Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Playing with fire.... Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  16:59:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wondering if anyone else out there has gotten the chance yet to read Theo Fleury's autobigraphy yet?

I found it to be bit like what he described his life like, meandering all over the place, without a lot of control. It was an interesesting read though, he was indeed a crazy, messed up dude, who thankfully found salvation within himself, because he was all over the place....

Good enough read, brings out all the emotions, empathy, anger, sadness, disgust, awe.

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  17:16:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually read it a couple of weeks ago while sick at home with a cold. It took me about 5 hours to read it, so you should all be able to gather from that it is not a hard read. I found the first part pretty interesting. But once he got into the portion of him playing in the NHL and drinkings/doing drugs, I found it very self-appreciating. I found there to be a bunch of name dropping that really wasn't needed and I found the amount of cursing through the book was not needed.

I also agree that it was all over the map and I found that some of the things don't add up. He talked at one point about a hat trick he got in the playoffs as a rookie and then later about being hungover and scoring his first NHL hat trick??

Ultimately, the book wasn't what I was expecting. I was expecting a book that talked about his situation and how to relate it to kids who have or are going through the same thing. But I really did see that. I only recall a couple of points in the book where he made mention of kids coming forward and that was really it.

Another thing I had heard about is that there is people he threw under the bus. I didn't get that at all. There are some people that he didn't like and called down, but it was in a honest, personal way. There were a few points where he specifically left out names as to ensure to not get a guy in trouble or name someone for doing something they shouldn't have been doing.

Really, I had more respect for Fleury before I read the book. I just found that the drug and drinking was somewhat glorified,almost like he was proud of it.

But then again, mine is only one person's opinion.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  20:21:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have yet to read it but will at some point i'm sure. Regardless, i have sympathy for the guy after all he went through. Sad but at the same time, amazing that he made it to the show!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page