Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Poll - New Buyer for Pens? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2337 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  13:55:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
The sale of the Penguins to Canadian businessman Jim Balsillie has fallen through. Mark Cuban was recently quoted saying: 'I already know that not creating my own ownership group to buy the Penguins will go down as a huge mistake.' He has a 2nd chance - would Mark Cuban be good for the NHL?

Choices:

Yes
No

Canucklehead
Top Prospect

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  15:02:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some info on Cuban:
His blog: http://www.blogmaverick.com/
Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Cuban

Seems like he'd be more harm than help to me. But then I'm just hoping to move more NHL teams back to Canada where they belong!
Go to Top of Page

Ryan Harper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  15:13:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He sure is an animated owner. Something that the NHL is lacking - thats for sure. It is obvious that even though the NHL is nothing without Canada, the US is still the target market for Bettman and guess what? Americans love crazy people like Cuban. He makes the news - therefore the NHL makes the news. Right now the NHL never makes the news in the US.

I hear you about wanting more Canadian franchises, but I wouldn't hold your breath. Although the reason for the Balsillie deal falling through has not been made public, I have read that it had to do with the NHL not allowing the team to move to Ontario.

"Some people skate to the puck. I skate to where the puck is going to be."
~Wayne Gretzky
Go to Top of Page

B-rett10
Rookie

Canada
186 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  19:16:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
G-ya
Go to Top of Page

Ripley
PickupHockey Pro

USA
365 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  21:17:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in agreement with Ryan. I think if you want America to like the game you have to bring in big name owners like Cuban who bring in a fresh perspective and big time passion.

Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2337 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2006 :  08:43:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by B-rett10

G-ya

Unless you have something to say that has to do with hockey, please save the commentary.

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2006 :  11:11:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love him or Hate Him, Cuban says what most of us are saying. He may be a bit over the top with it and he does dig for as much media exposure as possible, but listen to his comments. He's honest and Passionate. Something that would never hurt the NHL. Most of the time he makes a comment, it's something I either agree with or heard someone else say. I'd like him in the league!
Go to Top of Page

ultimatetitman
Rookie

Canada
244 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2006 :  14:22:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Harper

...Although the reason for the Balsillie deal falling through has not been made public, I have read that it had to do with the NHL not allowing the team to move to Ontario.

It wasn't that he wanted to move the team to Ontario, it was that he wanted a new arena, and wanted Pittsburg to pay for it. He threatened to move the team only if a new arena wasn't built. The NHL wanted him to commit to staying in Pittsburg whether a new arena was built or not!
He has not said he wanted to move the team to Ontario, BUT has secured some rights to Copps Colliseum in Hamilton for "unspecified" reasons. Rumour has it that Kansas City had tabled a very tempting offer to move the team there.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2751
( )

Posted - 12/19/2006 :  16:23:17  Reply with Quote
Boston Bruins Are Going To Win The Cup! I Know IT!
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2006 :  17:35:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2751, please stay on topic. I deleted your two posts after that one because they too were completely unrelated.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page