Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Gretzky Video Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

goon
Rookie

Canada
113 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2006 :  10:16:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was feeling in an Oiler mood today so I searched for some Great One Highlights and found this video. Check it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFX0dVXNDXw&search=gretzky%20highlights

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2006 :  13:22:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great video.

Because I'm feeling like playing Devil's Advocate here, I pose one of the most golden questions in hockey: How would Gretzky have done in the 21st century? It's so interesting to think about, but really one that's hard to answer. Goalies more commonly used the "Butterfly" style of goaltending, defense won games (as opposed to how it was back in the 80's), teams trapped, goalie equipment was bigger, defensemen (for the most part) were bigger and stronger...

What do you think?
Go to Top of Page

slapshot
Rookie

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  09:34:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was a sweet compilation of Gretzky highlights. Hey bablaboushka, I think that you make a good point. It is so difficult to look back at players and predict how they would perform in the current era. I would think that his totals would be quite a bit lower than what they are, but he would still be head and shoulders above the rest of the league.
Go to Top of Page

pucker
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
398 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  10:18:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gretzky in any era would still be the greatest of all time. He would find a way to beat the buttefly style, he would have found a way to exploit the trap etc. He is so good it is insane and watching that clip was wicked. Sometimes I think he retired too early.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  13:38:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But what if he ended up on a team like Minnesota, Jersey or Calgary...?
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  21:32:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
woulda, coulda, shoulda. He was the greatest, is the greatest and will always be the greatest.

The guy only retired 6 seasons ago. One of which was a lock out and this year was under the new rules where he would have thrived. That leaves only 4 years without him. He's the man, I mean look at those moves. That fake shot move worked everytime.
Go to Top of Page

Jack Kayden 66
Top Prospect

Canada
61 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  08:37:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If he was on Minnesota, or Jersey he may not have won as many cups, but he probably would have had more goals than assists given that he would have had nobody to pass the puck to. On Calgary, he may well have been the same player with the same successes. I agree that either way he is tstill he best there is, the best therewas and the best thereever will be. No wait ... thats Bret Hart.
Go to Top of Page

Goose
Top Prospect

Canada
29 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2006 :  22:48:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gretz is the man!
Go to Top of Page

Goose
Top Prospect

Canada
29 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2006 :  22:54:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Kayden 66

If he was on Minnesota, or Jersey he may not have won as many cups,

I'm not so sure. When he was in Edmonton they started off as brand new "nobody" team (except him). They built a club around him...and alot was pure luck; the guys all matured at the same time and at the heart of it was the Great One. Put him on the North Stars and the result probably would have been pretty close to the same.
Go to Top of Page

goon
Rookie

Canada
113 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2006 :  10:03:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you joking? Are you seriously calling a dynasty pure luck? Wow. How many hall of famers were on the Oilers dynasty? Coffey, Anderson, Messier, Fuhr, Gretzky, Kurri. Enough said.
Go to Top of Page

davem
Top Prospect

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2006 :  21:02:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't imagine any of the highlights showed anyone trying to stop Gretzky. I'm sure the teams would make sure Baby Wayne got as many points in the "new" NHL as he got then.
Go to Top of Page

Ripley
PickupHockey Pro

USA
365 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2006 :  23:09:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Goon, I think what Goose is saying is, the fact that they all "peaked" at the same time was lucky. Getting there involves a great deal of luck. Once you've found the formula you try to maintain it. But regardless, at the center of it must be some core individuals, with Edmonton it was Gretzky. Throw him on another "upstart" team and they would try to build a team around him...with a little luck that would develop into a championship team too. It had to be easier to build a team around Gretzky than any player in history!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page