Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Oilers Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lyall
PickupHockey Pro

360 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2010 :  11:13:48  Show Profile
Oilers discussion - original information removed by author

Edited by - lyall on 06/18/2010 01:16:58

polishexpress
PickupHockey Pro

525 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2010 :  13:20:16  Show Profile
Big problem lyall, you probably already know Dubnyk is RFA, Cogliano is RFA. The oilers would need to sign them before they trade him, or else you would only be trading signing rights. And why would you sign then trade him? Chicago will have enough cap and contract issues of their own.

Why bother buying out Horcoff? He is useful in a 2nd/3rd line center role. If you are paying him, he might as well play for you anyway. He is only() a 5.5mil cap hit.

I think they should just try to get rid of salaries this year by trading any big contracts if possible for picks and prospects, and aim for playoffs in 2011/2012. I wish Marleau would play for the Oil, but I don't think that it would be a good idea.
Go to Top of Page

Guest7113
( )

Posted - 06/15/2010 :  12:26:16
See, I'm not so sure. Based on what I've read, the Oil are most likely to buy out Moreau and Nilsson. Cutting Nilsson loose would actually give them a credit of something like 400k to use against the cap in the upcoming year. I think this is extremely likely.

I haven't really taken a glance at the free agent market, but I think there's a plug that can be had to fill the gaps on the 3rd and 4th lines. This way they've got some actual competition in camp and they're not stuck with a team full of rookies out of necessity. Don't get me wrong - I think if Eberle, MPS, and Hall (even though I think they're taking Seguin) are ready, I think they should get their shot. It's only a matter of time before the injury bug bites again, so it's not like they're sending the lot down for the entire season anyway.

It'd be nice to have some depth in the system so they don't have to call up Liam Reddox and Taylor Chorney 20 games in.

Speaking of which, I'm loving the rumours flying around about John Scott.

Sign him!
Go to Top of Page

impropriety
Top Prospect

Canada
78 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2010 :  12:28:41  Show Profile
^This is me, not logged in.
Go to Top of Page

whereismykovalchuk
Top Prospect

Canada
19 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2010 :  13:09:53  Show Profile
cap hit doesnt change. period. salary does not cap hit how is it that hard to understand, i dont mean to be a d*** about it but seriously its how those lifetime deals that everyone whines about work

as well chicago does not want cogliano, they need to deal sharp not byfuglien, sharp has a bigger contract and byfuglien wont get as much as people think he is inconsistent and can only play in front of the net.. not soo big contract ciming his way unlike sharp...

bring back the franchise player or the team will leave like the last one
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2010 :  11:51:21  Show Profile
To be frank, I never got past the 1st line where it said to buy out Horcoff. You were joking right?? Why on earth would you firstly throw the guy under the bus for having an off year, buy out a contract that will get better in just one more season, and have nearly a $2 million cap hit for almost a decade??

Makes zero sense to me. None at all.

I continued on to see what else didn't make sense, which didn't take long.

Marleau is NOT coming anywhere near Edmonton. Why leave an established team with talent to go to a team rebuilding?? If he did leave SJ, it would not be for Edmonton.

Cogliano(former 1st round pick), Dubnyk(former 1st round pick), and another prospect/pick for a guy drafted in the 8th round who has really done nothing outside of 2 play off series against Vancouver an is completely one dimensional?? Not only that, why would Chicago want 2 RFA's and a prospect they would need to sign when they are against the Cap??

No need to even look at the line up posted. When I read that trades and signings had to be reasonable I also made the assumption that means probable. These deals are so out to lunch it's not even funny.

To say what the Oilers should do is this:

-Draft Well, meaning Seugin. He will be the better player in the long run.
-Make as many deals for draft picks as possible. Souray is still marketable.
-Move Hemsky (that's right, I said it). He is very marketable today and let's face it, he is NOT resigning with the Oilers in 2 years from now. Move him today when his contract is still reasonable and there is still life on it. Get what you can in picks/prospects.
-Don't sign a single UFA for anything more than $2 million/season or 2 years. Any UFA will only be taking ice time from a young player who should be getting experience.
-Stay the course. 2 years from competative, 3-4 years to be legitimately playoff pushing. Don't listen to the fans and media. Do what's right for the team in the long run as there is no magic bullet.

Go to Top of Page

lyall
PickupHockey Pro

360 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2010 :  01:26:25  Show Profile
P.S Does anyone know how you delete your account? I've been on Twilight forums that are more interesting than this.
....Can't believe I've believe I've been a member for 4 year! What a waste of time.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2010 :  07:56:48  Show Profile
It appears that the owner of this thread no longer wishes for it to be a thread. It is now locked.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page