Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 US Olympic team named

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alex116 Posted - 01/01/2014 : 20:25:28
The US announced their 25 man roster today following the Winter Classic in Detroit.

Forwards: David Backes, Dustin Brown, Ryan Callahan, Patrick Kane, Ryan Kesler, Phil Kessel, T.J. Oshie, Max Pacioretty, Zach Parise, Joe Pavelski, Paul Stastny, Derek Stepan, James van Riemsdyk and Blake Wheeler.

Defencemen: John Carlson, Justin Faulk, Cam Fowler, Paul Martin, Ryan McDonagh, Brooks Orpik, Kevin Shattenkirk and Ryan Suter.

Goaltenders: Jimmy Howard, Jonathan Quick and Ryan Miller.

A few rather notable "snubs" include Keith Yandle, Jack Johnson and Bobby Ryan. I'm sure there's more I'm missing but the US has really revamped their D and I think I heard there's only 2 dmen who are returning from the 2010 team?

The knock on Ryan apparently is his skating and defensive game? But as one of the best pure American scorers, I'm shocked he's not there!

18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Leafs81 Posted - 01/03/2014 : 14:31:51
Really surprised by the omissions of Yandle and Ryan.

Yandle should have absolutly been there, not only for the powerplay, but to make that good first pass and carry the puck. I am not comparing Yandle to Niedermayer, but right now Yandle is the closest thing the Americans have to Niedermayer. And we can all attest that Niedermayer was a big part in 2002 and 2010 and was a big lost in 2006.

I would of taken Yandle over anybody but Suter and McDonagh.

Ah well... all the better for us.

The americans still looks solid, big, gritty, strong and fast.
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 01/02/2014 : 19:47:08
It was one of the knocks against him by Burke and the USA GM group.

quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

Uhhhh Yandle is 6ft 1????? size???

Hello, 911? It's an emergency, my teddy bear's been kidnapped!
[pause] Hello? Hello?

Pasty7 Posted - 01/02/2014 : 19:31:08
Uhhhh Yandle is 6ft 1????? size???

[pause] Hello? Hello?
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 01/02/2014 : 19:03:56
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

quote:
I wonder how players like Ryan, Yandle, Johnson, Howard, Anderson, etc, will react after being critically evaluated in public this way.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=440211

And so it begins.

I hope that team Canada does not publicize this process in the same fashion. Some things should be kept behind closed doors.

I agree. This 24 hour access the states wants on hockey is horrible if your a fan of a player who is highlighted negatively. I am a huge Bobby Ryan fan, but I understand you don't send the man out to kill penalties. How he was being talked about was very disrespectful by Brian Burke. For those of you with long memories, this is not the first time Burke has publicly knocked Ryan and I doubt he would accept a collect call from Burke or Poile, to fill in, if there is an injury. As for Jack Johnson, Eric Johnson, Yandle and Okposo, I suggest they turn off there phones if a player gets injured prior to the tournament because they got little love from the USA GM core.

Huge mistake not taking Yandle, btw. He might not have the largest frame and defensive instincts, but he is one of the more talented offensive defenseman and has excellent skating skills. If he played in a larger hockey market he would be a lock for any nation. I also think not including Big Buff was a mistake, but I am less upset over his exclusion.
nuxfan Posted - 01/02/2014 : 15:45:31
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Do I need to remind anyone here that Yandle plays for the juggernaut offense of the Coyotes? And has size ever, EVER, played a factor in past NHL appearances in the Olympics? Let me answer that for you . . . negative. No. Never.

Suter is far superior defensively, I would argue that he is the strongest defensman on the team, and certainly the #1 all around US dman.

PHX is currently 6th in the NHL in goals/game - they are not the defense only team from past years anymore. Yandle is a part of theat offense, for sure.

Size always plays a factor, all else being equal - teams will take big and fast over small and fast any day of the week. However, it appears that from the article posted earlier, the choice was due to defensive liabilities. I don't think that Yandle is particularly bad defensively, but he's not as good as the others chosen.

We'll find out soon enough if it was a bad choice or not.
n/a Posted - 01/02/2014 : 15:02:28
Last three years:

Yandle
11/12 - 82gp, 11g 32a 43 pts . . . playoffs: 16gp, 1g, 8a, 9 pts +5
12/13 - 48gp, 10g, 20a 30 pts (!!!)
13/14 - 39gp, 6g 21a 27pts
(on pace for about 55 pts, over 12 goals)

Anyways . . . I just think the whole Phoenix thing puts him behind the 8 ball. Even for all the scouting, etc . . . I think it does have an effect overall, of people just not seeing you as much, and therefore not remembering all the great games/performances of the past. It colours the whole idea of what kind of player he is, etc.

Just my opinion.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
n/a Posted - 01/02/2014 : 14:50:28
quote:

quote:

I really don't get the exclusions of Bobby Ryan and Yandle.

Of note, other than Suter, no other named d-man has the offence that Yandle brings. To me, the US team lacks that depth of offensive defenceman....at an elite, competetive level. Makes the exclusion even more glaring...I mean, it's not like leaving Subbing off the Canadian team, with so many elite comparables...

Suter, Shattenkirk, McDonaugh, and Fowler can all provide offense. They are all roughly as productive as Yandle, and IMO Suter and Shattenkirk are both better options than Yandle from a purely offensive POV.

One thing that might have factored in is size? Yandle is on the small side, one of the few defensemen in the NHL that is sub-200 pounds. Perhaps team USA felt they needed the size as well as the offensive production.

Suter is CLOSE to Yandle, just behind him for offense. No one else is actually that close, IMHO.

Do I need to remind anyone here that Yandle plays for the juggernaut offense of the Coyotes? And has size ever, EVER, played a factor in past NHL appearances in the Olympics? Let me answer that for you . . . negative. No. Never.

It's a game which, at this level, needs the MOST SKILLED PLAYERS, and the fastest players have an edge. The games are very tight in general, and power play / penalty kill are even more important . . . just like in the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Sorry, I think they made a terrible call here. The US does not have the defensive depth of Canada to be able to make a mistake like this IMHO.

nuxfan Posted - 01/02/2014 : 14:19:54
quote:
I wonder how players like Ryan, Yandle, Johnson, Howard, Anderson, etc, will react after being critically evaluated in public this way.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=440211

And so it begins.

I hope that team Canada does not publicize this process in the same fashion. Some things should be kept behind closed doors.
The Duke Posted - 01/02/2014 : 14:14:03
I guess the Americans have come a long way with developing star players. They too now, like Canada, have indeed great players who have to be left off their roster due to an over-abundance of talent.
Guest6751 Posted - 01/02/2014 : 12:52:35
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6751
Great article (but long) from Scott Burnside on ESPN to explain the selection.
http://espn.go.com/olympics/hockey/story/_/id/10195703/how-us-hockey-team-bound-sochi-olympics-was-named

I hope Pierre Lebrun does something similar for the Canadian team roster announcements.
nuxfan Posted - 01/02/2014 : 12:08:41
quote:

quote:

http://espn.go.com/olympics/hockey/story/_/id/10195703/how-us-hockey-team-bound-sochi-olympics-was-named

That is an impressive article, long but very good. I'm surprised by the level of insight and decision making process that is reported here - there were a lot of not-nice things said about some very good players as part of this process. I wonder how players like Ryan, Yandle, Johnson, Howard, Anderson, etc, will react after being critically evaluated in public this way.
Alex116 Posted - 01/02/2014 : 11:39:12
You hear about the 67 yr old Canadian guy who was told he made the team??? Lol, pretty funny......

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/usa-hockey-mistakenly-tells-67-old-canadian-made-234933413--nhl.html
Alex116 Posted - 01/02/2014 : 09:22:11
quote:

Thanks for the link to that. It really is worth the read even if it's long. Basically walks you through the step by step process and series of meetings/discussions that the US selection committee had in regards to picking their team.

I was surprised at some of the comments that were made public. Nothing too crazy, but just some quotes made regarding guys and their play.

This reads like a narrated TV show and could have been a great one had this all been filmed!
umteman Posted - 01/02/2014 : 09:17:16
quote:

quote:

Of note, other than Suter, no other named d-man has the offence that Yandle brings. To me, the US team lacks that depth of offensive defenceman....at an elite, competetive level. Makes the exclusion even more glaring...I mean, it's not like leaving Subbing off the Canadian team, with so many elite comparables...

Suter, Shattenkirk, McDonaugh, and Fowler can all provide offense. They are all roughly as productive as Yandle, and IMO Suter and Shattenkirk are both better options than Yandle from a purely offensive POV.

One thing that might have factored in is size? Yandle is on the small side, one of the few defensemen in the NHL that is sub-200 pounds. Perhaps team USA felt they needed the size as well as the offensive production.

Even though his numbers don't really show it, John Carlson can be a pretty effective offensive defenseman when need be. He scored the winner in the world Juniors a couple years ago. I think he has around 20 points so far this NHL season.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
nuxfan Posted - 01/02/2014 : 08:12:07
quote:

Guest6751 Posted - 01/02/2014 : 07:57:31
quote:

n/a Posted - 01/02/2014 : 04:49:39

Ryan not included is also bizarre for the same reasons. Why take Wheeler over Ryan?!? Don't get it....

Pasty7 Posted - 01/01/2014 : 21:47:29
Yandle is a complete shock to me, he to me is easily would be the best skater of there defensive corps. not to mention he is having a pretty strong season. to me he is easily better than oprik fowler martin, and most likely better than Carlson and on par with shattenkirk. Yandle should be this teams 3rd d man.

Oh and they should have taken Glachenyuk. why because just because!

[pause] Hello? Hello?

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page