Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 The best of the no shows Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

strech that twine
Top Prospect

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2010 :  20:12:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
O.K....so who is going to be the most improved team next year..
I can here Leaf nation already !

Choices:

Carolina
Tampa Bay
New York Rangers
Toronto
Calgary
Anaheim
Dallas
Edmonton
Other

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2010 :  05:01:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A little early for this off-season chatter, but still, it's a good topic.

Right off the bat, you would have to go with the biggest disappointment of the year not to make the playoffs - Calgary. And, I would say that on paper, Tampa Bay looks really good too . . . but a lot of this does depend on summer signings as well. Teams that played well down the stretch and solidified some weaknesses down the stretch (Toronto - better goaltending, Carolina - better goaltending, NY Rangers - better goaltending . . . hmm, there's a pattern here) may make a few key signing here and there to make a real contender. Toronto is a couple of first line players away from what could be a contender with solidified goaltending, a healthy Komisarek, and a D that has played with each other now. Carolina is in the same boat, maybe only one first liner away and Staal and Ward having a better season, etc.

But, I'll stick with Calgary, despite them being in a tough Western division, as they have a great line-up that unerachieved, and they are all still there. I would still expect them to contend for the division lead, and get at least a 5th/4th spot.

I can't really see that happening for any of the other teams unless an absolutely perfect season happens and everything goes right (like Phoenix this year). Hey, it can happen - but not very likely.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2010 :  11:01:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My choice is going to be Tampa Bay.

The Lightning have 3 key pieces up front. Lecavlier, Stamkos & St. Luis.

Ryan Malone I would consider close to a key piece too, I like how this guy plays. Gives it his all, game in and game out.

With that being said, the Lightning have a couple of things they need to change. And if they do it, they can compete.

A) They need a real #1 Goaltender. Mike Smith isn't this for me, never has been. Never will be.

Nittymaaki is too inconsistent. He's a backup, not a starter.

B) Solidify their defence. They have a young Victor Hedman. They need to build around him on the backend, and they can compete.

C) Secondary scoring. They have some, but just not enough. They need Lecavlier to step up his game, and play how he can. Effort levels aren't there in my opinion.

If they focus in the offseason on D and Goaltending, i think they can make a contender out of this team with a couple of minor acquisitions.

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

polishexpress
PickupHockey Pro

525 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2010 :  16:20:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I say Edmonton, as my avatar indicates that I should at least hope so, and, for the following reasons:

1) 1st round draft pick: hall or seguin. Both are dynamic players.

2) How many players will be back from injury? Khabi(if he's not in jail for DUI) Hemsky, Smid, Souray(will be traded?)

3)Prospects like Eberle, Svenson-Pajaarvi etc will have a chance to play on the team

4) The team will be able to dump some more bad contracts(hopefully) in the off-season

So although Edmonton will not be a playoff team and miles from being a contender(this is the only way Edmonton and the contender will be in one sentence!), they will also be mile from being the worst team in the NHL by 14pts and out of the the post season in Dec-Jan.

Edited by - polishexpress on 04/28/2010 16:21:12
Go to Top of Page

umteman
PickupHockey Pro

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2010 :  16:48:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll say Edmonton also simply because it would be hard to finish worse than this season.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
Go to Top of Page

redneck76ca
Rookie

186 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2010 :  17:03:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I voted for the Leafs but I think that the Oilers will be much improved next season as well.

With both of these teams the room for improvement and gains is big ans therefore they have the greatest opportunity to become the most improved. Burke will make moves this year and the Oil will get important players back in their lineup for the year combined with Tyler or Taylor, and both these teams could potentialy make the playoffs.

No bias here.
Go to Top of Page

FLYING -V
Top Prospect

69 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2010 :  17:06:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i would say st. louis, young skilled team only going to get better
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2010 :  19:20:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really can't see Edmonton going far upward with the youth movement, and if the Oil are hoping their now healthy aging star goalie will propel them upwards . . . I think they are dreaming. Still a weak defence, and there will be no big signings with the strong youth movement.

I see another year in the bottom three in the league, actually.

It could be Toronto, but I am going into next season with lower expectations after getting burned last season . . . it was tough to be a Leafs fan.

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2010 :  19:24:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

I really can't see Edmonton going far upward with the youth movement, and if the Oil are hoping their now healthy aging star goalie will propel them upwards . . . I think they are dreaming. Still a weak defence, and there will be no big signings with the strong youth movement.

I see another year in the bottom three in the league, actually.

It could be Toronto, but I am going into next season with lower expectations after getting burned last season . . . it was tough to be a Leafs fan.

I agree that it will be another tough year in Edmonton. One more season to drop some of the garbage deals and one year for the youth movement to grab hold of the team leadership piece. The defense is weak and there isn't anyone good enough or worth enough to chase after on the UFA market.

Although, I completely disagree about the aging goalie bit. Khabibulin still has 1-2 very good years left. Unfortunately, by the time the Oilers are playoff bound again, Khabibulin will be a back up at best.

It will be a painfully year in Edmonton again, but another early draft pick again next year should just about complete the rebuild.
Go to Top of Page

CaliforniaSeal
Top Prospect

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2010 :  21:37:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
St. Louis, because they have a lot of young talent, they will probably go after a free agent and they're my favourite team.

No cup for Dino, what a shame
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page