Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Teams of the future Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2010 :  01:10:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With all of the trade talk going on, I've seen a lot of people referencing 'young' teams that are developing youth in hopes of being legit contenders in the next couple of years.

With that being said, I want you all to tell me who you feel will be the top 3 teams in both the West & East, within 2 years. (2011-2012 Season).
--

I'll begin.

East
-------
1. Washington Capitals

With the core in tact and plenty of youth on the roster and within the system, I see Washington being a dominant force within two years time. Not that, they aren't now. But I think they will still be lethal.

2. Tampa Bay Lightning

This will likely be Stamkos team by then. With guys like Hedman on the back-end joining him, I think Yzerman can build a good team around these guys.

3. Florida Panthers

Dave Tallon has a lot of young pieces to work with here. They will take some time to develop to the level of competing. But, by 2011-2012, they should be starting to come in to their own. Cup Contenders? Likely not. But, a season or two after they could be if done properly.

West
--------
1. LA Kings

What can I say about the Kings. I think they will be the most dominating team in the league, by this time. With Johnson, Doughty, Kopitar, Simmonds, Quick, Bernier, Schenn, Hickey, Moller, etc... the list goes on, this team will be young and strong as any.

2. St. Luis Blues

Another team with a stud d-man named Johnson. The Blues have a young team shaping up right now. And, within two years time, they should only be more experience and better.

3. Colorado Avalanche

The Avs youth showed this year, that within two years time, they could be true Cup contenders. They grossly overachieved, but at the same time, they gave us a real glimpse of what they could be.

---
I could go on with the West, as many teams have young cores in tact right now that will continue to impress. Chicago, Anaheim, etc..

The East, the Pens with Malkin, Staal, Fluery, Letang & Crosby are all young and all stars.

But, I tried focusing on teams that are, strictly developing youth right now with not so much success at this point. But, should have in the future. The East was tougher, since, the young teams there are already performing more so than the West.

Irvine/prez.

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2010 :  07:31:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I say Edmonton and Islanders are the two teams of the future. Kings and Washington are young and will be force for years to come. I agree with Tampa Bay and Colorado. And I think St Louis and Florida will stay as middle of the pack type of team. Florida seems to be a team always fighting for a playoff spot and falling short therefore resulting in a not so good draft pick. They have a ton of good prospects and depth but I don't think they have what it needs to battle for the southeast division crown with a team like Washington. In their prime Florida might go as high as 6th in the east and then fall back into 9th or 10th. We'll see.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2010 :  09:09:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
East:

Honestly, I really don't see much changing in the east, it will be dominated by WSH, PIT, PHI, NJ for the forseeable future IMO, regardless of youth movements in other teams. However, some notables "to watch":

- BOS: They had an off year last year, but I think they are going to be a power in the east for the next few years, esp if they can resign Chara and get rid of Thomas. Good core of forwards, further bolstered by Seguin, most of them young. Next summer should be interesting for them, they have some key UFA's to deal with (Bergeron, Chara, Sturm)

- NYI: I don't know how a team that has picked as high as they have, as consistently as they have, cannot be better now, but there it is. Still, they have a very solid young core. This summer is going to be a very defining moment for them IMO, they only have 7 players under contract for next year, and some of the names up for renewal: Bailey, Okposo, Shcremp, Moulson, Wisniewski, Martinek, Jurcina, among others. If they can lock up a significant chunk of that youth core, and manage to attract some free agents, they'll be good.

- TB: I thought they would dominate last year, boo for me. They look even better this year, and have one of the more impressive top-5 forwards (Lecavalier, Gagne, St Louis, Malone, Stamkos). Their defense is lacking right now, but look for them to make a move this season to get someone. Goaltending is their real achilles heel, we'll see what Ellis can do. I can't see them not doing really well.

West:

A bit easier, although I think that DET, VAN, SJ are still the teams to beat in their respective divisions right now. However, there are some definite up and coming teams to be looking at:

- LA: I think a consensus choice for up-and-coming-hockey-power in the west, they have built well, and the next 3-5 years should see strong hockey in LA. It would not surprise me to see them challenge for #1 in the conference in 2 years.

- EDM: Too much promising talent on that team to ignore, if all the youth they drafted pans out, they'll be another CHI-style team in 3 years. Beans, you must be all a-twitter at the prospects on that team!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2010 :  09:38:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the words of Robert Frost, there are miles to go before we sleep. The Oilers have a good start but are still far away from anything. It's all on potential right now. Eberle, Hall, and Svensson have played a combined 0 NHL games. Gagner is the only current young player with NHL experience worth anything. Hemsky will be gone in 2 years and there are still a ton of questions about Penner's ability night in and night out. Couple that with a defense that is depending on Alex Plante and Jeff Petry to turn out to be NHLers. They are also banking on Oliver Roy to be the next Patrick Roy.

Miles to go, but the road is far less bumpy than it was 12 months ago.
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2010 :  09:38:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I should point out that, I don't feel these teams will place 1, 2, 3 in terms of overall standings.

I mean, as opposed to veteran teams that currently dominate each year, and, will continue to do so in the next two.

A team like Chicago (who have done well that past couple years), Pittsburgh, Detroit, NJ, VAN, even Washington (although I included them, as the East is tough to decide) since it's going to be the same teams over and over, the next few years.

Also, I forgot about Edmonton in the West. They would slot in 2. over the Blues for me.

And, Blues/Avs would be a close 3-tie for me.

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2010 :  12:45:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans - am I more upbeat on EDM than you? Did the universe invert itself while I was eating lunch?

0 games played, granted - I didn't say EDM was going to win the cup. But I don't remember a time when a team had this many highly-prized young rookies poised to make the big team in the same season - other than CHI with Kane and Toews or PIT with Malkin and Crosby. If things pan out the way EDM management hopes - even if its only 2 of the 3 - they will be a force in the west for years to come.

Hemsky - I'm curious, do you think he will not be back as an Oiler after this deal is up? Had he gone UFA this past summer, I think he might have left...but in 2 years, EDM could be a rockin' place to be playing hockey. Is it management that is down on him, or is he down on Edmunchuk?

Edited by - nuxfan on 08/17/2010 12:46:10
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2010 :  13:11:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Montreal Canadians anyone?

Now before you jump all over me for having my red white and blue glasses on, I do think the habs will take a step back this year, but I do think POTENTIALLY we have a dominant team in the next few years,

With very solid vetran forwards in Thomas Plekanec Scott Gomez Brian Gionta and Mike Cammalleri all signed for another 5 years very good young energy players in guys like Max Lapierre, Dustin Boyd, Tom Pyatt in place, very high upside to a player like Benoit Pouliot, Great potential from young players like Lars Eller, Dany Kristo, Louis Leblanc, Jarred Tinordi, P.K Subban, not to mention the occaisonal late bloomer in Mathieu Carle, Yannik Weaber, Ben Maxwell, Brock Trotter or Alexander Avstin. If Carey Price continues to developp into a very good starting Goalie and we can resign Markov to a cap friendly hit,, with Contracts like the Hamirlik one going away after this year, this team is looking towards a very bright futur in my humble opinion and i really do not think it is Bias of me to think so

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2010 :  14:06:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pasty, like Edmonton, Montreal needs all the stars to align for them to be good. Price is still not even signed and no one knows if he will regain his form. Plekanec had a nice season last season but has been a yo-yo in production since he came into the NHL. Who knows which one will show up.

When considering the teams of the future, I would consider teams that have young-NHL ready or experienced talent. Montreal has the 12th oldest team in the NHL. Not horrible, but not really young like STL, COL, and even TO.

Finally, for a team to be great, they need superstar draft picks. That's just today's NHL. Look at the great teams today and they all have superduper draft picks. Since Price was drafted 5th in 2005, Montreal has drafted 20th, 12th, 56th, 18th, and 22nd. That's just not high enough quality players to build a team around or keep a team strong.

You do have he rouge shades on today my man, because Montreal is on the down swing in my opinion, not the upswing.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2010 :  14:35:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans you're 100% right we are in a down turn this year but something will have to go seriously wrong for none of these blue chip prospects to turn into at least NHL regulars, for a team who hasn't been a lottery team anytime recently that list of prospects is extremly thick and as good as it gets, and this is a team that did go to the conference finals last year, and this Price not signed stuff means nothing he is a RFA with no arbitration rights his only option is to boy cot training camp,,, or sit out the season and no young 23 year old Goalie is going to do that.. h will sign

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

Guest3039
( )

Posted - 08/25/2010 :  23:20:10  Reply with Quote
Not FLorida. Definitely not Florida. I dont even feel like I need to explain myself on this one.
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2010 :  00:20:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest3039

Not FLorida. Definitely not Florida. I dont even feel like I need to explain myself on this one.

I agree 100% with this statement. This team is doomed... poor Booth is 1 solid concussion away from retirement, they are thin at ALL positions, their youth is going to be thrown to the wolves before they are ready... kinda reminds of the Leafs circa 1985!

Edited by - 99pickles on 08/26/2010 00:28:00
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2010 :  08:33:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 99pickles

quote:
Originally posted by Guest3039

I agree 100% with this statement. This team is doomed... poor Booth is 1 solid concussion away from retirement, they are thin at ALL positions, their youth is going to be thrown to the wolves before they are ready... kinda reminds of the Leafs circa 1985!

FLA is in the exactly position Chicago was in 4 years ago. Mark my words, this team will be one of the best in the East in the next 3-5 seasons. Dale Tallon is one of the best GM's in the game today.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2010 :  20:21:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah Beans . . . Florida is EXACTLY where Chicago was, minus all the great draft picks, and not in a desireable, hockey knowledgable city where you can get marketed, and except for the fact that it's all about baseball there in a smaller market (see: lots of old people) . . .. suuuuuure, I am just sure Tallon will save them.

But one question: how will Tallon get guys of the stature of Hosse to sign with Florida? How will he sign his as yet non-existant Norris trophy guy to a longer term deal without him bolting? And who exactly will he replace Vokoun with when he finally gets too old?

Sorry, but I am with the others here . . . Florida is going nowhere but to the bottom of a dirty urinal.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2010 :  20:34:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are enough quality players who will come for money and don't want to play in fishbowl cities that will come.

Let's not forget all the deals he made this season. 13 draft picks this season alone. 3-1st rounders and 3-2nd rounders including a potential stud in Gudbranson at #3 overall. Kulikov is proving to be a great pick last season too.

I have been known to be wrong a few times before, but one thing that has been the theme of the NHL since the lock out is that teams that succeed do it through the draft not through free agency. Tallon has the skills to pick the right guys.

Time wil tell.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4803
( )

Posted - 08/29/2010 :  15:20:27  Reply with Quote
i have to take beans side Florida is on the rise, 3 firsts this year 5 if you include former firsts Bernier and Grabner, tallon as the GM, 3 years from now Florida will be a good team and will contend in the East.
Go to Top of Page

Guest7364
( )

Posted - 08/30/2010 :  10:40:32  Reply with Quote
i really like the way the kitchener rangers r going look for them to win the cup next year and possibly the olympics
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page