Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Dino is in Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2010 :  13:42:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gues who is in the HHOF ?

Pasty

Jumbo Joe Rocks
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
410 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2010 :  14:41:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dino Ciccareli

GO SHARKS GO
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2010 :  20:23:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good guess
Go to Top of Page

whereismykovalchuk
Top Prospect

Canada
19 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2010 :  00:17:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
but does he deserve to be there???
16th all time goals from an era of record goal scoring.... not hall of fame material,never mentioned as best of the league was he even ever the best player in his division?
just because ypu play a long time does not make you HOF worthy
just because its a weak year he gets in??

bring back the franchise player or the team will leave like the last one
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2010 :  04:54:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dino Cicarelli was really a player on the cusp of that HHOF in my mind, and yet they passed on what I thought was the one shoo-in (Gilmour) and ignored the other "cusp" guys I would have put in the HHOF before Dino (Lindros, Nieuwendyk). Weird.

And then they picked two women to go in . . . yikes, start the debate!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2010 :  08:28:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are how many players in the history of the NHL with more than 600 goals??

Now, how many of them are NOT in the Hall of Fame.

Era, schmera. It means nothing. Bottom line is that Cicarelli made horrible teams average, he was brilliant in an era full of brilliant offensive talents, and if he wasn't such an odd fellow, he would have been in the HOF 15 years ago.

Totally deserved.

However, I agree that there were some huge names that deserved to be first ballot HOFer's that got screwed. Gilmour and Nieuwendyk for sure. Maybe even Fleury. What a story that would have made.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2010 :  10:19:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the key point, Beans, is that Ciccarelli scored almost 99% of his goals with at least one foot in the crease . . . he was not that skilled, IMHO. Tenacious as a bull terrier, most definitely; but also a dirty player, and one that was called untalented for most of his career by many broadcasters - including myself.

I think he is by far the worst 600 goal scorer ever, miles ahead of Gartner. My contention is that in our modern era, he never would have gotten over 350 . . . because of penalties being called much more closely to the defined rules than the wild and wooly 80s.

And I thought character was an issue to exclude other players, and yet he gets in? Terrible decision by the NHL.

Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2010 :  10:43:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm okay with Dino getting in, as Beans mentioned 600 plus goals should definitely get you into the Hall, despite the era you played in. However, I am really shocked by a few things.

1). How the **** is Pat Burns not inducted. Three Jack Adams awards, a Cup Victory, and is really on his last leg of life. Despite the fact that he is dying, he should have gotten that spot regardless. I think that that was classless on the NHL's part.

2). Why are there two women taking the spots of NHL greats this year. I agree women should be in the HHOF, but compareing them against men is ludacris, no matter what these women did for the women's game. I feel ashamed that we let guys like Dougie or Joe Nieuwendyk in favour of Angela James and Cammi Granato. Does anybody here honestly think the Baseball Hall of Fame or the Football Hall of Fame would do something like this? NO, absolutely not! The women should be in, but not in the place of NHLers. Pathetic.

Lastly, for those who haven't been to the Hall before, there is a large wall filled with all those who have been inducted behind the Stanley Cup. The women should have their own wall, much like the Builders do. If they are put alongside the likes of Wayne Gretzky or Bobby Orr then something is definitely wrong.

Overall, this is a terribly weak HHOF class. It will forever go down as the worst in history.

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  08:50:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

I think the key point, Beans, is that Ciccarelli scored almost 99% of his goals with at least one foot in the crease . . . he was not that skilled, IMHO. Tenacious as a bull terrier, most definitely; but also a dirty player, and one that was called untalented for most of his career by many broadcasters - including myself.

I think he is by far the worst 600 goal scorer ever, miles ahead of Gartner. My contention is that in our modern era, he never would have gotten over 350 . . . because of penalties being called much more closely to the defined rules than the wild and wooly 80s.

And I thought character was an issue to exclude other players, and yet he gets in? Terrible decision by the NHL.

I call garbage on a a couple of very incorrect assumptions in here(not counting the obvious sarcasm intended on the 99% foot in the crease comment). I would love to be proven wrong.

1) Show me stories/articles that talk about Ciccareli being untalent. Never have I heard that story before.

2) More penalties today?? Right. There is far less clutching and grabbing in the game today, however there were SIGNIFICANTLY more penalties called in the 80's than today. I don't have the time right now to do the full comparison, however looking at the 85/86 season, there were 36,361 PIM's in 1,680 games (21.3 PIM/game average) while 08/09 had 34,147 PIM's in 2,460 games(13.6 PIM Average). You are talking about a time when there were an average of 4 more minors called per game.

Furthermore, Dino took his share of PIM's. Of the 17 players in the history of the NHL who have 600+ goals, only Howe, Messier, and Shannahan have more PIM's than Dino.

Go to Top of Page

EddieLips
Top Prospect

1 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  13:38:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dino's a pimp!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest5052
( )

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  15:08:49  Reply with Quote
I go back to my criteria and I cant really say he was ever a great hockey player. His numbers are impressive, for sure, but never really a great.

I'm not really impressed by long term numbers, as much as dominance. To each there own, agreed. To me being really good for a long time is less important than being great for a short period of time (although I'd have to establish some basement probably around 5 years)

Pavel Bure was a dominant player in the league and got way less points than Dino, but at no point would anyone say that they would have taken Dino over Bure for a run at the cup.

I agree with who ever had Lindros and Gilmour ahead of him. To me Nieuwendyk is on the cusp. Great professional and had some great success, but not sure he's a shoe in (note I think he will get in me, but to me its border line)

Just my thoughts.
Go to Top of Page

Jumbo Joe Rocks
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
410 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2010 :  05:36:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EddieLips

Dino's a pimp!!

EddieLips I was just wondering in your profile it says your an NHL GM are you realy or you just a manager in a fantasy league or NHL 10??????

go sharks go
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page