Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Eberle called up to Springfield Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

polishexpress
PickupHockey Pro

525 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  15:24:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eberle has been assigned to the Springfield Falcons.

Do you think Tambellini & co will call him up to the Oilers?

(Personally, I hope they don't, so they don't ruin him until next year)

If they do call him up, at least he will gain experience, and some Oiler fans will tune in to watch the Oilers, not to watch the other team.

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  17:02:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If he gets anything, it's a game or two. There is not impact to his overall contract as it will be less than 20 games. They will still have him for 3 years at his entry level deal not counting this season. However I believe that if he plays at all, it will count as a year towards the 7 he has to wait to be a UFA.

I think this is more to give him some pro experience in the AHL, not the NHL.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  20:19:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Beans. It's prob to introduce him to hockey that will be a step up from what he's used to. Bigger, stronger, faster, more skilled oposition. The Canucks did this with Cody Hodgson last season (and may do it again i heard this year now that his back has improved) where they brought him up to Mannitoba for the playoffs once his junior team was finished.
Go to Top of Page

Gusteroni
Rookie

Canada
225 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2010 :  12:37:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think Eberle has any more to prove in the AHL or in the minors and he belongs in the NHL. Last year he did go to Falcons after the WHL season was done and he registered 9 points in 9 games played. This kid racked up 106 points in only 57 games playing for the Regina Pats this year. I do believe the Oilers did the right thing by having him go back to juniors one more year so he could dominate.

I believe the Oilers can have Eberle up for a maximum of 9 games before his entry-level contract begins as from what I understand it activates at the 10 game mark and his entry-level salary would become a part of their overall cap.

IMO the Oilers owe it to their fans to have him up for those 9 games. Springfield Falcons will no longer be the Oilers affiliate at the end of this season as they are moving to Oklahoma City so they don't owe those fans anything.

I don't really see why the Oil wouldn't give their fans a glimmer of hope so they could look forward to next season. Eberle is ready for the NHL IMO and it's either he goes to a losing AHL team not making the playoffs or give him the experience against teams that are trying to make the playoffs on a losing NHL team, I don't think it will hurt him in the long run.

When Hell freezes over, I'll play hockey there too.
Go to Top of Page

impropriety
Top Prospect

Canada
78 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2010 :  12:46:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think they've learned their lesson with Brule. A former first-rounder with CBJ, he was given too much responsibility too early on a middling team. It pretty much destroyed him until he was picked up by the Oilers, who were able to give him sheltered minutes on the 3rd line where he belongs as a rookie.

To me, the deciding factor is which team will be able to give up a roster spot for a player like Eberle who might only play 10 minutes per night. If that's Springfield, great, send him there. If that's Edmonton, great, but don't screw up his development because you feel you owe something to the fans.

I think he should get a couple games (1 or 2, not the 9 that he's eligible to burn in the NHL without consequence) and a fair look at training camp next year. If he brings it like he did this past year, then I completely agree that it's time to bring him up. His chances get better as they move a smurf or two in the off-season (read: Cogliano, Nilsson).

Edited by - impropriety on 03/17/2010 12:52:27
Go to Top of Page

Guest2247
( )

Posted - 03/17/2010 :  13:26:07  Reply with Quote
i dont agree calling up players a year early (on a non-playoff team ) will ruin them. most of these players who start a new season with their team are not prepared for the NHL. i believe 10 or so games at the tail end of a season will make them realize just how hard they have to work in the off season to prepare themselves for the up-coming season, give them some INSIGHT of whats coming up for them.
Go to Top of Page

grandfarfadet
Top Prospect

Canada
18 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2010 :  13:57:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It will all depend of his play in the AHL. If after 7-8 or 9 games, he dominates and is the MVP in Springfield, you will likely see him with a Oilers shirt for between 2 and 4 games, just to give him a taste. But, don't expect him to have an impact right now. He might impress, but he won't dominate in the NHL right now. Maybe later.

John Kordic is the living proof that drugs can kill! -Traduction of a famous Jean Perron sentence
Go to Top of Page

impropriety
Top Prospect

Canada
78 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2010 :  14:04:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Per Bob Stauffer, Tambellini states Eberle will not play with the Oil this year.
Go to Top of Page

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  09:29:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I cannot honestly see him giong to the NHL yet. He needs some more experience playing against men, thats the whole reason why he got sent to the AHL. I can see him making the jump next year. Might wanna try and throw him on a line with whoever they pick as the first overall pick this year.

Flames for cup...eventually.
Go to Top of Page

impropriety
Top Prospect

Canada
78 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  14:22:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@ hockster

I don't think that would be a great choice. I think a new kid line (based on recent experience) would just be setting them up to fail.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  15:21:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by impropriety

@ hockster

I don't think that would be a great choice. I think a new kid line (based on recent experience) would just be setting them up to fail.

That is exactly what the Oilers need!! One more year of complete futility. Get another 1st overall pick to join Eberle, Svensson, Omark, a healthy Hemsky, Gagner, Cogliano, and Smid.

That is a core of a solid team. Plus, putting Eberle-Hall-Svensson does nothing but give them experience and Chemisrty while rebuilding.
Go to Top of Page

impropriety
Top Prospect

Canada
78 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  15:25:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If they're planning to tank for another couple years, why not shoot the works and trade Hemsky+ to Boston for Toronto's first? You get your draft pick again next year, and end up with Hall AND Seguin.

PS I'm not entirely convinced Omark plays with the Oil next year.

Edited by - impropriety on 03/18/2010 15:31:43
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  18:51:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by impropriety

If they're planning to tank for another couple years, why not shoot the works and trade Hemsky+ to Boston for Toronto's first? You get your draft pick again next year, and end up with Hall AND Seguin.

PS I'm not entirely convinced Omark plays with the Oil next year.

It'd take more than Hemsky don't ya think? I mean, would the Bruins trade Hall next year for Hemsky? Prob not.
Go to Top of Page

polishexpress
PickupHockey Pro

525 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  21:00:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But right now, Hemsky for Boston's first rounder from TO would be unwise.

The Oilers would lose proven talent for unproven one in whomever they would pick.

On the other hand, I don't think Boston has the cap space to fit Hemsky, I might be wrong, though. And, Alex raised a good point, next year, if the Bruins would pick Hall or Seguin, depending on performance, would not give up a potential future star for just Hemsky.
Go to Top of Page

impropriety
Top Prospect

Canada
78 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  21:25:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The problem is that, with the way things are going and Hemsky entering his prime, he might not want to stick it out on a team that has at least 3 years left in a major rebuild. Hemsky's UFA after 2.

Boston could see it as an opportunity to unload some salary (something like Ryder) and the Oil could toss in their 2nd (which is effectively a late 1st this year).

Edited by - impropriety on 03/18/2010 21:26:01
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  21:43:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Firstly, I would suspect the Oilers will resign Hemsky to another 4-5 year deal in the season before he becomes a UFA.

Secondly, he has never been a PPG player and unless he does that for BOTH of this next 2 season, he won't get more than the $4-$5 million a season the Oilers will offer.

Thirdly, in 2 seasons if any of the youngsters step up, the Oilers may opt to not resign Hemsky. Let's face it. He is a very good hockey player, but he is no franchise corner stone. With Hemsky as the Oilers best player, what have they accomplished??

Finally, Boston will not give up a near sure #2 draft pick for anything right now. They are against the cap and need young cheap talent, not expensive talent. No way they trade a guy they will get production out of for 3 years at $875k a year for a injury proned assists machine at $4 million cap hit when they already have Marc Savard.

Never going to happen.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page