Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Playoff teams from the Northwest? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lrocker
Top Prospect

Canada
26 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  08:04:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
How many teams will make the playoffs from the Northwest division???

I realize one is a 'technical' guarantee by winning the division, and I feel the division is too good for just one, so I will be surprised if only one gets in, but what are your thoughts?

Also, add in your comments who you think will make the playoffs and why, or why not

"Bye Bye!" John McLaughlin

Choices:

One
Two
Three
Four
Five

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  08:08:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would say three, with one coming in at 3rd and the others at 6th and 7th or 7th and 8th. It's arguable the toughest division in hockey. I think Edmonton and Calgary will be in, and the other, I will say Minnesota.
Go to Top of Page

pucker
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
398 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  09:34:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I would say three, with one coming in at 3rd and the others at 6th and 7th or 7th and 8th. It's arguable the toughest division in hockey. I think Edmonton and Calgary will be in, and the other, I will say Minnesota.

Is it the toughest? I think it is a division with 5 equally mediocre teams - except for maybe Calgary of late.

Since Dallas, Anaheim, San Jose, Detroit, and Nashville should all make the dance, then that leaves 3 spots. I thnk Calgary (even though I hate them more than any other team in this league) will win the Northwest. So that leaves two spots for teams like Vancouver, Colorado, Edmonton, and Minnesota to fight for. Plus dont count out Chicago or CBJ.

My prediction:

Anaheim
Nashville
Calgary
SJ
Detroit
Dallas
Edmonton
Vancouver
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  10:19:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pucker, I agree with your standings except for Vancouver, I would throw in Minnesota instead. They should be getting Gaborik back around New Year's and then things will turn around. Not that they need him to finish ahead of Vancouver though...

The Northwest is definitely not the toughest division. It might be the closest, but again like pucker said, it's a bunch of tightly-knit mediocre teams. Despite LA and Phoenix, I think the trio of Anaheim-San Jose-Dallas makes the Pacific the toughest by far. They're 1st, 4th and 8th in the league respectively.

So basically my answer to this question is 3.

Edited by - bablaboushka on 12/21/2006 10:25:16
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  11:38:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I said three, and I'm guessing they're gonna be Minnesota, Edmonton, and Colorado.
Go to Top of Page

Trevman12
Rookie

Canada
182 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  14:56:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailova

I said three, and I'm guessing they're gonna be Minnesota, Edmonton, and Colorado.

I don't think that Colorado are good enough to make it this year.
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  15:26:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
True...I only included them cuz of Sakic. I almost put Vancouver but I wasn't sure.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  17:05:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I may be bias since I live in Edmonton and I see the NW almost every night. You can look at every other division in the West and there are "cellar dwellers." Yes, Dallas, San Jose and Anahiem are all in the top 10 in the league. They also each get 16 games againsts lowly Phoenix and Los Angeles. The proof in that is Phoenix is 2-10-1 against other teams in the Pacific and Los Angeles is 5-11-2. That's 30% of the points for San Jose, Anahiem, and Dallas. Also, the NW has handed more losses to those teams than any other divison in the league.

I think it is a little unfair to say they are 5 mediocre teams. There is only one other division in hockey where every team is over .500 (North East). Try switching a team from the Northwest into another divison. If you give a team like Calgary or Minnesota 16 or 24 games against below average teams, they are also in the top 10 in the league.

(I can't comment on Edmonton right now because they are on a slide. If they don't fix it soon, they are in trouble.)

I will not dispute the talent in the Pacific. Those three teams deserve to be the top in the league. They also have to play each other 16 games so that is tough. I just don't think it's a fair comparison with 16 games against below .500 teams. That's an easier road that the NW doesn't have.

Edited by - Beans15 on 12/21/2006 17:25:49
Go to Top of Page

B-rett10
Rookie

Canada
186 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  20:25:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I Said four, Colorado aren't that strong.
Go to Top of Page

B-rett10
Rookie

Canada
186 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  20:26:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If Minnesota get Gaborik back they will be a very strong team.
Go to Top of Page

Blubberboy
Rookie

155 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  18:07:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2 or 3.
That is what I think.

Go Can's
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic