Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey Pools & Fantasy Hockey
 Players to avoid - 2010-2011 Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest2394
( )

Posted - 09/17/2010 :  10:43:10  Reply with Quote
Hey guys,
I want to list the players you want to avoid during the draft and why.

So, I will start with the info I got, you guys can add yours!

Sam Gagner : HIP - Questionable for the start of training camp
P-M Bouchard : Concussion - Not ready to play
Jordan Staal : Foot - Will miss at least a month
Peter Mueller : Concussion - Questionable for the start of training camp
Maxim Afinogenov : Europe
Sheldon Souray : Wont play for the Oilers
Niklas Kronwall : Knee - Questionable for the start of training camp
Andrei Markov : Knee - May return near Christmas
Paul Kariya : Will not play
James Sheppard : Out for 4 month
Nikolai Khabibulin : Maybe jail?
Rick DiPietro : Knee - Questionable for the start of training camp

Not signed :
Bill Guerin
Brendan Morrison
Dominic Moore
M-A Bergeron
Fredrik Modin
Kyle Wellwood
Richard Park
Jose Theodore

Thanks!

Gusteroni
Rookie

Canada
225 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2010 :  13:24:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Injured:

Sami Salo - Achillis surgery, out indefinitely
Alexandre Burrows - Shoulder surgery, out 1 to 2 months
Marco Sturm - Knee surgery, out possibly 2 months
Paul Ranger - Personal, who knows what his issue is
Chris Pronger - Questionable for Oct. 7 after knee surgery
Matt Greene - Shoulder surgery, out 1 - 2 months
Joffrey Lupul - Off season back surgery, questionable for Oct. 8

Unsigned:

Andreas Lilja - Invite to Sharks camp
Jonathan Cheechoo - Invite to Stars camp
Ruslan Fedotenko - Invite to Rangers camp
Garnet Exelby - Rangers camp
Darcy Tucker
Miroslav Satan
Owen Nolan
Ray Emery
Lucas Krajicek
Shane Hnidy

Fredrik Modin was signed by Atlanta. There may be a few players heading to Europe this year because I`m sure not all these guys will be signed.

"When Hell freezes over, I'll play hockey there too."
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2010 :  16:59:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Myself, I would take Jordan Staal off the list. Here's why:

1. Sept 16th it was reported that 5 or 6 weeks would be the time that Staal would need to recover, and at earliest he could play Oct 17. That's 6 games, 9 at most.

2. There are rumours that Malking might move up to Crosby's line to play wing, and moving Staal up a rung - a big rung - to the second line. More minutes, perhaps more skilled linemates, more scoring.

3. All that, together with the fact that Staal hadn't missed one game before this injury, means Staal is a huge gamer, and will be back with a vengance, potentially getting more minutes.

And, he's coming off a year where he had another 49 points playing the third line center. Imagine what happens when he gets bumped up with more minutes.

Keep him, he'll get at least 50 points this year, and in a keeper draft, Staal might have a ceiling of 70, 80 points - who knows?

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

.deuce6
Top Prospect

3 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2010 :  18:13:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dominic Moore was signed by TB
Go to Top of Page

Guest2394
( )

Posted - 09/21/2010 :  06:35:19  Reply with Quote
Here is the updated list, keep the good work guys :)

Sam Gagner : HIP - Questionable for the start of training camp
P-M Bouchard : Concussion - Not ready to play
Peter Mueller : Concussion - Questionable for the start of training camp
Niklas Kronwall : Knee - Questionable for the start of training camp
Paul Kariya : Will not play 2010-2011
Nikolai Khabibulin : Maybe jail?
Rick DiPietro : Knee - Questionable for the start of training camp
Sami Salo: Achillis surgery, out indefinitely
Alexandre Burrows : Shoulder surgery, out 1 to 2 months
Marco Sturm : Knee surgery, out possibly 2 months
Paul Ranger : Personal, who knows what his issue is
Chris Pronger : Questionable for Oct. 7 after knee surgery
Matt Greene : Shoulder surgery, out 1 - 2 months
Joffrey Lupul : Off season back surgery, questionable for Oct. 8
Chris Drury : Broken finger - Out 4-5 weeks
Marc Savard : Concussion - Out indefinitely

Not signed :
Bill Guerin
Brendan Morrison
M-A Bergeron
Kyle Wellwood
Richard Park
Jose Theodore
Darcy Tucker
Miroslav Satan
Owen Nolan
Ray Emery
Lucas Krajicek
Shane Hnidy
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2010 :  08:32:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, let's start with the big names . . . my thoughts on the players that I am personally going to avoid picking in my hockey pools this year:

Marian Gaborik
Will be sure to disappoint, and with Drury out, that takes out the most talented center from the Ranger's depth chart, and that's not saying much these days. Yes, it didn't matter last year as Gaborik was a one man show; but I would never pick Gabby to have two healthy, productive seasons in a row . . . especially after a monster year where he is going to be a top draft pick, as opposed to a sleeper. The risk/reward was worth it last year, but this year, it most certainly isn't. Avoid!

Marc Savard
Concussion troubles are dogging this guy, and he is currently sitting out, probably for a month at least from the hints that are coming out of Bruins management. I'll avoid him for sure . . . but if everyone stays away from him for just that reason, he's a reasonable gamble in the late rounds.

Matt Stajan
He was terrible with Iginla, and that is why Jokinen is back. Second line for sure, with the potential for third line duty if he falters or Langkow or Conroy do better. Yes, he may be playing with Hagman, who he has had good chemistry with . . . but his totals last year were inflated, playing on the top line for a bad team most of the time. With Calgary? He got 3 goals, 13 assists in 27 games, playing with Iginla for at least a third of the time, maybe more. A defensive team, less minutes, means that 57 points last year will be a distant memory, and you should treat him as the 40-45 point player he is.

That's all I got for now, more later.

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2010 :  09:34:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Well, let's start with the big names . . . my thoughts on the players that I am personally going to avoid picking in my hockey pools this year:

Marian Gaborik
Will be sure to disappoint, and with Drury out, that takes out the most talented center from the Ranger's depth chart, and that's not saying much these days. Yes, it didn't matter last year as Gaborik was a one man show; but I would never pick Gabby to have two healthy, productive seasons in a row . . . especially after a monster year where he is going to be a top draft pick, as opposed to a sleeper. The risk/reward was worth it last year, but this year, it most certainly isn't. Avoid!

Could not disagree more. Firstly, because Gaborik played most of the games I watched last year on the first line with Prospal and Dubinsky (not Drury). Secondly, the potential of Frolov's talents on the other wing will support Gaborik more than he's had since his time playing with Demitra. Thirdly, his durability though last season (76 NHL games plus the Olympics) should be proof enough that his groin issues have been repaired.

That being said, I am not saying go out and draft him in the 1st round, however to avoid him would be foolish. Even in his injury filled career he has found a way to produce 55+ points in 6 of his 9 NHL season, 5 being more than 6 points and 2 being more than 80. He is absolutely worth the risk if he is picked at the right time. 1st round is a huge gamble but if you can get him in the 2nd or 3rd round he is a sound pick.

Gaborik healthy for 1/2 the season is as good or better than most any 2nd line player in the NHL depending on the set up of your pool.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2010 :  14:17:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's the thing though, Beans - he is a pretty guaranteed 55 points, with a potential upside of what we saw last year - 40 goals, 80 or 90 points (oops - just 86, never got to 90, so my prediction in that regard is still safe).

However, unless you are in a tiny pool of under 10 people, Gaborik will be gone by at least the high second round, probably sooner though - as a forward, 8th or 9th at latest. I say this after he had a monster season last year.

Myself, when weighing that risk/reward, I would pick him high midrounds, where I pick my 50/60 point players with big upside.

I know he played mostly with Prospal, but they were never stuck together permanently . . . it was a rotating committee.

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2010 :  14:33:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slozo....sounds like you rate him like i do a guy like T. Hall. I know he will go earlier than i'm willing to take him and therefore i leave him for someone else. A guy like Gaborik, i'd only take if he were available with the 65-70 point guys. Yes, he'll prob get more than that, but he's just still too risky for me. I'll let one of my competitors take their chances with him!
Go to Top of Page

polishexpress
PickupHockey Pro

525 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2010 :  21:06:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya, but I start thinking like that in a draft, and all the good players are gone, and I'm left with mediocre, albeit healthy, players.

I say the players to watch out for are Dustin Byfuglien, Jason Arnott.

Buff will be coming off a Stanley Cup hangover and will have nowhere near the cast of players that he had in Chicago- no playoff like performance this regular season.

Arnott, playing for a stacked NJ Devils team, is getting old and you just don't know where he will play (if a center is traded, then he may pay off, other than that, he's looking to me like he's fighting for the second line spot)
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2010 :  21:16:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

Slozo....sounds like you rate him like i do a guy like T. Hall. I know he will go earlier than i'm willing to take him and therefore i leave him for someone else. A guy like Gaborik, i'd only take if he were available with the 65-70 point guys. Yes, he'll prob get more than that, but he's just still too risky for me. I'll let one of my competitors take their chances with him!

65-70 points is good enough to be a top 30 point getter in virtually any of the past 10 seasons!! That means Gaborik should be going in the 2nd or 3rd round because of his upside. Also appreciating that many pools have trades through the season, if Gaborik gets hurt you can dump him. Ultimately, my pools have the trades based on most man games missed due to injury so that makes Gaborik even more appealing. He is not a 1st round pick, but he is definitely at 2nd round or at the latests early 3rd round pick.

Injuries or not.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2010 :  22:36:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans, tsk, tsk, you didn't do your homework, did you?

Last year 70 got you in the tie for 26th with 5 guys. Before that, in the past 5 years you weren't in the top 30 with that same 70pts! A couple of years earlier in the decade, it was barely enough again but granted, did sneak you into the top 30. Keep in mind, that's 70 pts, not 65, 66, 67, 68 or 69!

Either way, it really depends on the draft i guess? In a ten team league, he's likely a 3rd or 4th rounder. If you've got 15 teams, yeah, 2nd round is quite likely. Can't really argue without some sort of parameter but i maintain, i'd draft him for 65-70 and 95% of the time, he'll be gone before that by someone who will take the risk i'm not willing to! Love the guy as a player when he's healthy, but i need to see another relatively inj free season before i have the confidence in him to draft him as a little more risk free.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2010 :  23:01:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gotta agree with Beans on Gaborik - he has built a career of better than PPG on teams that don't score very many goals (NYR last year, MIN before that). NYR had pretty average offensive output last year, and that should improve this year with the addition of Frolov. Gaborik should do as well or better than last year, now that he has settled into NY. If he stays healthy, 90-100 pts - and half of them goals - is not out of the question.

When he goes depends on your pool. We put a premium on goals - goals are worth 2 pts vs 1 for assists - so Gaborik goes high second round or low first round in mine for sure.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2394
( )

Posted - 09/24/2010 :  07:47:24  Reply with Quote
Peter Mueller : Concussion - Out indefinitely
Carey Price : Just Chillin' :)
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2010 :  11:47:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
man that is a shame about Mueller...22 years old and already 2 serious concussions. Methinks his NHL career will not last long...
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2010 :  11:57:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really does suck, he seemed to gel with his linemates in Colorado after the move there last season going 9-11-20 in just 15 games!!! Would have loved to see what this "kid" could have done this year. No telling when or if we'll ever see him to his full potential.
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2010 :  15:08:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
memories of Eric Lindros......

"Can't see the forest for the trees? BUY A CHAINSAW !!"
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2010 :  16:29:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stajan - seperated shoulder. Bad way for me to be right, but there it is . . .

. . . and there goes Iggy's other potential set-up man. Jokinen just got more pressure to perform, and we all know how he adjusts to pressure!

Iginla may have trouble getting 20 goals this year.

Easy Leigh - just kiddin'. I think.

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2010 :  19:13:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never imagined Stajan lasting long with Iggy if he even got the chance so having said that, if Jokinen and Iggy don't click this time, the Flames really have no choice but to get themselves a better center who can play with him otherwise they'll find themselves on the outside looking in come playoff time.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2010 :  21:08:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Stajan - seperated shoulder. Bad way for me to be right, but there it is . . .

. . . and there goes Iggy's other potential set-up man. Jokinen just got more pressure to perform, and we all know how he adjusts to pressure!

Iginla may have trouble getting 20 goals this year.

Easy Leigh - just kiddin'. I think.

Tanguay is Iginla's intended setup man a pass first player who is quick enough to skate with Iginla,, Staja was second line scoring depth

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

Guest2394
( )

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  05:16:06  Reply with Quote
Do you guys have any info on the players I listed as "Questionable"? As they were questionable for the start of the training camp and got no news since pre-season started.

Out indefinitely :
P-M Bouchard : Concussion - Out indefinitely
Marc Savard : Concussion - Out indefinitely
Peter Mueller : Concussion - Out indefinitely
Mark Streit : Shoulder - Out indefinitely
Sami Salo : Achillis surgery - Out indefinitely

Out for the season :
Paul Kariya : Will not play 2010-2011

Injuries :
Chris Drury : Broken finger - Out 4-5 weeks
Matt Greene : Shoulder surgery, out 1 - 2 months
Alexandre Burrows : Shoulder surgery, out 1 to 2 months
Marco Sturm : Knee surgery - Out 2 months

Questionable :
Rick DiPietro : Knee - ??
Sam Gagner : Hip - ??
Chris Pronger : Knee - ??
Paul Ranger : Personal - ??
Joffrey Lupul : Back surgery - ??

Not signed :
Bill Guerin
Brendan Morrison
M-A Bergeron
Kyle Wellwood
Richard Park
Jose Theodore
Darcy Tucker
Miroslav Satan
Owen Nolan
Ray Emery
Lucas Krajicek
Shane Hnidy
Go to Top of Page

Guest2394
( )

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  11:28:00  Reply with Quote
Update :

Daymond Langkow : Neck - Out indefinitely
Matt Stajan : Shoulder - Out indefinitely
Wade Redden : AHL
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2010 :  12:02:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

Figures....he fell to me in the fourth round of my draft. Surprise surprise, he's hurt! Hopefully he can still come back and get 65+?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page