Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Central Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Colorado
 Pierre Turgeon to Retire

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
leigh Posted - 09/04/2007 : 16:49:05
Pierre Turgeon has called a press conference for Wednesday and is expected to announce that he is retiring. Make room in the Hall of Fame for this guy (1327 points in 1294 games)

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=217579&hubname=nhl
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
leigh Posted - 09/05/2007 : 16:40:31
Beans I see that you have started a thread on the HHOF standards and I'll move my next post there. See ya there fellas!

bablaboushka Posted - 09/05/2007 : 15:11:42
Well I think a more fair comparison might be to Ron Francis. I never really watched either of these players in their "primes" but I remember both these players as sneaky, sportsmanlike, potent producers. Is Ron Francis ever considered as one of the best players the NHL has ever had? Well I mean he IS #4 on the all-time points list... So is it really just about points now? I'm not suggesting that Francis didn't deserve his induction or that Turgeon doesn't deserve one but I'm really confused now as to what the criteria are to qualify for induction. Mats Sundin has similar pts-per-game figures and is only 1G, 6A away from being the all-time leader in points as a Leaf. On the other hand he has never won anything in the NHL (Cup or personal award). Does he deserve to be in after he retires? Where is the standard now...?
willus3 Posted - 09/05/2007 : 14:32:35
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

That's a good point Willus. You didn't see a lot of intensity in his game. And I wouldn't compare him to Sakic as much as an Adam Oates type player. Quite, got the job done, but never really shown their heart in the game.

However, does that make him a bad player?? His production was pretty impressive.

If you are under the age of 15, please do some research before you make a post about anything pre-1997.

No it doesn't make him a bad player. That isn't what I'm saying. I think you guys are missing my point. He's a good player. He just doesn't belong in the HOF with the true greats.

"You are not your desktop wallpaper"
Beans15 Posted - 09/05/2007 : 12:29:37
That's a good point Willus. You didn't see a lot of intensity in his game. And I wouldn't compare him to Sakic as much as an Adam Oates type player. Quite, got the job done, but never really shown their heart in the game.

However, does that make him a bad player?? His production was pretty impressive.

If you are under the age of 15, please do some research before you make a post about anything pre-1997.
willus3 Posted - 09/05/2007 : 11:33:46
quote:
Originally posted by leigh

Willus, he always reminded me of Sakic. Calm, cool and gets the job done without a big fuss. One of the things I respected about him most. I don't think that because he wasn't an intense player it will stop him from making it.

500+ goals, 800+ assists, 1300+ points and a Lady Byng. At over a-point-a-game he'll get in. Maybe not right away, maybe not on the first ballot, but he'll get in.

Sakic is on another level completely. I don't know many that would say otherwise. Sakic and Yzerman get compared quite often but I've never heard someone say Turgeon is as good as either of those guys. I won't be surprised if he gets in, but as you say it won't be on the first ballot. If he does though I think they should really rename the HHOF to the Hockey Hall of Mediocre or Better.

leigh Posted - 09/05/2007 : 10:19:04
Willus, he always reminded me of Sakic. Calm, cool and gets the job done without a big fuss. One of the things I respected about him most. I don't think that because he wasn't an intense player it will stop him from making it.

500+ goals, 800+ assists, 1300+ points and a Lady Byng. At over a-point-a-game he'll get in. Maybe not right away, maybe not on the first ballot, but he'll get in.
willus3 Posted - 09/05/2007 : 09:35:14
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

There's Willus and his anti-defensive player stand. He's a 500+ goal guy for God Sakes!! He's in the top 30 all time scoring, and he's been a stand up guy his whole career. Never any off the ice issues, never known as a dirty player.

I think he'll make the Hall. Rightly or wrongly Willus, I think he belongs.

Is he what you would call an all time great player?
It has nothing to do with my defensive bias you are asserting I have.
He just isn't a HOF worthy player. He's quite possibly the worst member of the 500 goal club. He lacked the intensity to make him a great player.He was good. He could have been better.
Here's a good comparison I saw someone make. Take Doug Gilmour and compare him to Turgeon. Very similar numbers. If you asked the GM's who they would want out of the two of them I think you'd find all of them say Gilmour. Turgeon was a soft player and lacked the desire and intensity to make him a player you had to have.

Beans15 Posted - 09/05/2007 : 06:25:17
There's Willus and his anti-defensive player stand. He's a 500+ goal guy for God Sakes!! He's in the top 30 all time scoring, and he's been a stand up guy his whole career. Never any off the ice issues, never known as a dirty player.

I think he'll make the Hall. Rightly or wrongly Willus, I think he belongs.

willus3 Posted - 09/04/2007 : 19:19:37
HHOF? Good Lord no!
The HOF is for the all time greats of the game. They've already lowered their standards enough without letting Turgeon in. He was a good player for sure. Just not a great player.

PainTrain Posted - 09/04/2007 : 19:09:31
Yup he'll make it into the hall of fame. He just doesn't seem to have it and didn't he have a back injury?

No Sacrifice , No Victory!

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page