Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference -Metropolitan Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Pittsburgh
 Malkin = Lemieux?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
irvine Posted - 03/01/2008 : 18:04:49
Is Evgeni Malkin the next Mario Lemieux?
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Guest9544 Posted - 02/21/2009 : 02:34:55
Malkin will never come close to MARIO the Magnificent, he's not Sid the kid
Datsyuk 1 Posted - 03/06/2008 : 20:17:05
I say Malkin is the closest to #66. Although he has alot of ahead of him to become close to Mario.p

Good defense is good offense!
PainTrain Posted - 03/06/2008 : 16:24:18
quote:
Originally posted by willus3

quote:
Originally posted by irvine

By being the next Mario Lemieux, I don't mean (per say,) he will have similar point totals. But, in his style of play. Does he play like Lemiuex?

I do want some point totals to be considered, of course. You can't play like Lemiuex without getting some points... but mainly I am wondering of his style of play and potential to BE.

To say this early he's going to be a top 5 to ever play in the NHL, is far fetched. I can't tell what his future holds just yet, in comparison to Lemieux. But, I do think his style of play is like Lemiuex. If they compare Crosby to Gretzky, i'd like to compare Malkin to Lemiuex! I just see more comparisons between those two, than I do Crosby and Gretzky.

Irvine

They do compare Crosby to Gretzky but they really shouldn't. Crosby may be the biggest offensive threat in the game today but he doesn't play anything like Gretzky did. Completely different styles.

"I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get 7 years of bad luck but my lawyer thinks he can get me 5."
-- Steven Wright

I agree. I mean Crosby is really well at having that attitude of "It's my puck" when he's behind the net. He always wants the puck on his stick. I guess I'm just saying he has more grit then the Great One.
willus3 Posted - 03/05/2008 : 09:13:56
quote:
Originally posted by irvine

By being the next Mario Lemieux, I don't mean (per say,) he will have similar point totals. But, in his style of play. Does he play like Lemiuex?

I do want some point totals to be considered, of course. You can't play like Lemiuex without getting some points... but mainly I am wondering of his style of play and potential to BE.

To say this early he's going to be a top 5 to ever play in the NHL, is far fetched. I can't tell what his future holds just yet, in comparison to Lemieux. But, I do think his style of play is like Lemiuex. If they compare Crosby to Gretzky, i'd like to compare Malkin to Lemiuex! I just see more comparisons between those two, than I do Crosby and Gretzky.

Irvine

They do compare Crosby to Gretzky but they really shouldn't. Crosby may be the biggest offensive threat in the game today but he doesn't play anything like Gretzky did. Completely different styles.

"I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get 7 years of bad luck but my lawyer thinks he can get me 5."
-- Steven Wright
irvine Posted - 03/05/2008 : 08:53:24

Irvine
Axey Posted - 03/04/2008 : 11:10:17
quote:
Originally posted by Alex

quote:
Originally posted by Axey

I find Malkin plays like Forsberg & he just reminds me alot of Peter Forsberg with his size and tenacity

Exactly what I said in another forum! Wow, us Habs fans eh?

Habs get number 25 this year

Great minds think alike as they say ahah
willus3 Posted - 03/04/2008 : 08:20:29
There was a stretch there recently of about 10 games or so where Malkin was at 2 PPG.
When he can do that for a whole season I think we could talk about it. He may be the closest thing there is to Lemieux right now but he really isn't that close. Lemieux is one of the top 4 players in the history of the game. Malkin has some work ahead of him...

-- Steven Wright
Guest5700 Posted - 03/03/2008 : 15:30:26
Mario did his own fighting early in his career, lets see Mr Malkin drop the gloves against a few of the big guys.........Mario was the complete package, the only Player, imho, who ranks close to Greztky, maybe not by final stats, but at their very best.....and Mario didn't need a minder
Alex Posted - 03/03/2008 : 12:45:02
quote:
Originally posted by Axey

I find Malkin plays like Forsberg & he just reminds me alot of Peter Forsberg with his size and tenacity

Exactly what I said in another forum! Wow, us Habs fans eh?

Habs get number 25 this year
Axey Posted - 03/03/2008 : 12:41:58
nashvillepreds Posted - 03/02/2008 : 17:14:14
I think he has skill, but no that much skill. It would be interesting to see if he gets moved to a team like pheonix, if he can carry a whole team on his back like he has been doing since Crosby's injury. Although he would have one of the best leaders in the game watching his back.

Ellis or Mason?

Go Preds Go!
leigh Posted - 03/02/2008 : 11:25:52
Funny you mentioned this, I was thinking it the other day when watching some highlights. Irvine I do think that their styles seem similar (as you described above) but I think it helps the fantasy that we are seeing him in a Pittsburgh jersey.

Not that this is the "end all, be all", but if statistics are any indication then the answer is "no".

Mario
1st season - 100 pts
2nd season - 141 pts

Malkin
1st season - 85 pts
2nd season - 110 pts pace

but hey, you never know! Lemieux only got 107 in his 3rd year and spent much of his remaining career injured. If Malkin can average 100pts a year over 18 years he's in!
leafs all the way Posted - 03/02/2008 : 10:30:56
As good as Malkin is no, I do not think he is the next MArio Lemieux the only guy. Now this may start the talk about well what about Crosby no, he too I think is not as good as Lemieux but, a guy that I think could be as good as Lemieux is Tavares but he will most likely will not be drafted to the Pens
irvine Posted - 03/01/2008 : 18:08:32
I have never been one to really compare new 'greats' or potential 'greats' to former greats. But, I find Malkin to be very similar to Lemieux. Both players have that big body presence. Though bigger, they still both have some speed. Not great speed, but they can certainly skate. They both could make a play from pretty much nothing. They both can score and set up.

I just find a lot of similarity between Lemieux and Malkin. In how they use/used their size to their advantage.

66 - 71, do you see it?

Irvine

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page