Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Welcome To PickUpHockey.com
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Web site comments only
 New Division Names / Alignments

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 08/02/2013 : 09:22:55
When will you guys be changing the divisions to the new set-up and changed names?

Can't wait to see Detroit in with the Leafs, and get a name complaint thread going for the ridiculous Eastern Conference division names, lol . . .

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Beans15 Posted - 09/27/2013 : 10:22:54
See the last post I made. I agree that mathmatically there is an advatage. But there are so many factors that are included in that equation that the difference between 14 and 16 teams in a conference is so insignificant that it doesn't really matter.

Again, I ask: why didn't the NHLPA say no if it was such an advantage??

If you are a player in a conference with a greater advantage to make the playoffs, you are more likely to have greater negotiating leverage if you consistently make the playoffs. Consequently, if a player doesn't have the advantage of making the playoffs he will likely not have that same leverage.

The NHLPA didn't like the uneven divisions within the conference so the NHL changed it. This plan was approved by both sides.

It's not reasonable to think that the NHLPA would have approved an unfair system.

Ottawa, the best coached team in the NHL, with MVP like players such as Chris Neil, will win the Cup in 2013!

sahis34 Posted - 09/27/2013 : 08:27:33
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

quote:
Originally posted by sahis34

Thats not fair to the eastern teams

The only different between the East and West is that fewer teams miss the playoffs in the West.

How does that not seem advantageous to you? Less competition gives you more opportunity to succeed.
Beans15 Posted - 09/26/2013 : 12:05:42
Alex brings up several great points and although I don't share his comparison to life isn't fair so deal with it, the point remains the same.

Just to clarify, the number of teams does have an impact on the overall ability for a team to make the playoffs. It's just that the factor is one of literally thousands of factors and, as such, it is not relevant on its own. Travel is a perfect example. Teams that have to travel more have a disadvantage over teams that do not have to travel as much, but there isn't anything negating that issue is there??

Nope, this is a moot point and has been forever. Does anyone really think for a second that the NHLPA would have agreed to realignment if there was any discernible advantage or disadvantage?? In a CBA year no less??

Ottawa, the best coached team in the NHL, with MVP like players such as Chris Neil, will win the Cup in 2013!

Alex116 Posted - 09/26/2013 : 10:45:17
quote:
Originally posted by slozo
Sahis - the correct response is,

YOU ARE RIGHT!

Wow! Never thought i'd see those words in print!

I'm on Beans' side here. "Not fair"? Is it "fair" then that some teams travel further than others during the year? Is it fair that if the east has a few weeker teams than the west? Or what about divisional opponents? Is it "fair" that the Canucks have feasted on week divisional opponents these past few years? Is it fair that some teams will play on back to back nights more than others?

Do we need to put every team in one city to negate travel, have them play each other exactly the same amounts of times, have the same number of "back to backs" etc?

Bottom line, life ain't fair. Deal with it.........
Beans15 Posted - 09/26/2013 : 09:20:05
When discussing statistics in this type of environment, they are only applicable when the conditions are controlled and the situation repeatable.

If you say that pulling odds of pulling 8 names from a hat improve when there are fewer names in the hat you are 100% correct.

If you think that a hockey team has a greater statistical advantage playing in a division with fewer teams when each team plays the same number of games against consistent opponents, you are wrong.

8 teams out of 14 vs 18 out of 16 has such a small statistically relevance that it is completely insignificant. I'm not saying there is zero statistical relevance because mathmatically there is. However, a team that misses or makes the playoffs is based on their abilities not not on how many teams are in the division. This structure is no different than what happens today in that often a team from the East would have enough points to make the playoffs in the West and vice versa. That is still likely to happen but that does change nor is it impacted with 14 teams vs 16 teams.

n/a Posted - 09/25/2013 : 22:43:53
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

quote:

Here we go again.

There must be fewer spots available for the teams in the East?? Nope, there is 8 per side. The top 3 teams plus 2 wild cards.

The only different between the East and West is that fewer teams miss the playoffs in the West.

Which is less fair, statistically. Proven in black and white.

Here we go again indeed.
Sahis - the correct response is,

YOU ARE RIGHT!

Beans15 Posted - 09/25/2013 : 10:49:30
quote:

Here we go again.

There must be fewer spots available for the teams in the East?? Nope, there is 8 per side. The top 3 teams plus 2 wild cards.

sahis34 Posted - 09/25/2013 : 09:52:14
n/a Posted - 09/25/2013 : 09:46:31
So at the very least, finishing top 3 in your own division guarantees playoffs, and finishing fourth means you need to have more points than the 5th placed team in the other division.

Thanks for the clarification btw guys!

Beans15 Posted - 09/24/2013 : 11:54:30
I stand corrected! The information I first read was from an older TSN article. Below is on NHL.com. The playoffs are still divisionally based but the top 3 from each division plus the net two highest point getters in the conference will make the playoffs.

The top three teams in each division will make up the first 12 teams in the playoffs. The remaining four spots will be filled by the next two highest-placed finishers in each conference, based on regular-season points and regardless of division. It will be possible, then, for one division to send five teams to the postseason while the other sends three.

The seeding of the wild-card teams within each divisional playoff will be determined on the basis of regular-season points. The division winner with the most points in the conference will be matched against the wild-card team with the fewest points; the division winner with the second-most points in the conference will play the wild-card team with the second fewest points.

The teams finishing second and third in each division will play in the first round of the playoffs. The winners of each series will play for berths in the conference championship series.

The_Gipper Posted - 09/24/2013 : 10:07:44
not sure that's accurate Beans. if i recall correctly, the top 3 teams from each division fill out the first 6 spots in each conference. the 1st and 2nd seeds are given to the respective divisional leaders, and seeds 3 thru 6 are ranked in order of points. the final 2 seeds are then given to two of the remaining teams in the conference with the highest points.
Beans15 Posted - 09/24/2013 : 09:39:48
quote:

So whats the deal with the wildcards then? The top three teams make it from each division, but then is it the top 2 from each conference, or the top 4 in all of the league?

There are no wildcards?? The playoff format goes back to a hard divisional structure. Top 4 deams in each division playoffs (1vs4 and 2vs3), the winners of those series then play with the conference finalist meeting in the 3rd round followed by the Cup.

sahis34 Posted - 09/22/2013 : 20:42:55
So whats the deal with the wildcards then? The top three teams make it from each division, but then is it the top 2 from each conference, or the top 4 in all of the league?
n/a Posted - 08/29/2013 : 05:56:31
No, I am just the nagging housewife in this scenario, lol . . .

Alex116 Posted - 08/28/2013 : 23:31:10
What Slozo requests, Slozo gets?

http://www.pickuphockey.com/forum/default.asp

Really? You own this site or something Slozo?
n/a Posted - 08/28/2013 : 05:53:06
quote:
Originally posted by admin

Hey gang. We were enjoying the summer sun (so should you!!! ) But now that we're getting our first of many days of rain here in Vancouver I think I'll jump on this task today or tomorrow

Awesome, thanks ADMIN!

My love of hockey takes no vacation . . . I'm just starving for it, so excuse my enthusiasm and pestering!

admin Posted - 08/27/2013 : 14:23:05
Hey gang. We were enjoying the summer sun (so should you!!! ) But now that we're getting our first of many days of rain here in Vancouver I think I'll jump on this task today or tomorrow
n/a Posted - 08/27/2013 : 07:03:36
So when is this happening, pickuphockey folks?

I have a craving to see Toronto lumped in with Detroit and the Florida teams here, and I need to see those Metropolitan teams lumped together . . .c'mon!

JOSHUACANADA Posted - 08/02/2013 : 09:27:44
We can bash them here. Metro division name sucks, Atlantic division should have been for those teams. They should have stuck with Eastern Division for what is the Atlantic and renamed the conference's. Orr and Gretzky would have been my choices for Conference names so we can get back to the great debate about who was the best to play the game.

"I now realise that the Toronto Maple Leafs, Canada's finest hockey team, is better than the Ottawa Senators - and always will be. PS - LOVE that Dion Phaneuf! "

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page