Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 2007 All Star Game Starters Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  11:37:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
West:
Roberto Luongo
Scott Niedermayer
Niklas Lidstrom
Joe Thornton
Jonathan Cheechoo
Joe Sakic

East:
Ryan Miller
Sheldon Souray
Brian Campbell
Daniel Briere
Sidney Crosby
Alexander Ovechkin

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  11:42:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The votes are in and Rory didnt make it (thank god)

I am ok with all but:
Cheechoo - bad year and must have almost as many fans as Rory
Campbell - Not sold on him as an all-star game starter. Haven't seen him play enough though.

I am ok with Luongo but Hasek has probably been the best goalie in the West.
Go to Top of Page

pucker
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
398 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  11:54:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Luongo is solid and he was the first star in the NHL last week so he is a good pick in my eyes. I agree that Cheechoo shouldnt be there - especially over Iginla. But I guess that is what happens when his fan base (other than leigh and blade) does not know how to use a computer. OOOOOHHHHHH - just kidding boys.

Hossa and Jagr are missing but there are so many strong offensive players in the east they cant all be starters.
Go to Top of Page

blade
Rookie

Canada
199 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  12:01:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blown away that Iginla is not in there over Cheechoo as well. I guess Cheechoo had a very memorable season last year. And thanks for the dig Pucker hahaha you are hilarious!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  12:49:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Broduer should have been #1 in the East. There are a few more arguements in the West. Selanne, Iginla, even Smyth who has played only 33 games and has 21 goals. I don't think Cheechoo belongs as a starter either.
Go to Top of Page

Ryan Harper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  13:26:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What pisses me off is that Rory Fitzpatrick and Canucks fans are being bashed everywhere. But noone complains about the ballot stuffing that made Jonathan Cheechoo a starter.

"Some people skate to the puck. I skate to where the puck is going to be."
~Wayne Gretzky
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  13:44:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Campbell's a starter?? He's good, but where's Jagr? Where is Hossa? And in the west, where are Pronger and Selanne? This list is OK for starters but it could be better. And I agree with admin--Luongo's OK as a starter, but I think Hašek is still the best of the west.
Go to Top of Page

I HATE CROSBY
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
538 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  14:02:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They got the Luongo over Hasek thing right......My most hated player outside of sid is Hasek....Hasek has played well this year, but NUMBERS DON'T TELL THE WHOLE STORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well actually, one # stands out for me. Hasek doesn't get too many shots......But more important, Hasek is a loser..He doesn't sit on the bench in the games he doesn't play (some teammate)...If any of you say it's so he doesn't get hurt, I strongly urge you to look at a team player like eric cole.....Not to mention he sold out ottawa (although Dom couldn't have done better than emery did in last years playoffs [minus ottawas first game against buffalo])...The ppl vote for the players they LIKE the most...I'm happy more ppl like Luongo (GREAT GUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).

GREAT BURN PUCKER HAHAHAHAHAH
I HATE CROSBY

Edited by - I HATE CROSBY on 01/11/2007 14:12:55
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  14:17:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you I HATE CROSBY & HASEK now?

You and I are in for some rough waves, buddy. Hašek's my all-time favorite goalie! The Dominator dominates...Nagano 98, he shut out Pavel Bure's shots to win gold for the Czech Republic...winner of 6 Vezina trophies...first goalie to win consecutive Hart trophies...13 shut-outs in one season...a career high .937 save percentage...fourth most wins of all active NHL goalies...10th in the NHL for shutouts...

Luongo's better? Bring it!
Go to Top of Page

I HATE CROSBY
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
538 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  14:59:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Consider it "broughten"........I have no problem admitting hasek WAS good....I really can't stand his style.......It works, and I know that's what matters, but I have a lot more respect for a more technical goalie (like ed belfour 1998-2004).....But Hasek was a prick. Remember in 97 when, first he dropped out of the playoffs for a sore hip or something (IT'S THE PLAYOFFS), then while on the sidelines, he proceeded to beat up a reporter...Hasek was always a "me-first" type player.......He should take up golf (which by the way is way more entertaining to watch on tv than hockey [but hockey is #2 on tv...and #1 live]...but that's a different topic)......Not to mention, that Nagano thing was luck...Had mark crawford put wayne in the shootout instead of joe neundike (that's bad spelling right there), hasek would have never played in the finals in nagano...Luongo has been SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better this year, I think he's started all but 3 games so far (all losses by the by)......He IS the nucks. Imagine if they had this lineup w/ cloutier as the starer. DEAD LAST would be the nucks....If the wings only had osgood, they'd still be in the top 4 in the west....if you don't concur, please admit, personality wise, hasek is a dirtbag at least.

I HATE CROSBY

Edited by - I HATE CROSBY on 01/11/2007 15:06:02
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  15:07:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I, like the admin, am not sold on Campbell as a starter. I have seen quite a few Buffalo games this year and while Campbell is obviously a reliable defenseman, I think he wouldn't have been voted in if not for his big hit on R.J. Umberger last playoffs.

I think everyone should get over the fact that Cheechoo got voted in. Last year when he would have deserved this spot much more, there was no All-Star game. Is that his fault? Sure many others deserve it more this year because Cheechoo hasn't matched his ridiculously high expectations, but at least he's no Rory who never did or will deserve to be there.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4727
( )

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  15:12:32  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailova

Campbell's a starter?? He's good, but where's Jagr? Where is Hossa? And in the west, where are Pronger and Selanne? This list is OK for starters but it could be better. And I agree with admin--Luongo's OK as a starter, but I think Hašek is still the best of the west.

I understand how you can think that Jagr and Hossa should be there but remember Fans voted for this. Obviously those players would be voted in. Its a popularity contest ( as mentioned in another thread). Thats why Cheechoo is in and also why Hasek is not. Luongo hasnt played like a superstar this year either.

Im suprised Souray and Cambell made it on defence but the east doesnt have some great defenders like Niedermayer and Lidstrom ( and Rory) although Tomas Kaberle should have been in place of Brian Cambell.

Millar has played ok this year but the spot definatly should have went to Brodeur. He is leading in shutouts and i think wins also.
Go to Top of Page

Novie
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
452 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  15:21:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailova

Are you I HATE CROSBY & HASEK now?

You and I are in for some rough waves, buddy. Hašek's my all-time favorite goalie! The Dominator dominates...Nagano 98, he shut out Pavel Bure's shots to win gold for the Czech Republic...winner of 6 Vezina trophies...first goalie to win consecutive Hart trophies...13 shut-outs in one season...a career high .937 save percentage...fourth most wins of all active NHL goalies...10th in the NHL for shutouts...

Luongo's better? Bring it!

Lets not forget his most impressive stat:

4 seasons played after the one he should have retired in.

I HATE HASEK...washed up, groin injured baby!

Go Sens
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  17:25:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by I HATE CROSBY

Consider it "broughten"........I have no problem admitting hasek WAS good....if you don't concur, please admit, personality wise, hasek is a dirtbag at least.

Well that's all I was saying!

I know and will admit Hašek is not as good as he once was (he is getting old), but when he was in his prime he ruled. I'm not talking about personality (btw, Hašek doesn't come off as a dirtbag to me--he cares about his family and founded an organization to help poor children be able to play hockey and donated over a million $ to it), just skill on the ice. You can't argue that Luongo is better now than Hašek used to be. The stats prove it all. Did Luongo do all that stuff I posted that Hašek did? Nope. Did he do anything more impressive than all that? Nope. Luongo's good, no doubt, but he's not the Dominator. 'Nuff said. (And it's "brought"..."broughten" isn't a word last time I checked...just like "Leafs" )

And WHOA--a Canadian who thinks golf is more entertaining to watch on TV than hockey??? It's a sign of the Apocalypse! LOL

Edited by - Mikhailova on 01/11/2007 17:52:04
Go to Top of Page

I HATE CROSBY
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
538 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  18:15:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When hasek was luongos age he was ed belfour's backup.......so beware the spanish stallion (well, part spanish at least)....ps: the "broughten" in quotations indicates I was aware it's not a word.....and I'd rather go to a hockey game rather than go to a golf tournament (minus the masters)...but golf is solid on tv (so is hockey)

I HATE CROSBY
Go to Top of Page

blade
Rookie

Canada
199 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  18:29:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by I HATE CROSBY

Consider it "broughten"........I have no problem admitting hasek WAS good....I really can't stand his style.......It works, and I know that's what matters, but I have a lot more respect for a more technical goalie (like ed belfour 1998-2004).....But Hasek was a prick. Remember in 97 when, first he dropped out of the playoffs for a sore hip or something (IT'S THE PLAYOFFS), then while on the sidelines, he proceeded to beat up a reporter...Hasek was always a "me-first" type player.......He should take up golf (which by the way is way more entertaining to watch on tv than hockey [but hockey is #2 on tv...and #1 live]...but that's a different topic)......Not to mention, that Nagano thing was luck...Had mark crawford put wayne in the shootout instead of joe neundike (that's bad spelling right there), hasek would have never played in the finals in nagano...Luongo has been SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better this year, I think he's started all but 3 games so far (all losses by the by)......He IS the nucks. Imagine if they had this lineup w/ cloutier as the starer. DEAD LAST would be the nucks....If the wings only had osgood, they'd still be in the top 4 in the west....if you don't concur, please admit, personality wise, hasek is a dirtbag at least.

I HATE CROSBY

golf more entertaining than hockey????what the...?!?!?! This explains a lot of your comments I HATE CROSBY.
Go to Top of Page

Ripley
PickupHockey Pro

USA
365 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  18:36:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let's face it. Fan voting is good in theory. But in reality it is lame and flawed. Roughly speaking, give it multiple voting components:

1) media
2) players
3) coaches
4) fans

each contribute 25% of the weight.

Go to Top of Page

pucker
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
398 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  21:52:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley

Let's face it. Fan voting is good in theory. But in reality it is lame and flawed. Roughly speaking, give it multiple voting components:

1) media
2) players
3) coaches
4) fans

Yah except the fans pay the bills so why not keep it as is. I still dont see the issue here. Sure its a popularity contest. It is who the fans want to see play in the game and in the skills competition. Heaven forbid the NHL caters to the fans (for once)

The flaw is in the fact that the leagues online system was a joke. Why not limit the number of times one can vote? Pretty sure its not hard to do.
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2007 :  11:48:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let the all star game be what it is, an exhibition of tallent. Have the Players Coaches and GM's sellect the first and second all star teams at the end of the season, like the old days ...

After all tomorrow is another day...

Edited by - PuckNuts on 01/14/2007 11:49:36
Go to Top of Page

vintage
Top Prospect

Canada
97 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  21:07:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
True enough that Brian campbell isnt the best player but tsn analyists say (not saying bob mckenzie and crew are the best with best facts) that he is the most improved player along with cleary form the wings brian has already over triple the amount of goals he has already this year than previous years. This can give him the egde to improve and give him a taste for more of this sort of stuff.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  08:03:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, so much to discuss:

1) It is shocking to say, but IHC has made some points I strongly agree with. Golf is the best sport to watch on TV in summer, but the winter is owned by hockey. He is right about Hasek though. His stats were very good and he is have a hell of a year this year "on paper." Historically however, he has been a unreliable player. Very much a me first kind of guy. Also, looking at this year, how much help does he get with the fact his d-men are, in my opinion, the best starting 6 in the game. Lidstrom, Schneider, Kronvall, Lebda, Markov, and Chilios. They are a combined +75!! There was an arguement in other forums that Giguire's year was due to having a great Defensive core. Well, Anaheim's top 6 defensemen are a combined +39. Compare that to Detroit, and that tells me Hasek is getting a lot of help. To prove that, look at the fact that he has faced less shots that pretty much every other starting goalie in the league.

2) Bab's as much as I respect your opinion, I strongly disagree with Cheechoo as a starter. This is the All Star game for this year, not last year. When players like Iginla and Selanne are not starters over Cheechoo when looking at this season, it just is not right.

3) Anyone who thinks that Hasek should be a starter over Broduer is on something.

Beans Out
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  08:27:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Beans, I don't think Hašek should start instead of Brodeur, but I do think he's still at least somewhat of a good goalie. He's not what he used to be, but he's still got some skill. Nonetheless though, Brodeur should definitely be the starter instead of Hašek.
Go to Top of Page

I HATE CROSBY
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
538 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  19:13:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i must have missed the memo where Hasek could start over Brodeur.......They are in different conferences

I HATE CROSBY
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  11:10:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah...haha that was dumb. I was just responding to Beans' post about Hašek starting over Brodeur but I didn't even think about the fact that they're not in the same conference...lol
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  11:14:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, I missed that too. I will accept one negative redneck comment for my stupidity.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  12:30:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pucker

quote:
Originally posted by Ripley

1) media
2) players
3) coaches
4) fans

Yah except the fans pay the bills so why not keep it as is. I still dont see the issue here. Sure its a popularity contest. It is who the fans want to see play in the game and in the skills competition. Heaven forbid the NHL caters to the fans (for once)
The flaw is in the fact that the leagues online system was a joke. Why not limit the number of times one can vote? Pretty sure its not hard to do.

Sorry Pucker, I don't agree. The All-Star game in any league or tournament right down to the peewee level is a reward for those players who shine and earn it. If we have to put in a "fan vote" then it should be a part of a bigger machine at least. Or maybe the fans could choose the starting line up from a list of players selected by people who know more? At the very least ripley's idea is ok.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  12:05:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the idea of fan voting, but not on every player in the league. I think the league could have a process of having the top players for each position that year and fans can choose from that.
Go to Top of Page

-oil-country-
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
988 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  19:27:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i also like the idea of van voting and what beans said was good too but i think fans should only get to vote once or max of 10 cause someone could sit there and vote for the favourite player 100 times
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  21:08:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I could vote from my van ?

After all tomorrow is another day...
Go to Top of Page

-oil-country-
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
988 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2007 :  10:05:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol sorry *FAN
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2007 :  11:21:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Admin, u think hasek has been the best in the west, well i guess the rest of the luegue doesnt think facing 20 shots and under and letting goals in because he slids out to the blueline, he didnt even make the game, his stats may be good, but did u see the recent colorado game 15 SHOTS ON NET and maybe 3 GOOD SAVES + 1 BAD GOAL= NO ALL-STAR GAME!!!

CANUCKS RULE!!
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2007 :  12:14:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Canucks Man

but did u see the recent colorado game 15 SHOTS ON NET and maybe 3 GOOD SAVES + 1 BAD GOAL= NO ALL-STAR GAME!!!

1 bad game does not = bad goalie

Edited by - Mikhailova on 02/03/2007 12:14:50
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2007 :  12:35:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didnt say he was a bad goalie, but not worthy of an allstar apperance,

CANUCKS RULE!!
Go to Top of Page

-oil-country-
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
988 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2007 :  12:51:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
him only having 20 or lower shots against per game just means they have good defense and he would have even better at the all-star game
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2007 :  15:41:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the final in the all star game was 12-9, there was no defence

CANUCKS RULE!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic