Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Here we go again Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HawkinOilCountry
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
318 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2010 :  08:13:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What do the following things have in common:

-2004 Flames Playoff Run
-2006 Oilers Playoff Run
-2010 Canadiens Playoff Run
-Every other Montreal Playoff run in the last 10 years

Granted there are a few positive things that all of these would have in common, but there is one glaring issue that is nothing short of a black mark on the state of Hockey FANS in Canada.

Rioting, Vandalism, and Looting.

Last time I checked you don't need to break into shops, piss in the street, and light trash cans on fire to celebrate a big win.

These people are classless and are an embarassment to thier Teams; their Cities, this great Country of ours, and Hockey as a whole.

When Ottawa went to the Finals I didn't see news articles describing the number of arrests and amount of property damage caused after every win. That's not to say it didn't happen; I honestly don't know if it did or not. Still seemed like the Sens fans composed themselves a little better.

But the fact that this happens at all and in particular that it happens everytime the Habs make it out of the first round is rediculous. Show some Class! Your team does, why can't the fans!?!?

Yes I'm aware that it's bandwagon fans; and it's only a few bad apples; etc; etc. I just needed to rant.

Done.

The arena wall in chicago should be credited with a goal.

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2010 :  08:27:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well said! It disgusts me to see this crap time after time. I was so glad the fans here behaved as well as they did after the Olympic Gold medal win as this entire city was as nervous as could be following the '94 riots when we lost game 7 of the final.

You're absolutely right, it's not the true hockey fans or fans of their team, it's the hooligans that jump on board and follow the playoff run as an excuse to go out, get hammered and do really stupid things!

Wish the police had a little more force they could use to stop this crap!
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2010 :  08:28:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Totally agree, its ridiculous. Still, I cant really be surprised.... like you mentioned, it seems to happen every time. I feel bad for anyone who has a store on St Catherine street haha. Hab fans may be pretty classless at times, (not all of them, but some (most)) but man do they love their habs.

17 years without a cup for Montreal is like an eternity to them, and knocking off wash and pitt is pretty huge. They have good reason to be excited, its just that now with Montreal going the rest of the way as FAVORITES, they could be in for a pretty hard fall.

-

Ottawa would need fans and a downtown before they could riot anyways.... thats why you didnt hear much about it in 07.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

Guest0288
( )

Posted - 05/13/2010 :  08:36:19  Reply with Quote
Only in Montreal. Ottawa did not riot. Vancouver did not riot. Toronto did not riot when the Jays won.

And it happens win or lose because these fans (not all but most) are poor winners and extremely sore losers.

Go to Top of Page

Gusteroni
Rookie

Canada
225 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2010 :  10:03:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like my favorite anchorman Ron Burgundy would say "Stay classy Montreal".

Unfortunately karma is going to have none of this and the ghosts of the Forum are going to have none of this.

How bad would it have been if the Habs lost?

Sorry Canadiens fans, because some idiots ruined the celebration last night the Habs run is all but done next round. Last night was a disgrace and I'm sure any real Habs fan would agree. It is starting to look like Montreal is taking over Vancouver for the worst fans ever although I realize it was the bad apples who destroyed everything. In fact I was looking through some photos of the looting and most of the thieves I seen in the pics weren't even wearing any Canadiens gear...but some were. The so called fans were burning Pens flags and pictures of Crosby right in the streets.

The good fans need to step up and not let this happen again, don't just stand by and watch. This doesn't only look bad for your team, your city or your province, it makes Canada as a whole look bad...especially the true hockey fans.

When Hell freezes over, I'll play hockey there too.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2010 :  10:14:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually find it pretty puzzling... rioting when you lose, I can sort of get my head around that, you're pissed off that you lost, you want to kill someone, so you smash a window.

But rioting when you win? I don't understand. YOU WON - you should be celebrating. What is with Montrealers?

Alex, I agree - the celebrating after the gold medal game during the Olympics was the best celebration I have ever been in, in my life - very entertaining, everyone loves everyone, Canadians shaking hands with US fans... but you can't help but wonder, what would have happened if we'd lost? Everyone remembers '94, what happens with 10x as many people in an even bigger game?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2010 :  10:20:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't really get my fur up at these things, actually . . . any time there are big crowds in the streets, there is often the possibility for looting.

For the comment about the Jays victory (specifically the first one) in Toronto: I was there, and it was CRAZY at Yonge and Bloor. I had walked all the way down there from uptown, and then we got literally stuck there, and had to try and save our girlfriends from literally being trampled - thank goodness my buddy and I are big boys, because it was seriously scary, and we got out of there at the next opportunity after that. We saw a person jump off a two story building. Saw looting. Saw people walking on/denting cars, etc - some bad stuff, but overall, not too bad. Just because you don't see it reported, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

If the Leafs won the cup, I guarantee it's be ten times worse, and they'd need to bring in RCMP/OPP back-up.

It's the crown mentality, and I've seen it lots of times . . . yeah, it may be slightly more "enthusiastic" in Montreal, but I think only marginally so.

We live, breathe and eat hockey. As many yahoos as there are that did stuff like that that weren't real fans, I contend that many probably were.

It's emotional stuff!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Guest8366
( )

Posted - 05/13/2010 :  10:26:21  Reply with Quote
For the record, the 2004 Calgary Flames Cup run DID NOT have any rioting whatsoever. It was just one big roudy celebration on the Red Mile. We did not light cars on fire (Edmonton) or smash store windows (Montreal). We had fun and well behaved celebrations (win or lose) which were handled by police quite efficiently (lots of police presence and shutting down lots of streets before, during and after game time.
Go to Top of Page

HawkinOilCountry
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
318 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2010 :  10:49:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest8366

For the record, the 2004 Calgary Flames Cup run DID NOT have any rioting whatsoever. It was just one big roudy celebration on the Red Mile. We did not light cars on fire (Edmonton) or smash store windows (Montreal). We had fun and well behaved celebrations (win or lose) which were handled by police quite efficiently (lots of police presence and shutting down lots of streets before, during and after game time.

BS
I was on the Red Mile in 04 and the Blue Mile in 06. It happened. Guys were trying to climb power polls, pissing on cop cars, smashing windows, abusing homeless people and lighting trash on fire in BOTH cities. It was a sad sad sight. Not proud moments for Alberta.

The cops didn't start shutting down the streets for no reason.

Like I said above, it's a SMALL group of bandwagon jumpers, drunks, and hooligans that do it. But it should be embarassing to any Canadian Hockey Fan. Absolutly classless.

Hockey generates enoug of it's own bad press without "celebrations" turing into soccer riots.

The arena wall in chicago should be credited with a goal.
Go to Top of Page

grandfarfadet
Top Prospect

Canada
18 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2010 :  12:13:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While being a Habs fan, I agree that all of this was stupid. I live in a small town named Matane. It's a 8 hours road trip away from Montreal and we had a party at my appartment. We were chanting, yes. We were celebrating, yes. We were throwing home-made Molotov cocktails, absolutely not. We had a great evening watching an intense playoff game which our favorite team won. Doing all this rioting for a big win in the first round against Washington and again after eliminating Pittsburgh is just senseless. I was still a kid when they won in 1993 and we were living in Montreal. In 1995, we moved to Matane. I could understand people chanting and celebrating in the streets, mainly if we won the Cup, but all this is again, just senseless.

John Kordic is the living proof that drugs can kill! -Traduction of a famous Jean Perron sentence
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2010 :  14:29:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

I don't really get my fur up at these things, actually . . . any time there are big crowds in the streets, there is often the possibility for looting.

For the comment about the Jays victory (specifically the first one) in Toronto: I was there, and it was CRAZY at Yonge and Bloor. I had walked all the way down there from uptown, and then we got literally stuck there, and had to try and save our girlfriends from literally being trampled - thank goodness my buddy and I are big boys, because it was seriously scary, and we got out of there at the next opportunity after that. We saw a person jump off a two story building. Saw looting. Saw people walking on/denting cars, etc - some bad stuff, but overall, not too bad. Just because you don't see it reported, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

If the Leafs won the cup, I guarantee it's be ten times worse, and they'd need to bring in RCMP/OPP back-up.

It's the crown mentality, and I've seen it lots of times . . . yeah, it may be slightly more "enthusiastic" in Montreal, but I think only marginally so.

We live, breathe and eat hockey. As many yahoos as there are that did stuff like that that weren't real fans, I contend that many probably were.

It's emotional stuff!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug

Very well said and honest post Slozo. It happens everywhere, some places worse than others and certain celebrations turn uglier than others.

It's a shame it happens, but it's likely to continue sadly.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page