Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 NHL Top 10 - Goalies Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Utemin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
451 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  11:59:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9263

Why are so few people not giving Tuukka Rask any respect? I realize I can't make an argument for years gone by, but for this year I believe he is one of the top 5 goalies in the league.

He leads the league in G.A.A at 1.99
He leads the leaugue in SV% at .930
He has a winning record of 19-12-9

Perhaps the most amazing stat is that he does this all on the worst offensive team in the league. I believe that if Boston scored at last years rate and Rask had 60 or more starts he we would be talking 50+wins.

If you argue that he plays on a defence first team(which is true) it doesn't explain why Thomas (Vezina winner) is sub 500

I really doubt Boston is the worst offensive team in the league, and how does that hurt his record? The Defense on Boston is strong while offensively they have lucic and bergeron making there defense a whole lot stronger. Frankly I don't give a damn about goals against average comparing Huet has a good one and he sucks _____. Lets just say Rask is lucky like Tim Thomas was last year.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  12:09:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Utemin

quote:
Originally posted by Guest9263

Why are so few people not giving Tuukka Rask any respect? I realize I can't make an argument for years gone by, but for this year I believe he is one of the top 5 goalies in the league.

He leads the league in G.A.A at 1.99
He leads the leaugue in SV% at .930
He has a winning record of 19-12-9

Perhaps the most amazing stat is that he does this all on the worst offensive team in the league. I believe that if Boston scored at last years rate and Rask had 60 or more starts he we would be talking 50+wins.

If you argue that he plays on a defence first team(which is true) it doesn't explain why Thomas (Vezina winner) is sub 500

I really doubt Boston is the worst offensive team in the league, and how does that hurt his record? The Defense on Boston is strong while offensively they have lucic and bergeron making there defense a whole lot stronger. Frankly I don't give a damn about goals against average comparing Huet has a good one and he sucks _____. Lets just say Rask is lucky like Tim Thomas was last year.

Actually, Boston has the worst offense in the league considering goals per game. They are dead last at 2.36/game. Next is Edmonton(2.46), FLA(2.49), CGY(2.51), and PHX(2.56). Compare that to the top 5 in the league of Pitt (2.97), SJS(3.14), CHi(3.14), Van(3.22), and Wash(3.80).

Defensively, Bos is the best in the game at 2.35 goal against per game. They also allow the 11th fewest shots.

I like Rask, I don't think he's lucky. But, there is a benefit to playing on the best defensive team in the league. He is a big part of that but not the only part.

Regardless, 50 wins is still making me laugh.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2760
( )

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  12:35:59  Reply with Quote
As for 50 wins, I agree i am a bit off based but i definately think he can get 35 - 40 in the next couple of years, he has been that good.
How does the fact that Boston is the worst offensive team affect his record. Gee, I don't know , lets ask Jose Theodore.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  12:48:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest2760

As for 50 wins, I agree i am a bit off based but i definately think he can get 35 - 40 in the next couple of years, he has been that good.
How does the fact that Boston is the worst offensive team affect his record. Gee, I don't know , lets ask Jose Theodore.

At the same time, it's hard to simply disregard that Rask also plays on the team with the best defense.

35 seems to be a reasonable number as well. However, we have all watched goalies go from brillaint to average in a short period of time. Thomas and Theodore both come to mind.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  14:47:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15
However, we have all watched goalies go from brillaint to average in a short period of time. Thomas and Theodore both come to mind.

How 'bout Jim Carey? Or Andrew Raycroft? Here's hoping Raycroft finds the magic tonight!!
Go to Top of Page

bounty2k3
Top Prospect

Canada
33 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  20:32:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not soley based on stats, but there are stats to back up the goaltenders that I have chosen for my top 10. I mean I would much rather have a goalie on my team that's solid and isnt mainly flukes.

Alex116, no, I wasn't much of a fan of his lol I know he might have the numbers to back him up, but look at the teams that were in front of him, except maybe the buffalo days.

GO HAWKS GO!!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest2284
( )

Posted - 04/03/2010 :  11:24:04  Reply with Quote
Beans, i`ll say the the same thing to you now as i did in another topic...you are TOO much a stats guy..who cares ?? until Kipper and Nabakov take their team to another level in the playoffs, ( which is only what matters ) they are BOTH nothing but regular season good goalies...and thats it.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2010 :  11:40:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How far is another level.

Who the heck was the guy in net for Calgary when they went to game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final??? That fellow who has a 1.85 GAA and .928 save percentage in 26 games??

What was his name again???

Oh, and that same season, who played the Flames in the West finals?? It might have been San Jose but maybe I am wrong. Still trying to figure out who has been San Jose's goalie in the 5 playoff series they have won since 04??

I mean, let's get serious. Nabokov and Kipprusoff names are in that list of 15 goalies with more than 40 wins in a season Ever.

Luongo hasn't done squat in the playoffs. Neither has Lundqvist or Miller or Bryzgalov, or Vokoun, or Backstom.

If playoff success was the key indicator, there are only two good goalies in the NHL remaining. Fleury and Ward
Go to Top of Page

Guest2284
( )

Posted - 04/03/2010 :  12:58:22  Reply with Quote
True i will agree Kipper had 1 good playoff run, but Calgary always seems to be a team...this is their year, but usually it ends up being not so. Too much dependence on Inglina i guess, with no 1st line center.
As for San Jose, always a disappointment come playoff time
Go to Top of Page

Iceman778
Top Prospect

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2010 :  09:28:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not in sequence
Go to Top of Page

Guest0963
( )

Posted - 05/15/2010 :  19:19:20  Reply with Quote