Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Heads Up!
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Dobber
 Carey Price, the Blues –Some Offseason Strategies

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
admin Posted - 05/31/2010 : 10:04:03
The more I research hockey this offseason, the more I like the Blues. Not because they’re a potential fantasy powerhouse, but because they are much better than they have shown. Translation: there are deals to be had.

Let’s start with the easy reasons. T.J. Oshie and Alex Steen. The latter led the Blues in scoring over the final 49 games with 43 points. While Steen is historically inconsistent, he should still be good for 60 points. Oshie, on the other hand, was arguably the only Blue to take a step forward last campaign. Expecting an additional 10 points on the 48 he had is not a crazy thought.

Now the less-tangible reasons. Patrik Berglund is not a 26-point player, give me a break. Would it shock you if he got 60 next year? He certainly has the talent. But even the most pessimistic poolie would concede that increasing his numbers from 26 to 40 is a safe bet.

Can rookie Lars Eller replace Paul Kariya’s 43 points next season? Sure. He could. But it is a little bold to assume so. Let’s assume he gets reasonably close enough to those numbers – say 38 points – to call it a wash.

So if Oshie, Berglund and Steen pad their point totals accordingly – again, it’s an assumption, but a fairly safe one – and Perron continues to flat line or improve on that 50-point range and Eller has a decent rookie season, how will this impact the rest of the lineup? Think domino effect.

Andy McDonald hasn’t had a decent season in three years. I think he’ll get 70 points, give or take, in the season ahead. How cheap would he be in your keeper league? Think about it – if the supporting cast around him improves and the coaching style is a non-Andy Murray one, then his numbers are bound to improve. He had 57 points last year, so is 70 really a stretch given that the aforementioned Steen, Perron, Oshie and Berglund each add anywhere from 10 to 20 points to their totals?

The same could be said about Brad Boyes, or the player whom the Blues acquire for Boyes if they are somehow able to trade his bloated contract and use the money on a free agent.

And I haven’t even mentioned future superstar Erik Johnson, who is obviously on the upswing.

There are another 30 to 45 goals in this team and the fact that only one player topped 50 points last season only means that there are a handful of players in the perfect “buy low” situation. Like all strategies, this one is certainly no guarantee, but it’s the one I’ll be going with in my keeper leagues this offseason.

Meanwhile…
Carey Price owners be very afraid (disclosure, I am a Price owner in two of my three keeper leagues). Nothing good can come of this. After weeks of reading about how Price will be traded – mostly during the Halak-is-God era of the postseason – I am now reading about how Halak will be gone. Both goaltenders feel they should be NHL starters.

Halak owners can rest easy. He is hot right now and has proven quite a lot when there is much on the line. But Price owners are in trouble no matter what.

Situation 1 – Price gets moved.

On a new team he will be hailed as a savior. Wherever he goes, it will be to a team in desperate need of him. This is the lesser of the two evils, but he’ll be going in with lot of expectations that he is a couple of years too young to fill. Will Philadelphia or St. Louis (two teams oft-mentioned in rumors) fans have the patience to watch him struggle through a year before finding his groove? No. And as such, he may never find that groove. However, if he joins the new team and makes an impact quickly – the best possible scenario for Price owners – he’ll be fine.

Situation 2 – Halak gets moved.

Montreal fans are split on who they prefer, but the betting here is that Halak is their preference when it gets right down to it. If the team decides to roll with Price, how much patience will fans have for him? Answer: maybe the first period of Game 1.

Price has shown in the past that he can handle a lot of pressure, and the upcoming season will be the ultimate test. There are two paths ahead of him and the big, wide, paved one is leading towards “struggle for a few years and then bust”. That narrow, weed-infested, dirt road that goes in the other direction is the one that leads to stardom.

As a Price owner, I’m stuck with him. I can’t trade him for the pittance I would get and I certainly can’t drop him because of his incredibly high upside – perhaps the highest upside of anyone in the league. I just have to hang on and hope that he has more resilience than ever.

Have an opinion on Dobber's article? Let us know. Just hit reply below and post your thoughts. Anything goes...but keep it clean.
PickupHockey.com is your online hockey community. We're always looking for sharp volunteer writers. If you feel that you'd like to contribute please send us an email at admin at pickuphockey.com
PickupHockey.com and the owners of PickupHockey.com do not necessarily endorse the opinions expressed on its website of the volunteer writers. The opinions expressed here in this and other posts are solely the opinions of the writers.
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
irvine Posted - 05/31/2010 : 16:53:28
Ah, The St. Louis Blues...

I had thought, previous to this past season that the Blues were looking pretty decent for the future.

However, I don't think that future is next year. With all of the increased point production that you predict, for each of their top young players, should mean more wins for the Blues.

But, are the Blues ready for more wins? I don't believe so. The Blues are not well-rounded, nor developed enough at this time to become a winning team. And, I don't think they will increase their scoring that much either, on a team, or individual level overall.

Some will, that's for certain. However, not all that you mentioned.

Alex Steen? Since when has this guy been expected to become the point leader for a team? I mean, on a young Blues team, he may have to. But, he's not the player I want leading my offensive production.

Oshie, I like this guys upside for producing... just perhaps, not for another year or two.

Patrick Berglund, I expect much more out of also. This guy should be producing double+ what he did this past season. So I too, expect more this coming year.

Lars Ellar, of course is hard to judge. Coming in as a rookie. But, I can see 25-30 points coming from him. Even playing with lesser players, breaking in to the league.

McDonald is a speedy guy. Given the right linemates, I think he can hit 70 points too. But, will he get the correct linemates? I'm not positive on how things will look (line wise), next year.

Erik Johnson is a solid young D-man. But, he's not going to make a big production jump next year, compared to past. He's one year wiser, one year better. But the makeup of the team is still the same. Unless, they acquire some more talent during the offseason. The guys they rely on now, just do not cut it. Most are secondary scorers, in fact, all of them are at this point. You don't jump in production (in big numbers), with the same team makeup, of secondary scoring. The upside is, the secondary scoring is young. They have a chance to become top 3-6 guys. Just, I don't expect it by next season.

Irvine/prez.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page