Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Europe vs. North America Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

I HATE CROSBY
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
538 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  01:00:34  Show Profile
This post probably won't earn me many fans here but it has got to be said. People will argue to the death about who is better, Crosby or Ovechkin. That's fine. However, I hope all of us in North America have a little more respect for hockey players over seas. I was recently reading that Ovechkin had to quit hockey for two years because his parents were unable to transport him to the rink!! If you have ever heard of a player by the name of Vladislav Tretiak, this guy served in the army and obtained a university degree, all well playing hockey at a very high level. My point is, those guys over there have to over come much, much more, and somehow reach the same skill level of spoiled north americans (I'm aware there are some exceptions). So this is why I'll never Cheer for Canada at the Olympics, or even consider Sid in the same class as Ovi. I'm a proud Canadian, but certainly not for Hockey. Don't get me wrong, I like a good Canadian Hockey player, but I truly admire those guys over there who come from next-to-nothing and become stars.

I HATE CROSBY

lyall
PickupHockey Pro

360 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  05:36:28  Show Profile
Personally I don't care where they come from or what they went through. All I wanna see is good hockey. Like it or not, Sid is the new Gretzky. He's an amazingly talented player & he's only 19.

.........P.S not cheering for Canada? That's sad. You should be exiled to Siberia, since you seem to like it over there so much better. Lets see how much your can over come.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  06:46:35  Show Profile
Hey IHC, I'm not sure if you remember back in the former Soviet Union but at that time, every single great Soviet Hockey player was in the Army. All of them. The Soviet Team was the Red Army. Ovetchkin's parents couldn't get him to a rink?? Boo hoo! There are many Canadian Kids that can't play hockey because thier parents can't afford the thousands of dollars a year is costs to put a kid into hockey. The next Gretzky is more than likely out there, but never played hockey before because his parents didn't have the cash. And what about a kid like Jordan Tootoo or Jonathan Cheechoo. They lived in remote areas of the country where many times they literally had to fly bush planes in and out to play hockey. There are great hockey players that came from nothing all over the world.

You don't cheer for Canada and you are a Canadian?? That's just not right.
Go to Top of Page

Novie
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
452 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  06:57:05  Show Profile
Gotta pile on here and say that not cheering for Canada, just because we're able to give our kids opportunities...that's just plain stupid.

IHC, you and I disagree on just about everything, but this is the first time I've lost any respect for you. Carey Price (sp?), the goalie for Team Canada at the World Jrs right now, drove 3.5 hours each way to the rink so he could play. People have to make some sacrifices.

Go Sens
Go to Top of Page

Guest4652
( )

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  08:03:46
So Ovechkin is better than Crosby because Crosby's Parents (his dad was an NHLer) signed him up for hockey, got him to all his games and practices. The Niedermeyers father is a doctor, should we hate one of the smoothest skaters of all time because he had the opportunity to play the game.
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  11:36:16  Show Profile
What Beans said is correct--all the Soviet players were in the Red Army, not just Tretjak. The CSKA Moscow RSL team IS the Army league. Anyway, I'd say both European and North American players are generally good, but how can you not cheer for Canada? You ARE a Canadian! Geez even I cheer for Canada (if the US and Finland get booted out of the playoff rounds)!
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  12:50:05  Show Profile
Well if you choose to sacrifice patriotism for admiration then go ahead. I think both can co-exist just fine. I'm sorry man, but you find some lame excuses to hate Crosby.
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  13:21:43  Show Profile
Lets lose the personal attacks on other members.
Go to Top of Page

I HATE CROSBY
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
538 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  13:29:27  Show Profile
I would like to say....................I didn't write that!!!!!!!! my buddy (he is a bigger crosby hater than me!!!!!), "hacked on" and wrote it........That is a little too "political" for me....and I have no clue if what he wrote about Ovi is even true......

But I Still hate Crosby......And I don't watch international hockey...so I keep my mouth shut on that stuff!!!

(PLEASE LOCK THIS TOPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
(i'm already in everyones bad books enough as it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I HATE CROSBY
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  13:32:29  Show Profile
You are not in my bad books. Disagreements are what makes forums fun.

Change your password and punch your friend in the arm for me.

Locked.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page