Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 HELP! Advice/Commentary needed Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Novie
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
452 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2006 :  05:15:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So here's the situation:

The girl that was residing in 10th (of 11) in our Office Hockey Pool had her employment terminated yesterday. In all likelihood, none of us will keep in touch with her, so even if she did put together a miracle run, there would be no way to let her know she won (and yes, there is some money on the line, $20 a head) Her team consists of some decent players:

Lecavalier, Heatley, Vanek, Brad Richards, Fernandez, Emery, Wellwood, Demitra, Chara, Ohlund, Ehrhoff, Kalinin

Two of us have considered having an NBA-style Lottery Draft to disperse her team. Do we keep her team intact? Help us out...what would YOU do?

Go Sens

Nordiques
Top Prospect

53 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2006 :  07:06:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nobody else want to take over her entire team for 10 bucks?

if not, leave that team like this, keep her new address and if she win, send the grand prize to her.

i didn't like the idea of a 'bankrupt' draft. Some of the participants will take advantage of it, whatever the formula chosen.

Edited by - Nordiques on 12/15/2006 07:08:58
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2006 :  07:45:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have an obligaition to keep in touch with her for the draft. She picked the team, she paid the money, that is her team. I say the team stays in tact and she gets any winnings coming to her at the end.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2006 :  11:52:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I completely agree with Beans. It's kind of like an unofficial contract you both agreed to when she gave you the money in exchange for her team. Nothing legally binding but that's the ethical thing to do.
Go to Top of Page

spearbelly
Top Prospect

Canada
98 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2006 :  21:01:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This should work .If she wins prize $, hunt her down without her knowledge and develope immediate contact with her new neighbour to her left.He in turn makes arrangements for 75% of her $ to go to the neighbour on her right.Both neighbours conspire inviting her to a "Welcome Wagon" type BBQ bash so the 3 of them get to know each other as newly aquainted neighbours.You send the $ to the "Left" side neighbour.He keeps 25 % and sends 75% to the other neighbour as per prior arrangements . They keep the $ ( As a SURPRISE ) .So far so simple.She is now excited to meet her 2 gentleman neighbors and agrees , per their suggestion, to put in , say , $80 to cover the cost of the steak and beers because she doesn't want the BBQ party cancelled because she's extremely homely (or why else would she get fired ) and for her it's a relatively inexpensive way to meet a couple of nice guys (plus she can have her share of food and drink.).....And , they keep the $ (As a SURPRISE ).Problem solved.She's happy.Novie's glad to have dilemma resolved,and once neighbour on the right reimburses 25% back to neighbour on left,................every body wins.

Edited by - spearbelly on 12/18/2006 23:57:34
Go to Top of Page

Ryan Harper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2006 :  08:21:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by spearbelly

This should work .If she wins prize $, hunt her down without her knowledge and develope immediate contact with her new neighbour to her left.He in turn makes arrangements for 75% of her $ to go to the neighbour on her right.Both neighbours conspire inviting her to a "Welcome Wagon" type BBQ bash so the 3 of them get to know each other as newly aquainted neighbours.You send the $ to the "Left" side neighbour.He keeps 25 % and sends 75% to the other neighbour as per prior arrangements . They keep the $ ( As a SURPRISE ) .So far so simple.She is now excited to meet her 2 gentleman neighbors and agrees , per their suggestion, to put in , say , $80 to cover the cost of the steak and beers because she doesn't want the BBQ party cancelled because she's extremely homely (or why else would she get fired ) and for her it's a relatively inexpensive way to meet a couple of nice guys (plus she can have her share of food and drink.).....And , they keep the $ (As a SURPRISE ).Problem solved.She's happy.Novie's glad to have dilemma resolved,and once neighbour on the right reimburses 25% back to neighbour on left,................every body wins.

Ok, kinda weird.

"Some people skate to the puck. I skate to where the puck is going to be."
~Wayne Gretzky
Go to Top of Page

Novie
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
452 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2006 :  08:29:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So the draft went ahead!

Each team 1 through 5 got 1 ball each in the lottery, 6 through 10 got 2-6 balls, respectively.

And with a 4.17% chance of winning the draft (with 1 ball out of 24), I got first pick....Crosby, Malkin, Spezza....welcome your new teammate, Heatley.

PS - We voted within the league as to have the draft or not...It was 8-2 in favor...I, oddly enough, was against it but I am not going to complain!

Go Sens

Edited by - Novie on 12/19/2006 08:30:17
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2006 :  08:40:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Novie

So the draft went ahead!

Each team 1 through 5 got 1 ball each in the lottery, 6 through 10 got 2-6 balls, respectively.

And with a 4.17% chance of winning the draft (with 1 ball out of 24), I got first pick....Crosby, Malkin, Spezza....welcome your new teammate, Heatley.

PS - We voted within the league as to have the draft or not...It was 8-2 in favor...I, oddly enough, was against it but I am not going to complain!

Go Sens

NIce! If you are not in first, you will be soon.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6916
( )

Posted - 12/19/2006 :  08:45:40  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

You have an obligaition to keep in touch with her for the draft. She picked the team, she paid the money, that is her team. I say the team stays in tact and she gets any winnings coming to her at the end.

I agree 100%. It's an honour system. stay legit or no one will want to pool with you. It's the law of the land.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2006 :  08:53:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Novie, you should have held out for that person to stay in the draft. That person put thier money in and they picked the team. You and your draft had no right to dismantle her team without her consent and giving her money back. Even if it's $1, that is her money and her team. Did she get her money back?? Did you ask her if she wanted to stay in?? If not, I would be ashamed!

Go to Top of Page

Blubberboy
Rookie

155 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2006 :  17:38:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know
If you or anyone likes her as a friend, you should tell her.
You should keep her account.
The NBA Draft sounds good too.
MAKE SURE YOU TELL HER THOUGH.

Go Canucks
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page