Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Best Player in the NHL Now? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Guest4680
( )

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  21:08:12  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Who is the best player right now in the NHL

Choices:

mats sundin
henrik zetterberg
rob brind''''amour
jarome iginla
joe sakic
alex oveckin
sidney crosby

ponder
Top Prospect

9 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  06:56:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Zetterberg is hot right now, but sid will be destroying him points-wise by the end of the year. I would say it's a tight race between crosby and iginla, but I took crosby.
Go to Top of Page

Guest8228
( )

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  07:50:40  Reply with Quote
Different day......ultimately the same topic. Each day as I log into my pool, my eyes drift down to see the topics on the forum. I pause to read a few each day and ultimately, they are the same - regardless of the subject.

"Who is the best player in the NHL?"

Then threads amass as people debate Crosby against a short list of others.....etc.

If that's all there is to this great game, then I am surely missing something.

One of you has a message about doing research if you're under 15 (good idea by the way). Each day seems like teenage chat-room fodder. "My guy rulz n ur guy sukz"

Anonymous opinion........
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  08:06:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest8228

Different day......ultimately the same topic. Each day as I log into my pool, my eyes drift down to see the topics on the forum. I pause to read a few each day and ultimately, they are the same - regardless of the subject.

"Who is the best player in the NHL?"

Then threads amass as people debate Crosby against a short list of others.....etc.

If that's all there is to this great game, then I am surely missing something.

One of you has a message about doing research if you're under 15 (good idea by the way). Each day seems like teenage chat-room fodder. "My guy rulz n ur guy sukz"

Anonymous opinion........

Great point.
I think I speak for a few of us when I say, please join and help improve the quality of discussion here. The only way it will happen is if more like yourself join.

"You are not your desktop wallpaper"
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  18:36:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Crosby. Not even close.
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  19:19:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with the guest, but half the time these are guest posts. At least Guest8228 has some common sense. C'mon, lets clean up these forums a bit. Enough with the who is the best player sh*t. And enough with stupid guest posts. I want to see some good, hockey talk.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2919
( )

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  19:33:18  Reply with Quote
Guest8228 doesnt know crap. Ales hemsky is the best right now
Go to Top of Page

ED11
Rookie

Canada
224 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  20:45:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hahaha, Hemsky. That's pretty funny. If by "right now" you mean this day then I'll say Zetterberg. Just because he is hot right now. But I don't think that he will keep it up all year. Sid will catch him. 4pts tonight for Sid. I think that that game woke him up. So I think that by the end of the season people will be saying that Sid is the best again.
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  21:05:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the whole "who is the best player" thing is getting old. But I still say Crosby.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4139
( )

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  10:40:21  Reply with Quote
k for all you haters eric bouginiki is by far the player that has the most skill and hockey sense
Go to Top of Page

Guest0571
( )

Posted - 11/03/2007 :  14:01:40  Reply with Quote
Wow no Jagr, no Lecavalier...Stop watching your team play and watch some hockey for once
Go to Top of Page

Guest2716
( )

Posted - 11/03/2007 :  17:11:05  Reply with Quote
Zetterberg owns but Crosby is my home town homie...
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2007 :  15:44:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How come Joe Thornton is not a selection? He is pretty up there for being a top player in the NHL today. He's big, hard to move off the puck, a good puck handler, and a great setup guy with a hard shot. He finishes top of the league points wise on a regular basis these days.

Also, Jagr should be on the list. Similar to Thornton in the ways I have mentioned.

Irvine

Edited by - irvine on 11/16/2007 15:45:02
Go to Top of Page

Guest9898
( )

Posted - 11/16/2007 :  19:29:54  Reply with Quote
I think they mean playing right now

Edited by - Beans15 on 11/16/2007 19:37:46
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2007 :  19:47:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As of tonight, Vincent Lecavalier. The guy is on FIRE!!
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2007 :  21:29:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9898

I think they mean playing right now

Yes, they are two of the best right now. :) Just because they are not leading this evening, doesn't mean at this time in day they are not two of the best in the NHL. heh.

Unless, it doesn't... perhaps I am wrong?

Irvine
Go to Top of Page

PuckDreams10
Top Prospect

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2007 :  08:28:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
although crosby is right now the best player in the league, he needs to work on his toughness. franky hes a p****. and needs to accept the fact hes going to get picked on. get over it.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4912
( )

Posted - 11/23/2007 :  09:52:01  Reply with Quote
OBVIOUSLY, The most DOMINANT player in the NHl right now is Ilya Kovalchuck who has an astonishing 19 goals in 20 games, hes the MVP so far, hands down, and what about Vincent Lecavalier
Go to Top of Page

Guest4912
( )

Posted - 11/23/2007 :  10:18:47  Reply with Quote
whoever made that post has minimal hockey knowledge, or was looking at a stat sheet from 1995!!!

where is kovie, vinny, thornton, even a guy eric staal!!
Go to Top of Page

Komisaurus
Top Prospect

Canada
57 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2007 :  10:55:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seriously Kovalchuk and Lecavalier are on crazy fire right now, tons fo assists and tons of goals each in a minimul amount of games, its insane how good they are playing, so by far either of the 2
Go to Top of Page

Guest9252
( )

Posted - 11/23/2007 :  12:52:09  Reply with Quote
MVP right now is the captain leading the best team in the NHL and second in goals scored...Daniel Alfredsson (i believe i have heard both CBC and TSN say that)

He is a real leader, no offense to Crosby who I am sure deserves to be captaining a team of players who have played in the NHL for years and years...wonder why the team is doing much worse than they are supposed to be...and I wonder what the Pittsburgh players think about Crosby being in charge...
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2007 :  13:52:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See, there is a difference between the MVP and the Best Player in the League. Last's year's Hart was the perfect example of that. The NHL define the League MVP as the player most valuable to their team. In that case, the trophy last year should have been given to Luongo, as if you took Luongo off the team, they were not very good. Crosby, although very important to the Pens, was not so much that without him they would have been horrible. Proof of that is this year. Vancouver is struggling as Luongo is not playing well. Crosby is playing brilliantly and the Pens are still stuggling.

Regardless, my point is the league's best player, the league MVP, and the Hart Trophy winner are not always the same player.

My vote, same as last year for the best player in the league is between Iginla and Lecavalier. Both are superb on both sides of the puck, play hard and are the leaders of their teams. Thornton and Crosby are close. If I had to pick just one, it would be Iginla. I just love the way the guy plays. He doesn't have a St. Louis type player to support him either.

Wayne or Bobby?? How about both!!!
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2007 :  08:13:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

See, there is a difference between the MVP and the Best Player in the League. Last's year's Hart was the perfect example of that. The NHL define the League MVP as the player most valuable to their team. In that case, the trophy last year should have been given to Luongo, as if you took Luongo off the team, they were not very good. Crosby, although very important to the Pens, was not so much that without him they would have been horrible. Proof of that is this year. Vancouver is struggling as Luongo is not playing well. Crosby is playing brilliantly and the Pens are still stuggling.

Disagree with this totally. Crosby has been great this year, not brilliant. I have not missed a Pens game yet, and I am his biggest fan (as you know), but can say he has not had his A+ game, just his A game. He is struggling to finish plays, both in terms of goals and making passes that result in goals. Not struggling like some guys struggle, but to the standards I watched last year, he is.

Take note - the Pens are going to go on a hot streak soon because he will be untouchable, but it hasn't happened yet.

Last year he was in on something like 44% of the Penguins goals over the course of the year, dude. That is HUGE. That is a Gretzky-like percentage. Plus, don't overlook that the NHL players themselves picked him as MVP by giving him the Pearson. Who knows the MVP better than the guys on the ice with and against him?
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2007 :  08:52:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PuckDreams10

although crosby is right now the best player in the league, he needs to work on his toughness. franky hes a p****. and needs to accept the fact hes going to get picked on. get over it.

Thanks for your totally meaningless, unsubstantiated, profane drivel.

So glad you joined.

Next time, make your point with thoughtful words and language, and we'll have something to discuss. Seriously.
Go to Top of Page

I HATE CROSBY
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
538 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2007 :  11:51:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fly4apuckguy

quote:

Disagree with this totally. Crosby has been great this year, not brilliant. I have not missed a Pens game yet, and I am his biggest fan (as you know), but can say he has not had his A+ game, just his A game. He is struggling to finish plays, both in terms of goals and making passes that result in goals. Not struggling like some guys struggle, but to the standards I watched last year, he is.

Take note - the Pens are going to go on a hot streak soon because he will be untouchable, but it hasn't happened yet.

Last year he was in on something like 44% of the Penguins goals over the course of the year, dude. That is HUGE. That is a Gretzky-like percentage. Plus, don't overlook that the NHL players themselves picked him as MVP by giving him the Pearson. Who knows the MVP better than the guys on the ice with and against him?

Hey Fly, the Pens DO NOT have the goaltending to dominate....It's too bad Fleury got thrown into the fire so quickly cause he could have been special (he still could be, but It'l be tough).The same thing happened in 1995 with Thibault..He was supposed to be the next big thing, but Quebec threw him in at the tender age of 18 and he had no time to develope. He then got thrown into the firepit of Montreal, and sadly it was all downhill from there....I fear the same fate for Fleury.

Sugar Ray over Hasek any day!
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2007 :  22:32:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by I HATE CROSBY

quote:
Originally posted by fly4apuckguy

quote:

Hey Fly, the Pens DO NOT have the goaltending to dominate....It's too bad Fleury got thrown into the fire so quickly cause he could have been special (he still could be, but It'l be tough).The same thing happened in 1995 with Thibault..He was supposed to be the next big thing, but Quebec threw him in at the tender age of 18 and he had no time to develope. He then got thrown into the firepit of Montreal, and sadly it was all downhill from there....I fear the same fate for Fleury.

Sugar Ray over Hasek any day!

Not sure when I said they were going to dominate...your words, not mine. I said they would soon go on a hot streak. In fact, if you'd read all my posts, I've gone on record saying they would struggle to make the playoffs this year because of their defensive liabilities.

Let's not forget Fleury is the league's youngest starter...still! I would not write him off just yet.

As for that hot streak...let's see....in their last two games they've beaten the Ottawa Senators and destroyed that hot dogger Kovalchuk and his Atlanta Thrashers.

Hmm...right again.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2007 :  08:46:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2 wins is a hot streak?? Wow Fly, you are amazing! Can you send my the winning lotto ticket number too???

Lecavalier has 38 points and the Lightning have 74 goals. That's 51%. We'll have to see if this continues, but it's still impressive. Crosby at 48.5% which is pretty sick too!

And to talk about Crosby showing an A or an A+ game, I don't care. I still believe that he is not as valuable to that team than other player are to theirs.

It's not his fault and not a knock against him. I just believe that for the past 20 ish years, the most productive offensive player gets all the hardware. Since the Pearson was first awarded (1970), every year except for 88-89 the same player won 2 of the 3 awards (Hart, Pearson, Art Ross). Doesn't that say something?? It does to me.

And don't kid yourself. The Pearson is voted on by a GROUP of NHL players, not all of them.

Go to Top of Page

Guest9324
( )

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  06:53:33  Reply with Quote
Ovechkin is obviously the best player as it stands for the NHL. Sid the Kid is good but not that good! prove me wrong!
Go to Top of Page

Datsyuk 1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
333 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  08:17:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why isn't Pavel Datsyuk on that list? He is right up there.
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  19:21:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You cant just say someone is the best becuase they score goals.
bieng the best player on a team could mean ANYTHING.
thats why i generally dislike these kind of topics
becuase they are so open-ended
you need to be mmore specific in your question
maybe who is the best all around player
or who is the best defensive player
asking who the best player is, is just way to big of a question.
thats my rant of the day

~~~GO STARS~~~
Go to Top of Page

Datsyuk 1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
333 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  21:48:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good point Semin. This is just a dumb topic.
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  05:51:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ps. there should also be an "other" option.
Those seven choices are certainly not all the good players out there.

~~~GO STARS~~~
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  11:21:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fellas, it's not a dumb topic at all. That is the point of it. Everyone has their reasons for ranking someone better. The idea behind this discussion is to open up debate and maybe in the process you can change a few minds or be enlightened by someone's point of view. Maybe you didn't think of something in a certain way.

If we narrow it down too far then what is the point of discussing it?
"Who has the most points right now?"
"who is the best goal scorer?"

These topics are not worthy of discussion because the answers are very clear! Stretch your mind you man! Challenge your conventional way of thinking.

Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  11:59:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leigh - you forgot to add,

"Add lets bring CHANGE to America!" I'm watching too much CNN lately maybe

In my mind, the best player in the NHL right now *, meaning the player I would want on my team more than anyone else, is Jarome Iginla. Vinny would be second. From there I'd debate the value of having a great defenceman like Lidstrom vs. an offensive superstar like Ovie vs. a potential FORCE like Big Joey T (as I have a feeling that one year soon Joe is finally going to break out of his playoff woes). Guys like Zetterberg and Alfie would be up there in the next tier.

* I'm leaving goalies aside and Sid too since he is injured

Go to Top of Page

Datsyuk 1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
333 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  15:59:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya well Leigh there is like a lot of these topics so in my in my opinion it's a "dumb topic".
Go to Top of Page

Kovy_Sniper
Top Prospect

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2008 :  15:15:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how is ilya kovalchuk not in that poll while mats sundin and rob brindamour is.... kovy has the dirtyest snipes and if hes given room, he is unstoppable

I've been to 2 Atlanta Thrasher games this year in Ottawa and have witnessed 5 Ilya Kovalchuk goals!
Go to Top of Page

colarox
Top Prospect

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2008 :  15:27:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
most points?
most goals?
ovechkin is the best ....no one else comes close

go thrasher go!
Go to Top of Page

Kovy_Sniper
Top Prospect

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2008 :  15:54:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
alfredsson is a king, deffinatly up there as one of the best in the game today and no one can say otherwise... hes got a dirty snipe and a HUGE heart, if the curse of a "european born player has never won a cup" ever ends, i think alfy is deffinatly the one to do it

what other swedish player has lead his team like alfredsson last playoffs... i mean damn he got 14 goals in 20 games.... thats hefty for any player in the playoffs

Edited by - Beans15 on 02/11/2008 17:45:08
Go to Top of Page

Kovy_Sniper
Top Prospect

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2008 :  15:56:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
let me edit my top post lol, the curse of a european CAPTAIN has never won a cup!!

Go to Top of Page

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  08:53:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I caught the dirty snipe from a prostitute in germany before
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  09:52:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MSC

I think I caught the dirty snipe from a prostitute in germany before

Oh that's what that is. I've been trying to explain it to my wife. I will let her know it's was a dirty snipe and she will understand.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page