29:39
hahahahaha, i cant believe what i've just heard, dany heatley has officially been traded to the san jose sharks. i have the link for this trade right here

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=290808

im really suprised that there was no third team invovled, but thats okay. im sad to see michalek go because hes a very talented player and is still young but it should be worth it as DANY HEATLEY IS COMING TO SAN JOSE!!!!!!!
sharksfan44 Posted - 09/12/2009 : 11:24:31
this is very interesting. i was watching tsn an all of the sudden a sportscenter minute came up where it told us what would be in store for the early edition of sportscenter. well some of it mentioned that the san jose sharks and the chicago blackhawks are the frontrunners for heatley. the blackhawks! i had no idea they were even in the running.

it said more details on this story would be presented during sportscenter, so stay tuned....
sharksfan44 Posted - 09/12/2009 : 10:33:35
not really anything new, just thought i should post this

http://www.edmontonsun.com/sports/hockey/2009/09/11/10834241-sun.html
Alex116 Posted - 09/12/2009 : 00:27:32
Slozo....Ottawa def would look good outta this, at least for this year AND if they could resign Frolov, even better! I agree with some opinions that LA gets the raw end of this. Marleau is good, but why not deal straight up with Ottawa and get Heatley was questioned? I'm guessing because Heatley prob wouldn't nix this deal like he did the Edm one? He's not interested in helping some youngsters who are, let's face it, a few years away from contention at best? Marleau apparently has the same or similar no trade clause and rumour has it, that's what's holding up this deal?

IMO, SJ would overtake anyone in the West who's ranked ahead of them and be the favorite. They've already been up there in the west for the past few years, no reason to see them drop if this trade happens!

Slozo, as good as Ottawa looks if this happens, lets not forget, disgruntled or not, they're losing arguably their top guy for the past few years. While he may have become a distraction and they need to get rid of him, no one in Ottawa would rather have Stoll and Frolov over the Heatley of 2 or 3 years ago!
n/a Posted - 09/11/2009 : 22:13:18
Thanks for the link, Alex116. Interesting indeed.

Like Beans said, there aren't any losers, and especially Ottawa would come out of this smelling like roses. I think LA gets the least from this deal, but the fit is perfect as they really need someone like Marleau to take hold of the team and lead them onward, and he still has gas left in the tank. We'll see how well healed up Marleau is from his knee injury. San Jose would be boosted to co-favourite for winning the west, maybe even ahead of Chicago and Detroit and Calgary, if Heatley joined them. Like everyone mentioned, Thornton and Heatley would make . . . well, let's just say it gives me pause for thought before flatly stating OV wins the Richard trophy next year.

Frolov . . . together with Spezza and Alfredsson. Stoll on the second or third line providing depth and some grit. The Heatley saga done, and no dramas ongoing to distract the team.

This has gotta be a rumour!
Please, please, PLEEEEEASE let it be . . . Ottawa doesn't deserve an escape as good as this!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Guest4031 Posted - 09/11/2009 : 19:56:05
more info...

http://www.pickuphockey.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7844
sharksfan44 Posted - 09/11/2009 : 13:45:24
that is a very interesting comment on pat burns. i wish the person would have said who pat burns had talked to (if they knew)
Alex116 Posted - 09/11/2009 : 13:34:27
FWIW.....

http://communities.canada.com/ottawacitizen/blogs/hockeycapital/archive/2009/09/10/heatley-drops-out-of-golf-tournament-amid-reports-of-a-deal.aspx

Interesting comment about Pat Burns in one of the user comments....
Beans15 Posted - 09/11/2009 : 13:34:05
I think this is possibly the most even deal and a deal where no team is a real loser. They all get what their are looking for. Ottawa dropped the baggage of Heatley and picks up a guy in Stoll that can QB the PP, play the PK, and give 40ish points a year. Frolov is a stud and can definately take 2nd line minutes and 1st line if needed. The lack of secondary scoring in Ottawa is immediately addressed. (And Slozo, I would like to think this deal would nearly make Ottawa over TO a sure thing.) San Jose get's the best possible player in the NHL to ride shotgun with Joe Thornton. Heatley is a pure sniper through and through. No one can argue that. Marleau gets out from Thornton's shadow and becomes a 1st centre playing on the #1 line not a #1 centre playing on a #2 line. Plus, he also gets to stay on the West coast. LA gets an upgrade from various 2nd line players to actuall 1st line players and stays reasonably young.

But, like most things in life, it makes sense so it's won't happen.
sharksfan44 Posted - 09/11/2009 : 13:30:38
ya i definetely would. id much rather have heatley and joe together

now the guy who is reporting that this trade is basically a done deal, Bruce Garrioch, said yesterday that heatley will b a shark by today or tommorrow. well, that was yesterday so if heatley is not a shark by tonite some time, well that would but a lot of doubt in my mind. especially since training camp starts for the sens either tommorrow or sunday(i cant remember, it's one of those two)

that is an interesting note though with heatley pulling out of the golf tournement. i don't see y he would do that unless something was up

who knows?
Alex116 Posted - 09/11/2009 : 13:13:30
Sharksfan44....i think you'd be able to live with Marleau in LA if it meant Heatley and Big Joe playing together! That could be scary! Look what Cheechoo did with him that one year and imagine what an already accomplished sniper might do? Worst case, they don't click and they end up with two solid lines, but i don't see how they wouldn't work out well together!

May be just a rumour, but the golf tournament thing is what got me thinking.....Kinda like when a trade's being worked out and suddenly one of the guys in the rumoured deal is scratched right before a game with some sort of phantom injury?

Only time will tell.....
sharksfan44 Posted - 09/11/2009 : 12:01:31
as a sharks fan i would love to see this trade go down. having heatley and big joe on the same line would be unbelievable. i would b sad to see marleau go, but in my opinion he has just been too inconsistent and has never showed up wen the playoffs come around.

this is also a great trade for ottawa. being in the position they're in, to b able to get frolov and stoll would b amazing.

The kings get a great player in marleau, who's been a captain and can really bring some leadership

unfortunately like many of u have said, all 3 gm's r denying this. Also marleau would have to waive his NTC which has no interest doing so. the only thing about this trade that i don't really like about this trade if it happened is that we're sending marleau to a division rival. other than that this is a pretty good trade in my mind
n/a Posted - 09/11/2009 : 10:55:32
I really hope this isn't true . . . it certainly would make Ottawa a lot better (in the short run, at least) and Beans would be half way to Valhalla I think!

Lots of denials all around now from all parties, and no further word on it . . . not sure if that means they are trying to work out the last details, or if it is really just a rumour.

I guess rumour.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Matt_Roberts85 Posted - 09/11/2009 : 10:55:27
Just an update, all 3 GMs have denied that this was ever going to happen. Apparently just a rumour..

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Guest5382 Posted - 09/11/2009 : 09:46:00
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA
The two (Frolov and Stoll) have never played with the talent like Spezza, Alfie or Kovalev.

Two words: Anze Kopitar.
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 09/11/2009 : 09:35:41
I say Ottawa wins on this one. Stoll 39 points last year with 68 in his best season. Frolov 59 points last year with 71 points in his best year. The two have never played with the talent like Spezza, Alfie or Kovalev. Heatley last year had 72 points. My math says these 2 players at 2/3 of his salary would be an awesome deal for Ottawa.

I say Stoll has at least his best season in front of him of 65-70 points and Frolov could be a 80-90 point player if he sees time on the 1st line along side Spezza with either Alfie or Kovalev. But more importantly this brings even more depth to an already improving group of forwards. If neither clicks Stoll is tradeable and Frolov leaves Free Agent end of year and Ottawa has capspace to sign replacement players. Win/win

This deal wont happen because it would be to good for Ottawa! Havent seen them get the better end of a deal since the Yashin trade.
Guest5382 Posted - 09/11/2009 : 05:44:52
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

Just heard on the late news here that as sharksfan44 mentioned earlier, Heatley may be involved in a three way deal sending him to SJ, Marleau to LA and Frolov and Stoll to Ottawa? The local news here says all three GM's are denying it at this point, but, the interesting thing is, i heard on the radio yesterday that Heatley was playing in the Sens invitational golf tournament? Well, the news here just said that he's no longer playing in it?

Maybe by the time i get up, you east coasters will have some info?

Personally, i think it's a decent trade all around. SJ get's an incredible talent, albeit, a guy some would consider "not so good" in the dressing room (due to his second trade demand). LA gets a pretty good guy in Marleau, to help bring along some of the youth there. Also, at 30ish years of age, should still have some good years ahead of him. Ottawa, really being handcuffed like they are/were, get Frolov, a guy who's yet to live up to expectations but still has some serious upside. Playing with Alfie and/or Spezza could be all he needs to bring out the best in him? Stoll is not exactly a "throw in" either. Decent all around guy, good point man, etc.

What do you guys think (if it goes through)?

Good but not great for Ottawa. Frolov is UFA at the end of the year so unless Ottawa can re-sign him to a decent cap hit, that's just a throw away. Stoll is $3M for another couple of years. Not so bad a cap hit. So in essence, unless Frolov re-signs, it is Dany Heatley for Jared Stoll. You make that decision.

Marleau is also a UFA at the end of the year so LA didn't lose much, if he didn't re-sign. I mean really all LA would have lost is Stoll since Frolov will be a UFA. Also Marleau has to waive his no trade clause (NTC), which he said he will not waive. His experience along with Smyth would be awesome to LA's kids.

SJ gets the best of the deal. They get the best player for the longest period of time. Plus now that Heatley is traded, his NTC is no longer valid and SJ can do whatever they want with him. Also, they provide Thornton incentive to stay with them since he will be playing with a bonafide sniper for once.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page