Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Poll - Should the NHL Institute Bigger Nets? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  13:29:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let the game be ... it will only cause controversy in stats and what not ... just leave it
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  14:18:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is getting out of hand. The NHL has seen dead eras before and will see them again. OK, so for the time being the NHL may be defensive minded -- what of it? Why do the forwards deserve to have rules made for them? What about the poor goalies or defencemen?

I can see a day where any half decent NHLer will be netting as many as Rocket Richard did. Why change the rules? Why not just be a little patient, sit back, and watch history unfold?

All these new teams, all these new rules -- they are not needed and they are destroying tradition, in my humble opinion.

The shootout is pointless other than for fans, penalties are not what they used to be... The NHL is trying to hard to make things perfect without taking the time to let things settle, in my opinion.

Take two minutes to join the PickUpHockey Cyber Cup!
http://www.pickuphockey.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3820#51395

Go to Top of Page

bertrand19
Top Prospect

Canada
8 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  14:37:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yet another rediculous idea from Gary Bettmen. whats he trying to do play soccer, and dosent that have less goals than hockey....what an idiot!!
Go to Top of Page

bertrand19
Top Prospect

Canada
8 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  14:38:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
maybe it would make andrew raycroft play better, o wait he sucks that bad
Go to Top of Page

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  15:56:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It used to be dump the puck off to your team mate and then impede the progress of your check and then the guy you gave the puck to shuffles it back to a third guy as you impeded your check allowing the last guy with the puck to scoot right in unmolested. You can't do that stuff anymore. The result is simply goal scoring and scoring chances are down. The only thing that keeps the scoring even close to what it was before the new NHL is the fact there are more power plays now. Five on five play has become downright boring on too many nights this season. I think the glory days of the NHL with the Orr's and Gretzky's and others is over and making the nets bigger is not going to make a significant difference. The Canadian game has been taken away from us and will never return. Thanks again Gary!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

mytor4
Rookie

Canada
134 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  19:43:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think they should take for instance a 1st yr Roy with his EQ and see how much net is being covered % wise. Then take a todays Giguere with his EQ and see how much net he is covering % wise what you have left is the % the shooters have. For arguement sake lets just say Roy covers 60% of the net that leaves 40% for the shooters. Then resize the nets accordenley when Giguere is in the nets so the shooters still have that 40% to shot at. I don't like the ideal of bigger nets but i hate the bigger EQ more. As Ken Dryden said todays goalie use there EQ more to stop the shot than using it for protection. I Iwould like the shooters of today to have the same amount of open area to shoot at as the ones from the early 80's. I'm one that is for either bring down all that oversized EQ that a lot of goalie 's are using today or if forced be the goalies upsize the nets. To be fair give the goalies a choice.No debating they pick which option they HAVE TO GO WITH.

57 career losses,46 shutouts and 5 vezina trophys.6 Stanley Cup rings in 8 yrs

Edited by - mytor4 on 04/01/2008 19:53:19
Go to Top of Page

mytor4
Rookie

Canada
134 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  19:51:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest7235

im against it it would take those amazing saves and goals away.

Problem with this quote there are hardly any amazing saves your trying to talk about . Most save are just cover as much of the net and hope the puck hits you.God theres nothing i hate more than seeing a player raise his stick to take a slapshot and the goalie drops to his knees long before the player commits on the shot.Saves like that look so amaturish. Where has all the skill of playing net gone to when size is more important than reflexes and ability . Could you see the great Bobby Hull comming down the wing and unleashing his great booming shot knowing it' would take a miracule to score from there. thats what hockey is missing today ,down the wing and blasting a great shot pass the goalies, it's part of the game. i agree scoring doesn't make the game but scoring CHANCES is all what the game is about and that is now left to one spot on the ice -roughly the slot.

57 career losses,46 shutouts and 5 vezina trophys.6 Stanley Cup rings in 8 yrs

Edited by - mytor4 on 04/01/2008 19:59:57
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page